Border Down + Ikaruga set worth it?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by zero »

Eckostyle wrote:
zero wrote:Ok, one thing that i noticed well reading this topic, (i didn't read it all but from what i read, and im kinda drunk atm).
is that if someone says they don't like border down, or Ikaruga people say stuff like, oh you must not be a shoot em up fan or whatever, but yet, most of them people are the same people who put down halo, so are ye not First person shoot em up fans?. and another thing, was MK let back in?, i think it was dumb the way he was banned for 4 weeks, just for saying "ill get the un offical version" or something like that anyway, i mean come on, that doesn't call for a ban, and kron, you wouldn't have banned him if he didn't stand up for himself, it was only after he said something to you you got him banned, so you need to relax man, and everyone else, Ikaruga is not that great of a game, yeah i had some fun well playing it, but i still didn't find it that great of a game, best shoot em up, hmmm no.
And why am i bringing up a topic thats been dead for 5 days or something like that....well that i do not know but hey lets party its halloween(is that spelled right?)
lol :lol: .
X525
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by X525 »

Eckostyle wrote:
zero wrote:Ok, one thing that i noticed well reading this topic, (i didn't read it all but from what i read, and im kinda drunk atm).
is that if someone says they don't like border down, or Ikaruga people say stuff like, oh you must not be a shoot em up fan or whatever, but yet, most of them people are the same people who put down halo, so are ye not First person shoot em up fans?. and another thing, was MK let back in?, i think it was dumb the way he was banned for 4 weeks, just for saying "ill get the un offical version" or something like that anyway, i mean come on, that doesn't call for a ban, and kron, you wouldn't have banned him if he didn't stand up for himself, it was only after he said something to you you got him banned, so you need to relax man, and everyone else, Ikaruga is not that great of a game, yeah i had some fun well playing it, but i still didn't find it that great of a game, best shoot em up, hmmm no.
And why am i bringing up a topic thats been dead for 5 days or something like that....well that i do not know but hey lets party its halloween(is that spelled right?)

topic should be closed...that sums up everything (including the pic) :lol: :lol: :lol:
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

Hey! Im a little drunk right now too :?
zero wrote:is that if someone says they don't like border down, or Ikaruga people say stuff like, oh you must not be a shoot em up fan or whatever, but yet, most of them people are the same people who put down halo, so are ye not First person shoot em up fans?.
Man, that makes sence! But I think there is some kind of emotional attachment to this new game for some reason? I think a lot of fans are thinking it could help to a Dreamcast re-birth, but alas, it isnt..
zero wrote:and another thing, was MK let back in?, i think it was dumb the way he was banned for 4 weeks, just for saying "ill get the un offical version"
Yeh man! Here I am :)
Much debate has been had to weather or not my ban was 'dumb' or not, as it stands, who knows! The important thing right now is, I am back :wink:
zero wrote:kron, you wouldn't have banned him if he didn't stand up for himself, it was only after he said something to you you got him banned,
Im sure hes a very nice guy once you get to know him, kinda reminds me of a mate of mine...
zero wrote:so you need to relax man,
well, they do say that power corrupts :?
Dont cross the mods - if you know what I mean :oops:

(and I dont mean like that movie Quadrophenia, those mods are different)
zero wrote:And why am i bringing up a topic thats been dead for 5 days or something like that....well that i do not know but hey lets party its halloween(is that spelled right?)

Who cares! did you just see how i tried to spell Quadraphenia?!

Hurrah!
Dust on the Dreamcast
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Man, that makes sence! But I think there is some kind of emotional attachment to this new game for some reason? I think a lot of fans are thinking it could help to a Dreamcast re-birth, but alas, it isnt..
i agree. i think people are overrating border down and ikaruga cuz they're DC games, and if we put those games down then they'll think we're putting the dc down as well. i've tried them both, and i don't think those 2 games are worth 30 bucks, let alone 99

<sarcasm> *gasp* a new dc release! 10/10!!!! </sarcasm>
jsm
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jsm »

i think people are overrating border down and ikaruga cuz they're DC games
Ikaruga is the best shootemup Ive ever played, period. congratulations DC & GC owners, its great playing it the way it was supposed to be played (chaining).

Border Down: not "ikaruga good" but IMO its still a good game, I enjoy it
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Lunchbox wrote:i agree. i think people are overrating border down and ikaruga cuz they're DC games, and if we put those games down then they'll think we're putting the dc down as well. i've tried them both, and i don't think those 2 games are worth 30 bucks, let alone 99

Yet again:

X525
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by X525 »

Lunchbox wrote:
i agree. i think people are overrating border down and ikaruga cuz they're DC games, and if we put those games down then they'll think we're putting the dc down as well. i've tried them both, and i don't think those 2 games are worth 30 bucks, let alone 99

i do think both games are a bit overrated, but i still think they are very good games...not only because they've come out on the DC, but the gameplay is classic...
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Eckostyle wrote:
Lunchbox wrote:i agree. i think people are overrating border down and ikaruga cuz they're DC games, and if we put those games down then they'll think we're putting the dc down as well. i've tried them both, and i don't think those 2 games are worth 30 bucks, let alone 99

