For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DreamservVMU »

how can i get in touch with fatheadpi?

his hotmail is returning my emails....
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

is there a way to edit the webrowser so they connect at 56k speeds?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

DreamservVMU wrote:how can i get in touch with fatheadpi?

his hotmail is returning my emails....
He's on a different address at the moment, and he's keen to keep it private. What do you want to say to him?

And as for editing the browsers to allow 56K speeds, it's a theoretical possibility, depending on what Kevin and the other browsers authors do.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I want 56 k speeds so bad! :)
33.6k is too slow...
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

psd

Post by hrb2k3 »

i assume that emulators boot in the ginsu.ini of pw, but not show any files. now i have been going throught all of the browsers i have on odcm demo discs looking at each ones ginsu.ini, and i noticed something that might help with loading emulators/apps that require files.

in the odcm demo that contains pw v2.0, i looked in the ginsu.ini. i then noticed the srtings for Swirl. which had other strings that i've never seen before. here's what it looks like,

[swirl]
Ginsu.Path =swirl
Ginsu.Command =\swirl\sample.bin
Ginsu.FirstGDDA =3
Manifest.Name = "SEGA SWIRL"
Manifest.Select.WellImage =SWIRLLOGO.PVR"
Manifest.Select.Animtarget07 =60
Manifest.play.Path =swirl
Manifest.Play.Command =\swirl\sample.bin
Manifest.Play.FirstGDDA =3
Manifest.Play.ScreenImage =csswirl.PVR

now, the most interesting strings are the manifest.play.path and command. i then looked for the swirl folder using file://SWIRL , but an error occured to the gd-rom meaning that folder did not exist in the cd root. i looked for the swirl folder everywhere, but could not find it, which means that the swirl folder is located somewhere else on the disc, outside the pwbrowser folder. i did the x-avefront command to load swirl an it loaded as usual.

so there has to be a manifest.bin located in the cd root. if one doesn't exist for pw browsers then we're screwed. if one does, then we could use something like this to load nesterdc,

[nesterdc]
Ginsu.Path =nesterdc
Ginsu.Command =\nesterdc\1st_read.bin
Manifest.Play.Path =nesterdc
Manifest.Play.Command =\nesterdc\1st_read.bin

but we might need a manifest.bin file to get it to load.

any thoughts?
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Hrb, that is darn interesting.
Darn, darn interesting.

To everyone else, I feel I owe an explanation for why I've been absent lately, and haven't yet gotten the files to Az.
Where do I start? I've been meeting a lot with my attorney concerning a big financial and legal matter. I've been working on buying and remodeling a new house to live in. I've been working on getting rid of an investment property in Ft. Worth. I've been trying to get things together to get back into school this fall and finish my degree (after taking a year off). I've been getting ready for the state board exam to finish my R.E. liscense. I've been looking into taking over a buisness and getting the the $1 mill. financing to do so. I've also been working 2 jobs as well.
I hope this explains why I haven't had time to spend on my computer. Today was the first time I've checked my email in over a week. I'm still in the middle of all these things, so free time will still be very scarce for the next little bit. I am hoping to make some time soon though. I appreciate everyone's patience, and ask that you all hang with me for a little while longer.

On a better note... I went to the Austin Gaming Expo July 26th. All I can say is WOW. It was much better than I expected. There were over 2300 people in attendance. It was VERY crowded. I was able to demo my browser compilation toward the end of the day, and people seemed to really like it. It was a long and tiring day, but it was a lot of fun, and well worth it. You can check out the website at
http://www.austingamingexpo.com
While there, I had the pleasure of meeting the guys from Cryptic Allusions, and I was VERY impressed. They are excellent people, and if anyone has not yet purchased their new game "Feet of Fury", you owe it to yourself and them, to do so. Even if you don't normally care for dancing games, everyone who still plays our beloved DC should pick up this game to support these great people and encourage them to keep the games coming.

That's about all I have to say for now.

