NesterDC - unplayable on PAL DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dante
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NesterDC - unplayable on PAL DC?

Post by Dante »

Now don't get this wrong: I realize there have been dozens of people before me who couldn't figure out how to run NesterDC on their Dreamcast, probably due to burning mistakes or what else. And if nothing else, I do happen to known a thing or two about emulators. But after having burned over twenty copies of NesterDC ( various versions included) either by Dir2Boot, Selfboot Buddy or manually, NesterDC still doesn't work for me.

I find this very strange, seeing as I'm doing everything correct so far. I place everything in the correct folders, with the ROMs in the games folder and one of the personal menu BMPs in the Pics folder. Then I run Dir2boot which basically does all the steps I would've had to do manually were it not for the fact that this works faster and easier. I put it in my Dreamcast and it will not self-boot, even though I've done exactly the same procedure with FrNES, DreamSNES, Doomdc and Quakedc and they all turned out alright.

Now, strange thing is when I boot it up with the VGA adaptor I get a distorted splash screen of NesterDC but I have no control over the menus. So, I'm suspecting this has something to do with the fact that my Dreamcast is a PAL machine. Early model it is too, a HKT-3030, which I bought at the European launch date (1999).

If anyone can help me out, I'll be glad. FYI, I have a Philips CDRW800 burner.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Not sure what you are doing worng, but it does work on PAL DCs as I can testify...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Be smart and burn it with DiscJuggler, works for me.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

r u rewriting a cdrw? dcs dont run cdrw out of the box, u need to mod em.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Tyne wrote: Be smart and burn it with DiscJuggler, works for me.
He probably did use that or Nero cuz he used Dir2boot... or you could be mega-smart and use CDRecord ;)
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

i took me like 3 CDs to get NesterDc to run on my PAL Dreamcast...in the end i had to use a different PC to burn it and for some reason it actually worked...dunno if it was just luck or what :P
s13
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by s13 »

Get Dreamcast Factory.
It has worked every time for me.
Selfbooting has never been easier.
Raised on anime and proud of it!
Lupin[lvl]
Gentleman Thief
Gentleman Thief

Post by Lupin[lvl] »

i also testify it works on launch date model pal dcs
SmitZo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SmitZo »

I have a Plextor 12X10X32 a Yamaha 8X4X24 and a plain SCSI recorder 2X2X16 and the ONLY one i can get NesterDC to copy and work is on the plain SCSI one for somereason....

Why don't you get someone else to burn it for you and see if it plays ???
Dante
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dante »

Never mind folks, I already got it to work with Dream Factory. There must be something I've overlooked when I was doing it manually, because it worked first time around with Dream Factory. And truth be said, NesterDC truly is an excellent emulator - it's almost a superior experience to playing the games on your NES! It even plays Castlevania 3 - which the original Nester on PC doesn't support. All in all, my regards go to the talented lead coder behind NesterDC.