Yet again:

heh, funny pic :lol:
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

*APE will continue to wait for each game to cost $10 before buying
$100 on a dead system? Better to spend $100 on a dead system called "Sega Saturn". Panzer Dragoon Saga will go much farther.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Hey, thanks for the tip... I was just thinking last night that, since finding an article on adjusting the DC's lasermajig (I really can't think at the moment), that maybe I could fix my old Saturn downstairs... I want to give it to my sister, since she bought NiGHTS many years ago (first game that she really liked, and played a lot, which of course I encouraged) but doesn't have a Saturn... I've since gotten a white one ("why? are the BLACK ones not good enough for you?") and so I wouldn't mind give/lending my original to her, but I wanted to give her something along to play with it, and I was actually thinking Panzer Dragoon-ish stuff.

See, I bought her a GC earlier this year, and she's all ape-shxt about how good RE0 looks, and all that. I'm like "it looks good because it's prerendered" and then I remember how everyone seems to get their parade rained on by me, unintentionally, so then I added "but... it still... looks really good, and... it's a good game" as a last-second save. :)

So I've gotta get something for her that gives her appealing gameplay in spades, otherwise, even though she's usually not shallow, she might complain about the graphical quality, or something. Egh. Anyway, I've got so much stuff to do this week, but now I really want to try to fix that Saturn...

[on-topic]
I wasn't going to mention anything about this, but, I've noticed a lot of "DC-hatin'" going on at a few forums... I understand that people like to debate and banter back and forth, and that everyone's of course fully entitled to that and being able to state their opinion, but... isn't it a waste of time, sorta? I mean, you've got the DC "hardcore" freaks, the "move on, it's dead" freaks, and then the freaks like me that think it's all kinda freakish. Apologies for the liberal use of the word "freak," I had it in my head. Nontheless, that's one of my two cents on the subject, here's the other:

In defense of the DC-wuvvers, I think that they just see any new game as one last good thing for a favorite system of theirs. I speak as being of this mindset, myself. As I recall someone stating (apologies, I forget the handle at the moment), it doesn't matter how much a system is discontinued, it'll always be like a memory in the heart, alive as much as its rememberer (is that a word?) wishes to believe. I myself will be sad when I find out that all of the GD-ROMs have been used up, but, hopefully we'll get some nice titles out of those before the time comes.

As for the movin' and groovin' side of me, I've got to say that change is usually good. I look forward to the PS3 (love that logo) and only hope that Nintendo doesn't go anywhere (as in "out of the business"). Also on this side of "cut it the freak out," I have to say that any talk about the "rebirth" of the DC is ludicrous. People can wish all they want, but I do believe that they quite delusional and can understand it when certain people simply want to quiet them up, as much as I don't like to say it. I can understand about how incessant posts could drive one up the wall, and so I'm glad that there is balance, to keep either side from tipping the scale. :D

I think that I just double-cancelled my own thoughts. Ah... I don't like bias, in this instance. People who say that any new game for the DC is the best thing since sliced bread can give me everything that they've had since sliced bread since they won't be needing it, because of course, they have sliced bread and the new DC game. Anyone that rains on DC harshly can give me their umbrella so that they get a little wet in return when all the frenzied DC thinkers rain upon them with hundreds of screenshots of Border Down or Psyvariar 2.

Speaking of which; Psyvariar 2 really didn't look to impressive to me at first glance, but, I'll still buy it. I didn't think that Jet Grind Radio looked impressive, but you have no idea of how happy I was to buy it last year and play it this summer. Kinda weird, but I'm in love with Mew. I was also surprised to see Gum's display of cleavage in JSRF, but I have yet to play that one.

[fully back on-topic]
I'm pretty sure that no one's wondering anymore, but, I say that if one would purchase Border Down and Ikaruga separately but finds that they do not have enough funds for both, then the set would be a fair deal. I myself had the decision made for me, since I wanted to get the soundtrack in the LE version...

This is, like, the most popular thread ever. I now return you to your regularly-scheduled debate. :wink:
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

aisupikku wrote:As I recall someone stating (apologies, I forget the handle at the moment), it doesn't matter how much a system is discontinued, it'll always be like a memory in the heart, alive as much as its rememberer (is that a word?) wishes to believe.
Like the BetaMax :wink: :P

*ducks head and prepares for a reprimand for trolling*
X525
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by X525 »

aisupikku wrote: [fully back on-topic]
I'm pretty sure that no one's wondering anymore, but, I say that if one would purchase Border Down and Ikaruga separately but finds that they do not have enough funds for both, then the set would be a fair deal. I myself had the decision made for me, since I wanted to get the soundtrack in the LE version...