Take care,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

bin

Post by hrb2k3 »

hey, i just burned xdpv7 with a few apps in the launcher in the dp3.ini, but none of my apps work. they were scrambled and binhacked to xdp's ip.bin. used the x-avefront command, but it didn't load. are the bins suppose to be scrambled or unscrambled?
Excalibur007
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Excalibur007 »

Well, the apps should be Unscrambled. I've had problems getting a lot of stuff to work with DP though. It seems to be a LOT more finicky than using ginsu in PW. I've tried a lot of apps with both and PW will launch a lot of things when DP won't.
If I were u I'd just stick with launching things from PW. That's my 2 cents. ;)

Later,
-Ex
Tis my sig.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

still nothing new to betatest for us testers ? =) and can i bring sdp / PD along to the games convention ? maybe freeze wants to do a presentation / wants to try it
ImageImage
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

pw

Post by hrb2k3 »

is it possible to use a selfboot program like "selfboot" to make a selfboot nero image of pw or xdp3v7? i remember reading somewhere that i have to binhack the bins to another lba.?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: pw

Post by az_bont »

hrb2k3 wrote:is it possible to use a selfboot program like "selfboot" to make a selfboot nero image of pw or xdp3v7? i remember reading somewhere that i have to binhack the bins to another lba.?
You could use Selfboot, but only the CDRecord (Echelon) method would work, as this is based on a Katana app.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

psd

Post by hrb2k3 »

ok, got it.

now, can someone who has burned psd 1.0 to a cd, please upload the plain files somewhere so i can get a hold of it. i know the data can't be that large. isobuster is being a b**ch. it can't read the files of the data track of the cdi image, thus i can't get the plain files. i really want to see what this browser is all about.
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

az_bont wrote: You could use Selfboot, but only the CDRecord (Echelon) method would work, as this is based on a Katana app.
You can also use bin2boot metod only need hack bin files with lba=0
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

pw

Post by hrb2k3 »

ok, so selfboot uses bin2boot, right? and all it binhacks is the 1st_read.bin? so i manually have to binhack the other .bins to lba = 0???

now on to another question. i'm using pw 2.6 to test and launch apps using ginsu.ini. i made links on a html page. i clicked one of the links to launch xdp3v7. it seemed like it was loading, but the screen just stayed black. i need some help and info and how to do this. heres what i did.

i used echelon's selfboot method. in the 'data' folder are the following files,

data/PWBROWSER
data/1ST_READ.BIN
data/GINSU.INI
data/GINXFER.BIN
data/IP.BIN

***i had to make an ip.bin**

i put the xdp3v7 files in a folder called 'xdp', like so,

data/PWBROWSER/xdp

now, was i supposed to put the 'xdp' folder in the root of the 'data' folder or in the 'PWBROWSER' folder?

anyway, i binhacked every *.bin file including the ones in the 'xdp' folder using the ip.bin i made using the correct lba 11702.

i then edited the ginsu.ini file and put,

[xdp]
Ginsu.Path = \xdp
Ginsu.Command = \xdp\1ST_READ.BIN
Ginsu.FirstGDDA = 2

i changed the FirstGDDA to 2 for some reason??? the original was 5. maybe that's where i went wrong. or maybe the ginsu.Path. should i have put,

Ginsu.Path = \PWBROWSER\xdp
Ginsu.Command = \PWBROWSER\xdp\1ST_READ.BIN

then i edited the DRMCST.html page with a link like so,

x-avefront://---.dream/exec/xdp

i went ahead and burnt the cd, popped it into my dc. it loaded up fine. i got to the page with the link i made, clicked the link. after a few seconds the screen went black and just stayed black.????

i know i must've messed up somewhere. someone help me out.
BrianRus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BrianRus »

hrb2k3 wrote:ok, so selfboot uses bin2boot, right? and all it binhacks is the 1st_read.bin? so i manually have to binhack the other .bins to lba = 0???
yes you need binhack 1st_read.bin and also hack3 for maigo.bin and SG_DPLDR.BIN you can read here
data/PWBROWSER/xdp
this wrong i think need use this data/xdp

[xdp]
Ginsu.Path = \xdp
Ginsu.Command = \xdp\1ST_READ.BIN
Ginsu.FirstGDDA = 4
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

ok, i get it now. i'll try it whenever i get the chance.

so all i have to do is move the xdp folder out of the PWBROWSER folder and into the root.
DC FoReVeR.!!!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I think we before this release we should add the abilty to connect at 56k speeds this is essential to make this product work to it's full potential. Please can some do this or contact someone that can do this. This is a amazing project the way it is and i don't want to see it DIE before it is completed.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

You cant improve it there is no source code. for any one using this browser to play midi music you no longer need to. I wrote a midi player for dreamcast. how can you make core changes to a compiled katana bin?
Dreamcast forever!!!
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

You wrote a stand-alone MIDI player for Dreamcast?
How does it sound? Is the sound quality likew the Dream Passport one?
What MIDI engine does it use? Does it play files of more than 100kB in size?
Does it accurately reproduce the complete General MIDI set?
Where did you get the sound samples from?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It's based on SDL-Mixer, which uses TiMidity internally to play MIDI files. I think he's using the patch set from the SDL home page.