Which is the best pop-up blocker for IE?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lunchbox »

i've had no problems with firebird so far, but i've only used it for a few hours :roll:
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

BlackAura wrote:In IE, that's actually a severe security vulnerability. It ignores the MIME type on documents, and tries to work out what they are by itself, which can cause pretty bad problems. I'd rather have the odd page (I've seen one, ever) show up as text than have that kind of problem.
I actually see it all the time, and while I applaud their efforts for security, there do exist middle-ground solutions. Other options exist in terms of offering users the control when dealing with those types of files. Whenever the Firebird team comes across a problem that's caused by IE screws-ups, their immediate response is that the webmasters should fix the page. Opera on the other hand finds solutions for their users. Maintain the original integrity while allowing the user to transition seamlessly.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest... Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Wasgo wrote:causing things like some files to register as text.
Hooray for right click/save link as

honestly I don't want my audio/video opening up in my browser.
It's thinking...
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

i've also noticed that firebird is a little faster, or is it just me?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Lunchbox wrote:i've also noticed that firebird is a little faster, or is it just me?
I don't know, maybe you are a little faster :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Lunchbox wrote:i've also noticed that firebird is a little faster, or is it just me?
That's the point of Firebird :P
It's thinking...
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

az_bont wrote:
I don't know, maybe you are a little faster :).
yes, i have been optimizing myself lately :wink:
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

Google Toolbar is good.The Ultimate Popup Killer does the same thing but makes a shotgun sfx every time it blocks something which is a plus
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

I like firebird because it does seem faster. To me it seems faster than the 1.4 build of mozilla I was using.. Plus, firebird blocks unwanted pop-ups, but not ones you click to open. In mozilla, you have a option to allow pop-ups on "allowed" websites. One other thing aobut firebird vs. mozilla 1.4, is that it seems to handle flash in several tabs a lot better. But the new ver of mozilla I just read has built in spell-checking for its email client.. decisions, decisions. ...firebird... or mozilla.... oh well, as long is its not IE. 8-) I'm trying to get a friend to switch to firebird..
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I hid IE on my parent's computer (which they got me to set up anyway), and replaced it with Firebird. The only problem they had was that one of them went to a site that had Flash content, and didn't know how to install Flash. It was far more difficult to install the Flash plugin on Windows that it was on my Linux box (thanks to Gentoo's portage system). Other than that, and one site which insisted on IE, despite the fact that it works perfectly on Mozilla and Firebird if you change the user agent string, no problems anywhere

Now I just need to get them to stop using Outlook Express (and get my Dad to stop using Outlook on his laptop), and that'll be the main two problem programs out of the way. My younger brother is really stubborn, and refuses to use anything other than IE, Hotmail and MSN. My youngest brother doesn't care, and only uses IE because it's there.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

How is Flash hard to set up on windows?

You need flash.
would you like to install flash?
yes
downloads
open install program
installs
done

Much better than...
<nothing at all>
"Oh I need flash"
emerge flash
10 days later*...done

*extreme exaggeration
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Windows (Firebird, not IE - Firebird does not have the auto-install thing, mostly because it's an unacceptable security risk, and it's IE-specific)

You need flash.
Here is where you can download flash.
Go to page.
Go to downloads page.
Download file (about 1.5MB, I think)
Run file
Accept EULA
Tell it where to find Firebird
Click OK an indefinite number of times

Linux (Gentoo)
Message box comes up - "You need flash"
Type "emerge netscape-flash"
Downloads it automatically (700K)
Compiles and installs it automatically (about a minute)

Which is easier? It took about ten minutes to install the Windows version, and five to install the Linux version. The Linux version required me to do one thing. The windows version required constant interaction.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BlackAura wrote:Windows (Firebird, not IE - Firebird does not have the auto-install thing, mostly because it's an unacceptable security risk, and it's IE-specific)

You need flash.
Here is where you can download flash.
Go to page.
Go to downloads page.
Download file (about 1.5MB, I think)
Run file
Accept EULA
Tell it where to find Firebird
Click OK an indefinite number of times

Linux (Gentoo)
Message box comes up - "You need flash"
Type "emerge netscape-flash"
Downloads it automatically (700K)
Compiles and installs it automatically (about a minute)

Which is easier? It took about ten minutes to install the Windows version, and five to install the Linux version. The Linux version required me to do one thing. The windows version required constant interaction.
Yes well. I was referring to IE.
But anyway...
The fact gentoo takes like an hour to "emerge" mozilla makes the whole flash installation process irrelevant. Seeing as I can download and install the same browser on windows within 5 minutes, giving me a 55 minute headstart on sorting out flash :P
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

Best way to block pop-ups in IE is to uninstall it! lol

ok seriously,, use Opera or Firebird/Mozilla and you realize how surfing the web can be fun (which it isn't with IE)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The fact gentoo takes like an hour to "emerge" mozilla makes the whole flash installation process irrelevant.
You don't need to emerge it from source

Code: Select all

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge mozilla-firebird-bin
Or, if you have a binary package, as I did, just do this:

emerge -k mozilla
or

emerge -k mozilla-firebird
Anyway, that's just Gentoo, which is a bit of an oddball. Debian should be faster...

apt-get install mozilla-firebird
apt-get install mozilla
apt-get install -t unstable flashplugin-nonfree
Again - one command each. It downloads and installs it automatically, including all programs and libraries it needs. What could be simpler.

On systems that use RPMs, it's a mess, and considerably worse than Windows. On systems with decent package management, it's so much easier.
How? Newer versions of Windows (anything past the original release of Win95) won't let you, and 98lite doesn't work on Windows 2000 or XP. The closest I've come is removing all mention of it from the menus and desktop, and setting Mozilla Firebird as the default browser. Ah, stuff it - close enough. They've not found it yet...
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

BlackAura wrote: The closest I've come is removing all mention of it from the menus and desktop, and setting Mozilla Firebird as the default browser. Ah, stuff it - close enough. They've not found it yet...
The closest I've come to removing it is similar to your method, but intentionally breaking the IE proxy settings ( which seem to have a knock-on effect with Outlook Express -- bonus!! ) so should IE be found, it won't actually work. :wink:
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

EMS Freesurfer Mark II

Popup control is similiar to mozilla, plus you can DISABLE FLASH.(Gamespot ads GONE!)
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Go with MyIE2 (althought I still love Mozilla):
http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm
Smirre
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Smirre »

BlackAura wrote:How? Newer versions of Windows (anything past the original release of Win95) won't let you, and 98lite doesn't work on Windows 2000 or XP. The closest I've come is removing all mention of it from the menus and desktop, and setting Mozilla Firebird as the default browser.
You are right, removing IE is not really a good option.. stupid integration..

what is even worse is that even if you never use IE you must install every security update :roll:
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Smirre wrote:
BlackAura wrote:How? Newer versions of Windows (anything past the original release of Win95) won't let you, and 98lite doesn't work on Windows 2000 or XP. The closest I've come is removing all mention of it from the menus and desktop, and setting Mozilla Firebird as the default browser.
You are right, removing IE is not really a good option.. stupid integration..

what is even worse is that even if you never use IE you must install every security update :roll:
What is even worse is some updates require IE. I couldn't use Sisoft Sandra since it depended on MS MDAC, which depended on MSIE v5.0+ or something. :?