Is Nintendo done with the GameCube?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
daisyboy13
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by daisyboy13 »

I can't wait for Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles. I can't wait.

They will get new inovative games as well as the sequels, we only hear about the sequels because that's what most people ask about.
And I don't want to live my life, like everybody else
And I won't say that I feel fine, like everybody else
cause, I'm not like everbody else
-the Kinks-
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

daisyboy13 wrote:we only hear about the sequels because that's what most people ask about.
Well, that and most of Nintendos games tend to be 'high concept' with a unique twist essentially making the game what it is.

I remember being distinctly unimpressed hearing about Pikmin before it was released (a 'dumbed down' RTS? In a garden? With little ant like creatures trying to repair a spaceship? Riiiiiiiiiiight...) but it turned out to be brilliant, with a genuinely innovative approach to the RTS genre. I'm sure theres more than a few Nintendo gems that everyone else can think of, that when they heard about in previews etc before (crucially) any one had played them yet just seemed to be a stupid / generic / poor idea for a game...

Just look at how many identikit Warcraft 3 knock-offs are cluttering up the PC Gaming market at the moment to see how easy it could have been to just do a bog standard console RTS (what other competition is there in that market anyway? N64 StarCraft?) instead of pretty much inventing its own genre

EDIT: For what its worth, I thought N64 Mario Golf sounded like the crappiest cash-in on a franchise to cynically exploit money from Nintendo fanboys I had ever heard of (other than multi colour issues of pok?mon anyway) and it ended up the most played multiplayer title I owned after GE.
daisyboy13
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by daisyboy13 »

I like to think that nintendo has a ton of sleeper games, you know, they don't sound great but once played, they rule. There are the shoe in sequels but they have a bunch of odd concepts games, that turn out well.

Full heartedly agree with you Doc.
-the Kinks-
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

daisyboy13 wrote:I can't wait for Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles. I can't wait.

They will get new inovative games as well as the sequels, we only hear about the sequels because that's what most people ask about.
It looks like it could be fun, but I don't like how they force you to use the GBA as a controller. Seems to me its just a excuse to make people buy 2 more things from Nintendo (system and cable). Im not 100% sure on the details how it works, but from what I have gathered if you want to play 2 players at the same time you both have to use a GBA. This means you have to worry about 2 things running out of batteries, use the tiny controller of the GBA, and 2 screens you gotta look at. When I play the Gamecube I want to use the Gamecube controller! Damn it the Gameboy advance is a game system, not a $100 controller!

The GBA controller is a major problem actually. Me and my friend like to play 2player games together, but he don't have a GBA and he isn't going to buy one just to play a game on gamecube (and I don't blame him, its stupid and a waste of money).
daisyboy13
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by daisyboy13 »

Yes, it seems like a scam, but nintendo's not evil. I kinda think it's an innovative idea, a new spin, you know. I know the DC had VMUs, the GBA controllers will be cooler. I know they will do it well. Know meaning hope of course.
-the Kinks-
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

Metroid Prime is ok, it's just hard as hell
Prime was arguably the easiest Metroid game for several reasons. While the controls may not be as intuitive for a first person game as a dual look scheme might have been, one does get used to them. The main problem with the difficult is that exploration was overly simplified, the secrets were blatantly obvious, and to top it off the combo recharge/save stations made sure you were never ever in real danger.
People can say what they want, but Metroid Prime does NOT play like a Metroid game.
It does retain Metroid's core gameplay mechanic, which is apparently enough for some fans, but you're right in that in many ways Prime doesn't adequately represent the Metroid franchise (at least, not as I understood it from Metroid 1-3). But, that's beside the point. Miyamoto has mentioned several times on several different sources that Metroid Prime 2 will be out this year. A new Zelda game using the Wind Waker engine has also been mentioned as a 2004 release. Mario 128 may be a GC game, though who knows. Overall I'd say this could be a very good year for Nintendo if their big franchises deliver, so don't count them out just yet.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

1LINUXuser wrote:
btm4k wrote:Seems like they're living off sequels. =\
isn't the rest of the industry? besides IMO a new mario is never a bad thing. and they are making at least one original title that i know of off hand. "Giest"

Yeah, but Nintendo themselves have called the PS2 a sequel machine.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Wow Veggita2099, it seems as though you're not a real metroid fan cause u said both Prime and fusion were hard as hell? Lol, you gotta be kidding me. Prime has the right amount of difficulty. Not too easy not too hard. Fusion on the other hand has got to be the EASIEST Metroid game out there. I guess you're used to modern, simpler games.

On to the real subject. I believe Nintendo is being secretive because they're tired of the press asking them "Do you have any new screenshots?"
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Veggita2099 wrote:
daisyboy13 wrote:I can't wait for Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles. I can't wait.

