Music .. composition?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Music .. composition?

Post by MrSiggler »

I've always wanted to attempt making music.. I have me tunes in me head, but have no knowledge in how to get them into any non in me head form :(

But I have no idea where to start! Perhaps some of the more.. musically able persons here might point me in the correct direction? Such as software.. websites.. all that fun stuff.

Feed me with knowledge. I crave.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Go to your local library, and check out all of the books you can on "Music Theory". Read them, and learn what each note means, and where it falls on the scale (some of the beginners books even include tapes, to help improve your listening abilities). Then, find a good MIDI program, and begin playing around with it. MIDI usually makes your songs sound like crap, but it's an easy way to get your songs into musical format. It's a whole lot more convenient than having an orchestra on retainer. Some of the more "user-friendly" MIDI programs will allow you to play your songs in a keyboard format, in case you have trouble understanding how to acutally write the notes, and what the time signatures are for, etc.

Just be forewarned: music is something that comes very easily to some, and is very difficult for others. I have always had a great love and respect for music, and I studied it for years. I was top of my class in music theory, but when it came to putting my ideas into practice, I flopped. It can be very frustrating, and time-consuming, but it can also be a lot of fun, and very rewarding.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

http://www.harmony-central.com is one of the best music resources on the internet. It's a great place to get started :)
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

MTV Music Generator for PS1 was kinda fun :wink:
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D »

Fruity Loops is pretty cool - http://www.fruityloops.com (I think) this is the program I use to sequence my tunes with.

Then get some VSTi or DXi software synths... One's that I've found to be good are:

Native Instruments Pro-53
Native Instruments FM7
Novation V-Station
RGC:Audio Z3Ta+

Oh and search the web for any samples that you may require...

Btw. none of the above is freeware, although there are demo's of each available at their respective websites :)
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I recommend Fruity Loops.

MTV Music Generator was very cool :)
It's thinking...
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Don't use any of these DJ programs. Get an instrument. Preferrably a guitar or keyboard. I'd lean more towards a good keyboard since you would have the whole bass range as well. Learn how to play. Learn about music theory. Learn pitch. Learn how to discern how far away a note is from another by sound. The transpose what's in your head to the keyboard and write it down.
Sometimes I come up with neat little riffs in my head, but I cannot for the life of me instantly tell a note from it's sound or how different a note is from another. I only know that they are different. Everything past music theory is either going to be a real bitch or real easy, depending on your natural ability at it.
Actually yeah, a good MIDI enabled keyboard would be your best ticket.
No signature.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

toastman wrote:Don't use any of these DJ programs. Get an instrument. Preferrably a guitar or keyboard. I'd lean more towards a good keyboard since you would have the whole bass range as well. Learn how to play. Learn about music theory. Learn pitch. Learn how to discern how far away a note is from another by sound. The transpose what's in your head to the keyboard and write it down.
Sometimes I come up with neat little riffs in my head, but I cannot for the life of me instantly tell a note from it's sound or how different a note is from another. I only know that they are different. Everything past music theory is either going to be a real bitch or real easy, depending on your natural ability at it.
Actually yeah, a good MIDI enabled keyboard would be your best ticket.
I agree 100% with Toastman. If you have songs in your head, you would be much better off following his suggestion and my original suggestion. If you have collections of existing music in your head that you want to put together, then go with the other suggestions.

If you have a genuine SoundBlaster card, I think it comes with a cheesy little MIDI program. That would not be a bad start. It would give you basically the same options as a keyboard, but you would not be able to carry it with you.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.