I just bought a Dreamcast today..and I have a few questions.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Todd 51
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I just bought a Dreamcast today..and I have a few questions.

Post by Todd 51 »

Ok, I'm a total n00b at this emu stuff. What I need is someoen to explain to me how to burn it using Easy CD Creator..and how my DC won't get hurt playing the CD-Rs. I've been reading posts sayin not to play with teh commercial gams.....well I don't knwo what those are, so a lot of explaining would really help, and I figured this would be the best way to try. Thanks a bunch guys!
bizzle

Re: I just bought a Dreamcast today..and I have a few questions.

Post by bizzle »

Todd 51 wrote:Ok, I'm a total n00b at this emu stuff. What I need is someoen to explain to me how to burn it using Easy CD Creator..and how my DC won't get hurt playing the CD-Rs. I've been reading posts sayin not to play with teh commercial gams.....well I don't knwo what those are, so a lot of explaining would really help, and I figured this would be the best way to try. Thanks a bunch guys!
Just don't try to boot warez.

BTW, get Nero or Alchohal 120% to burn apps.
Todd 51
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Todd 51 »

Ok, I have Nero on my other computer...but I'm gonna need someone to explain it to me.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Todd 51 wrote:Ok, I have Nero on my other computer...but I'm gonna need someone to explain it to me.
Check out the burning tutorials section of the forums for help burning, and check out the forums over at http://www.sbiffy.com for help with Self Boot Inducer.
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

Its not too hard really. But, I did make a couple of coasters before I got it right though. Once you get it, you got it. DCEmulation is where I got most of my info. It's the best in my opinion. I also got some info and other tools from megagames.com.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

I just want to add, you're a real lucky guy. Discovering Dreamcast is a beautiful thing more people should experience. :mrgreen:

And do persevere, I had no experience of burning disks when I arrived, but I soon got the hang of it. It's worth a couple of failed experiments to get the hang of burning the huge range of emulators and homebrew software. You've got years of the stuff to enjoy.

A good idea is to use Self Boot Inducer or ready made images. Trying to set things up all by yourself can be very frustrating. There are many more skilled users who've made things easier for us.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:I just want to add, you're a real lucky guy. Discovering Dreamcast is a beautiful thing more people should experience. :mrgreen:
Yes, I agree. Welcome to the world of DC Emu!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I agree with everything that has been said so far. I had no experience whatsoever when I began. I bought a Dreamcast when they first came out (reserved it months ahead of time). I played the games that I had bought for a long time. Then, I discovered the wonderful world of emulation and homebrew. It opened so many new doors for me. Since then, I don't think I have spent more than a few hours playing the games that were actually made for the DC. I have been so impressed with many of the homebrew games.

Anyways, back on topic: You can use Nero to burn NRG images. You can use DiscJuggler to burn CDI images. You can use Selfboot or Selfboot Inducer to create NRG and CDI images. Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer also utilize a built-in burning program called CDRecord, which allows you to burn a perfect CD almost every time (as long as you follow the instructions). I would suggest, if you are new at this, to visit http://www.consolevision.com/members/sbiffy for all of the files you will ever need. In addition, there is a great forum for help with those specific files there.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

curt_grymala wrote:I agree with everything that has been said so far. I had no experience whatsoever when I began. I bought a Dreamcast when they first came out (reserved it months ahead of time). I played the games that I had bought for a long time. Then, I discovered the wonderful world of emulation and homebrew. It opened so many new doors for me. Since then, I don't think I have spent more than a few hours playing the games that were actually made for the DC. I have been so impressed with many of the homebrew games.
I dont own a single DC game anymore (no illegal copies either guys). All the games I play on it are homebrew and emu. I would like to get my hands on Skies of Arcadia though.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

There are many great dc games dont limt your self to hombrew only the dreamcast still can and does have better games then any other system if just the nice boot up screen and no hassle unlike some of the other machines the ps2 boot up screen really annoys me other then that its a great system.

Its even better when you do programing for the dreamcast your self any one can thats the best part of it.
Dreamcast forever!!!