I no longer merely want an XBox

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I no longer merely want an XBox

Post by Roofus »

I now NEED one, as I have just beaten Shenmue. I beat it on New Year's Eve, 1986 Shenmue Standard Time. :D
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Importing can cure that itch :D
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

You NEED one. Stop all current and impending activity, and go get one already! :D

Shenmue II for Xbox has a lot of improvements over the DC version. I really didn't think the Japanese dialog was that hot. All female voices sound the same, and all male characters have that "Banzai" "drunken master" voice.

Besides, having just played Shenmue I, you'll feel a lot more comfortable with the English voices.

There are also a lot of graphical improvements, like real time-lighting, pixel shading, and an incredibly cool "blur" effect in nighttime scenes. It has a way more stable frame rate, and less draw-in.

And you get nice extras, like the Shenmue movie DVD, and a cool mini-game where you have to take snapshots throughout the game to unlock cool comics and secrets.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
xenon219
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by xenon219 »

Is it worth buying a XBOX for just Shenmue and Jet set Future? Cause those are the only games I want. The other games like KOTOR, I can get on my PC and it will look a lot better.

If only I could get Shenmue II on my DC wink wink
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Shenmue II is apparently better on the DC because it doesn't have horrible English voice-acting, but rather the original Japanese with English subtitles. And Jes Set Radio Future gets a bit dull compared to the original.

Maybe if you got a cheap second-hand one and exploited it for homebrew it would be worth it, but I wouldn't say it's worth getting the console just for those two games.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I got the import. i found it at my local gamestop for 40 bucks. Good deal. Depends on what you want to do. If ur looking into getting a new system, or just shenmue II. Ive played both of em. One atvantage of getting the import is that you can convert your save file, so you can continue ur game.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

xenon219 wrote:Is it worth buying a XBOX for just Shenmue and Jet set Future? Cause those are the only games I want. The other games like KOTOR, I can get on my PC and it will look a lot better.

If only I could get Shenmue II on my DC wink wink
I didnt REALLY get into JSRF until I got Combo, and realized how f**king cool the next stages music was.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I bought my Xbox for JSRF. It was worth it.
It's thinking...
gamedudex
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gamedudex »

ya, shenmue 2 on xbox is far beter than it is on dc.. i love my dc, but much rather shenmue 2on xbox..

the visuals are improved some.. the game supports hd tv

its in english.. i don't wanna read a game to understand.. that is boring.. if i wanna read i will get a book..

the game is smoother, none of the slow down of the dc game.

and u can get for less than $20
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

its in english.. i don't wanna read a game to understand.. that is boring.. if i wanna read i will get a book..
now thats just ignorant.

I actully like it more than the poor voice acting. Makes the character come more alive hearing JP voices and reading the text. either way, its the same great game.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I need to sell my Xbox, I just never play it. PRoblem is the fact it would cost $55 or more to mail it with the games, etc.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

Veggita - Check your PMs. :wink:
Ikku
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Ikku »

gamedudex wrote: its in english.. i don't wanna read a game to understand.. that is boring.. if i wanna read i will get a book..
Battle Royale is like, the best movie ever, and you won't watch it because it's in Japanese with English subtitles? And if they dubbed it horribly, you'd prefer that? Some people lack common sense.

And what about the older games that didn't have voice capabilities? What about the oldest games that had no graphics? Those games were excellent, but according to you, it'd be more fun to read a book.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Ikku wrote:
gamedudex wrote: its in english.. i don't wanna read a game to understand.. that is boring.. if i wanna read i will get a book..
Battle Royale is like, the best movie ever, and you won't watch it because it's in Japanese with English subtitles? And if they dubbed it horribly, you'd prefer that? Some people lack common sense.

And what about the older games that didn't have voice capabilities? What about the oldest games that had no graphics? Those games were excellent, but according to you, it'd be more fun to read a book.
People are allowed to like and dislike whatever they please. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you have the right to insult people. Many people prefer entertainment that doesn't require large amount of effort.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

There's a big difference between a film, with real actors, and the dialogue in a videogame.

As it is, Shenmue II's Japanese dialogue is decent, at best, but in no way spectacular. So is the English version.

I know people must feel pretty cool listening to the Japanese voices, thinking they're "leet" or "in the know" or something like that, but the English dialogue also does the job.

C'mon! Just remember Delin's grunts when you're working with him moving crates. It sounds like he's pleasuring himself... :P
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

the english voice acting in shenmue is terrible.
If youre a total shenmue fanboy like me, who owns about 5 copies of each game (no, really, i do) you say its quirky instead.
but I much prefer the japanese voices.

The english actors are clearly told to pronounce every. word. as. if. it. is. it's. own. sentence.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

scykon wrote: The english actors are clearly told to pronounce every. word. as. if. it. is. it's. own. sentence.
Possibly because what they're saying takes longer to say in Japanese? Most games with voiceovers (and indeed dubbed cartoons / films) always pretty much have to from what I've noticed.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

az_bont wrote:Shenmue II is apparently better on the DC because it doesn't have horrible English voice-acting, but rather the original Japanese with English subtitles. And Jes Set Radio Future gets a bit dull compared to the original.
Audio whores suck. Where are all the purists, like me, that don't care about the bad voice-overs and just worry about gameplay? Am I the only one? Or are there more, but they just hate on the Xbox, so any small problem with any ported game automatically makes the game terrible and an abomination to the original, even though everything else about the game is far better?
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

i didn't buy shenmue 2 on dc cos of it not having the english dubs, thats why i got the xbox version, as im sure many people wouldn't be complaining about the voice acting if the dc got the dubbed version.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

I think japanese fits better in a martial arts setting than english does.

But I would have bought the DC version even if it the DC version would have been in english and the xbox version in japanese. ;)