How many images to make it look like walking?

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
multiverse
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How many images to make it look like walking?

Post by multiverse »

I am working on a platformer game and I want to know how many different images are needed to make it look like my character is walking. right now I have it alternating between 2 images and it looks very strange, i might be using images that dont work well together...is 2 enough or do i need more for fluid walking? also, if you can come up with any cool looking characters that have a mario-ish theme to them post them here, i am using mario now and thats not very original :P
Under-Developed Development - Now with a dash of Dreamcast!
http://www.freewebs.com/uddev/
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

To actually achieve realistic animation, you need 15 frames per second (or is it 30?). That is the minimum. However, you should be able to get away with 5 or 6 images, if they are done well. You need to have a starting point, a middle point, and an ending point. Then, you should put at least one image in between the start and middle, and at least one image in between the middle and end. So, I would say you need at least 5 images to make it look even remotely like someone is walking.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
multiverse
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by multiverse »

i dont think ur talking about the same thing i am...like in mario, are you saying that there are 15 pictures of mario each with their foot in a slightly different place?
sheng
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by sheng »

Ok... I think I can help out. What you're looking for is about 6-8 pictures that does in a loop to make realstic looking walking. That is how many used for Metroid, on the other hand you only need 3-4 for FF RPG movements.
Dream on
multiverse
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by multiverse »

well metroid is very smooth, i dont think i need that level of smoothness, ill probably stick with 3 or 4.
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

It all depends on how smooth you want your animation to be , and also remember three things ;

Bigger the resolution of the sprite equal more frames to make it seem ok.
If you go ultra smooth , you?ll have to create the same level of smoothness to the rest of animations in the game , otherwise it will look inconsistant and unproffesional.
And , most PC could hold a large ammount of frames and colors , but if you are planning on making it a console game , take care of those factors.

8 frames

curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

multiverse wrote:i dont think ur talking about the same thing i am...like in mario, are you saying that there are 15 pictures of mario each with their foot in a slightly different place?
That's why the meat of my post said:
curt_grymala wrote:However, you should be able to get away with 5 or 6 images, if they are done well. You need to have a starting point, a middle point, and an ending point. Then, you should put at least one image in between the start and middle, and at least one image in between the middle and end. So, I would say you need at least 5 images to make it look even remotely like someone is walking.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
multiverse
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by multiverse »

ya i know what u meant i just didnt think there were so many frames in a walking animation so i thought u were talking about something else

thanks for the help everyone, better start looking for some sprite sheets or something