It looks like it could be fun, but I don't like how they force you to use the GBA as a controller. Seems to me its just a excuse to make people buy 2 more things from Nintendo (system and cable). Im not 100% sure on the details how it works, but from what I have gathered if you want to play 2 players at the same time you both have to use a GBA. This means you have to worry about 2 things running out of batteries, use the tiny controller of the GBA, and 2 screens you gotta look at. When I play the Gamecube I want to use the Gamecube controller! Damn it the Gameboy advance is a game system, not a $100 controller!

The GBA controller is a major problem actually. Me and my friend like to play 2player games together, but he don't have a GBA and he isn't going to buy one just to play a game on gamecube (and I don't blame him, its stupid and a waste of money).
For the last time, the GC DPad is the exact same one on the GBA.
Next, most people who have Gamecubes have GBAs. Hell, most people who like video games, have GBAs. Next, the link cable is a measly $10. The batteries aren't really an issue unless they are about dead anyway. And the whole purpose of using the GBA is the fact that it has a screen. You can have truly secretive information for individual players.
Last edited by toastman on Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No signature.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

While the controls may not be as intuitive for a first person game as a dual look scheme might have been, one does get used to them.
Am I the only one that finds dual joystick controls for FPS games awkward? Especially with the craptacular C-stick.
For the last time, the GBA DPad is the exact same one on the GBA.
I assume you mean Cube. And I wouldn't want to play a Cube game with the Cube/GBA d-pad, as no matter what system it is in, it is too small.. The advantage the GBA has is that it has better placement, but it is still too small.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

daisyboy13 wrote:Yes, it seems like a scam, but nintendo's not evil.
Any idea that forces you to spend more money is evil. I think this will blow up in their faces, big time.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

btm4k wrote:Seems like they're living off sequels. =\
Good for them. Nintendo is about the only company that has a memerable figure promoting their system. What does PS2 have? Well, they use to have Crash, but look what happened to him. What does Xbox have? Blinx was suppose to be it, but that game was pretty much a flop. So Nintendo has a huge advantage with it's millions of promotable mascots they can use.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

WillSams wrote:
Any idea that forces you to spend more money is evil. I think this will blow up in their faces, big time.
Like buying games. I mean, come on, I just shelled out $100 bucks, the least you could do is supply me with the damn games for free.
That's it. These video game companies are evil. Forcing me to spend money to play games. Pah.
No signature.
daisyboy13
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by daisyboy13 »

toastman wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:

For the last time, the GC DPad is the exact same one on the GBA.
Next, most people who have Gamecubes have GBAs. Hell, most people who like video games, have GBAs. Next, the link cable is a measly $10. The batteries aren't really an issue unless they are about dead anyway. And the whole purpose of using the GBA is the fact that it has a screen. You can have truly secretive information for individual players.
Word mate, it's just a new thing to do, it's going to fucking rock. I can't wait.
-the Kinks-
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Lartrak wrote:
While the controls may not be as intuitive for a first person game as a dual look scheme might have been, one does get used to them.
Am I the only one that finds dual joystick controls for FPS games awkward? Especially with the craptacular C-stick.
same, thats why i prefer the xbox controller S for my FPS games cuz both sticks are the same and feel nice. my thumb keeps slipping off that nub of a C-stick on the GC controller
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

same, thats why i prefer the xbox controller S for my FPS games cuz both sticks are the same and feel nice. my thumb keeps slipping off that nub of a C-stick on the GC controller
hmmm... am i the only one who likes the GC control pad for FPS? i have pretty large hands and find that the GC is still comfortable. the way I have TS2 setup is perfect for me. i find no troubles what so ever with the C-stick :| :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Skynet wrote:
hmmm... am i the only one who likes the GC control pad for FPS? i have pretty large hands and find that the GC is still comfortable. the way I have TS2 setup is perfect for me. i find no troubles what so ever with the C-stick :| :?
it feels weird having one thumb on the big stick and one thumb on that weird c-stick. seriously, my thumb slips off of it quite easily. That little bit of rubber on it doesn't seem to be doing it's job for me. It would be better if it had those circles on it like the left stick does, give me more traction
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

heh, i see your point. its just something i've gotten used to i guess.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

The release schedule for the first 6 months of this year for the Cube is pretty awful from my POV. The Q3/Q4 schedule should be much better though with some of my most anticipated games (eg Pikmin 2) being released and maybe the bonus of a few surprises from E3 '04.

I don't think Nintendo is anywhere near "done" with the Cube though. It's doing really well in every territory except the UK where it seems to be hated. It is so bad that PSone software was outselling GC software before Christmas :? What is the world coming to!?
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

toastman wrote:
WillSams wrote:
Like buying games. I mean, come on, I just shelled out $100 bucks, the least you could do is supply me with the damn games for free.
That's it. These video game companies are evil. Forcing me to spend money to play games. Pah.
Again, another worthless post to attack what I say. Grow up.