This is, like, the most popular thread ever. I now return you to your regularly-scheduled debate. :wink:

i thought about the LE with OST, but i never heard the music before. how did i know it was gonna be any good? :D
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

Ender wrote:Like the BetaMax :wink: :P

*ducks head and prepares for a reprimand for trolling*
Ha ha... You know; I didn't even know what BetaMax was until some of my older sister's roomates referenced it in a discussion a few years ago (I think it was about Mini Discs). I asked the seemingly simple question "what's 'beta'?" and my sister's roommate and her then-boyfriend look at each other and are like "oooooo... " and I felt really, really young. :| :wink:
X525 wrote:i thought about the LE with OST, but i never heard the music before. how did i know it was gonna be any good? :D
Well; You checked out the sample movies, right? I saw some on the Lik Sang product page, and you can hear the tunes in the background (which was the only focus for me, since the stream was perpetually cloudy and basically I couldn't see much of the gameplay at all)...

Plus, on the website, they had a quick mix of some of the tracks on the ST. It might still be there... Ah, here it is! I'm not sure if it's the same as the DC soundtrack (haven't opened the game yet, have to take a picture first ::ducks head and prepares for cries of "nerd!":: :wink: ) but I'm guessing that it is. It looks as though one could buy it separately, so, you might still be in luck... if you like the music. Check it out:

http://www.grev.co.jp/border_down/boder_demo.mp3

Also, its associated page:

http://www.grev.co.jp/border_down/info01.html

You can see there that the actual soundtrack is being sold by a place called SweepRecord, and you can see their product page here, which has an additional MP3 sample (I think; I haven't listened to it):

http://sweeprecord.com/lineup/new2003b.html

So you should be set! I can't wait to get an NTSC-J DC, or an NTSC-U/C and mod it so that I can play the game... I don't want to do anything to "my baby," of course. :D
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DISCLAIMER:: I DO NOT ADVOCATE THE PIRACY OF COMMERCIAL GAMES OR ANY FORM OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT

::Would have been more on topic in october::
is it wrong that do not own most of my games? for Dreamcast, PC, PSX?

My only defense is that I would not have bought the games otherwise. When I had only my Genesis and games were of course around 50$ a piece, after around 6 years of ownership (and i had since then gotten a nomad and accessories) I only had 10 games. I really only see it in a bad way if I were downloading pirated copies in place of buying the originals. When I see a game that I can afford that I know is good (only because of playing the pirated copy) then I buy it. I bought my DC retail when it was already not being manufactured because I knew I would be able to still download games when they were no longer available in stores. Since then I have bought a lot of accessories but still only own around 10 games.

I find myself justified, but I wanted to see what others thought. I find it even more justified by the fact that what I do did not contribute to the DCs US commercial death. So, I am open to the flames and will accept them fully if what I have done is really morally reprehensible.

The Dream Lives On.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

hell, i have only been able to recently afford to buy DC games coz theyre so expensive. AU$20 a pop is a lot better than $100.

the internet has got me in a moral dillema. do i download the game? or do i buy it? costs nearly $100 to buy, or can download for free. i know its illegal, and i know its wrong and i dont condone it, but it makes things difficult on those that cant afford things.

i have 9 GC games and only 4 of them are brand new (at time of purchase).
MK: DD - $88
SSX 3 - $50
True Crime - $67
WMX8 - $20

only 2 of my games cost more than AU$50. i have to buy 2nd hand because i simply cant afford anything else. hence the reason for having to wait so long for buying DC games. but i hate buying 2nd hand coz the games are screwed in some way or another.

when i got my GC it was 2nd hand also! with a 2nd hand game. and right away i noticed problems with the audio and the game resetting. but that only happened in the game i got at that time (burnout).

i did however buy the DC brand new. $300 it cost. but i dont mind. it was a great buy! but games have always been too expensive!

i paid $110 for Mortal Kombat on the genesis :o :lol: :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

i got my first DC for christmas two christmases ago, brand new, out of box, dosnt read half my games. =( i ended up returning it and staying two weeks playing games on my vmu until i found a store with a used one for sale. now i have my cool black one and am happy, but 50$ was a lot for me to spend to just get a gaming system. by the next christmas i had sunk back into the gaming scene. the most i have ever paid for a game was 27$ for a used copy of Chrono Trigger, and the only reason i got it was because i had already played a rom of it and knew it was an amazing game. since then, i have spent about 200$ on video games but none ever exceeded 15$ and total at around 10 genesis games, 5 NES games, 10 SNES games, and a bunch of DC accessories.

The Dream Lives On.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

ahh what ya on about ikaruga is worth like $150 at least, its the best dc game going
Are you serious? You can buy a brand new Gamecube with the Zelda collection disc and a new copy of Ikaruga for only $140. If somebody wants the DC version I have it in VERY good condition. I don't need it cause I'm gonna pick up the cube version. I bought it brand new and played it about 10 or 15 times only.
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ack, getting cube version should not mean trashing DC version! DC is great... :cry:

The Dream Lives On.
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

I'm not mocking the DC version by any means. The cube version is no better. It's just cheaper and completely in english.
Insane DCEmu

Post by Spector »

Do you really need the text in Ikaruga to be in English to play it, or can you guess most of it easily, like Border Down?
I'm going to jail for homicide.
Wish me luck.