Here's one word to sum up The Legend of Zelda:The Wind Waker

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Here's one word to sum up The Legend of Zelda:The Wind Waker

Post by CupNoodle »

Dissapointing, and it's so sad that a game like this with so much potential was flushed down the drain. The overall story and a presentation of the game is very good dont get me wrong, but where it fails is the gameplay and difficulty. The gameplay on land is basically a carbon copy of OoT's control scheme. However, the sailing and sea faring part of the game is nothing but monotonous, tedious, long, drawn-out, almost meaningless work. It takes too damn long to sail from one island to the next and even when you do recieve the warp spell, you are still only able to warp NEAR imperative spots in the game. The ocean and its islands are divided over a 7x7 grid, thats 49 squares to those of you who didnt pass elementary school. Oh, and by the way, roughly 95% of that world is just ocean. Okay that was my rant about gameplay. Now, this difficulty issue. I'd like to start off by saying i didn't die ONCE in Wind Waker, and thats nothing to be proud of. This game is ridiculously easy, the bosses basically had their weaknesses pointed out and 75% of the enemies in the game only do a quarter heart of damage. I remember the good ol' days when i had to die a couple times at a boss before i said to myself "Oh, I guess I just cant go in swinging and slashing my sword aimlessly". Well such is the case with Wind Wakers bosses, that is that they require no skill or strategy at all. What's more is the difficulty of the dungeons! Perhaps some of the most pathetic puzzles ever. And in two of the dungeons you have to carry another character around with you to help you get through it, talk about boring. The dungeons in most of the previous Zelda games (forgive me, i didnt play Majoras Mask so i cant compare that with anything) were challenging and required one to search every nook and cranny, and every unturned stone just to find a key, and when you did it felt great. I mean, remember the Water Temple in OoT? And because these dungeons were challenging, that meant they were FUN! I can compare the dungeons of Wind Waker to...oh...say the sailing of Wind Waker, monotonous and tedious. The graphics, plot, sound, and even the miniquests (save the endless sailing) of Wind Waker are quite good, but it's NOTHING like it's predecessors IMHO.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I agree certain parts of the game were disappointing but overall I really enjoyed it while it lasted. The sailing was indeed monotonous and rubbish though. At first I actually quite enjoyed it but in the end I just found it extremely annoying that the game had been padded out this way. I think the main problem for me was that the previous games had raised the bar so high that it was nigh impossible for Wind Waker to match them nevermind surpass them. Anyway, the Bonus disk is still one the best freebies ever and that made up for any disappointment IMO :)
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I loved it more than the others. I don't know, but I like how the islands are split up and how you have to move your ass to get there, unlike in previous adventures, you walked a 3 mile block. It seemed more "epic" to me. I don't, call me a chump or "fanboy."
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

It was extremely easy. Only came close to dieing once and that was when i was fighting 4 of those armored dogs in a room wth flame throwers (part of that long quest on outset island to get the heart peice) I actually got down to 2 hearts of health.

You know whats sad, my cousin can't get nowhere in that game. I told him he might as well quit playing video games if he can't play that game. Yet he claims to have beaten GTA3 on PS2.

Still all in all it was a fun game. Had a good story line and good controls (too bad kingdom hearts didn't have that kind of control). I still hated the graphics, they took a game that has a serious storyline and made it into a childish looking cartoon.

Id rather a game be too easy, then too hard. This is the first game Nintendo has made in a long time that I didn't find to be insanely difficult.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I didnt so much find it dissapointing, and I think it was a good game, but you could see its flaws.

The abilty to avoid attacks by timing A made even the hardest enemies pathetically easy. You didnt veen need a shield, jsut face them and wait till you hear the "press A" sound. That's the same way you finish off ganondorf as well.

I wasn't too bothered about the sailing parts, i found it quite relaxing and I don't believe games like Zelda should be all action all the time, I even went round to every island and filled up my map before completing.

My only other complaint is the dungeons, they seem generic, tired and boring, especially the last two. Games magazines are starting to complain about a theme in games I used to think was great - the elements.
Since the platformers progressed from the original Super Mario Bros, it seems any adventure/rpg/platform game needs something to with fire, earth, water and air. It's getting boring now, you know what to expect.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

BoneyCork wrote:I even went round to every island and filled up my map before completing.
Me too, ugh that took too long.
JoeyStyles66
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JoeyStyles66 »

Ocarina Of Time was the best one IMO :mrgreen:
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I still haven't gotten around to getting all the triforce pieces, but I did beat the last temple or whatever a week or so ago. The sailing was a bit boring, but I enjoyed it, and the warping is great IMO. I died a few times, no more than 3 times, though.

I still haven't beaten it, though... but IMO a great game.
It's thinking...
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

I only picked it up a Sunday. Excellant game. I don't mind the cell-shading so much now as i hated it except for the characters. They're pathetic.

All in all though - great game. Can't put it down.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

JoeyStyles66 wrote:Ocarina Of Time was the best one IMO :mrgreen:
The original NES game is the best one IMO.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I looked forward to it.. liked it...

problem is, i get to about the 3rd 'dungeon' and get bored..

it's been collecting dust ever since.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:I looked forward to it.. liked it...

problem is, i get to about the 3rd 'dungeon' and get bored..

it's been collecting dust ever since.
ditto...only I got bored of it before I got to the third dungeon
MystiK
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by MystiK »

The Oracle of Time was the best Zelda game ever, I spent half of a whole summer playing it when it just came out, 12am - 12pm :mrgreen: The minigames, especially the fishing were very entertaining.
Since they started with Majora's Mask/Mask of Mujala, then the other cel-shaded thing for Gamecube..it just went downhill
French Connection United Kingdom should be renamed to French Union Connection Klothing
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

MystiK wrote:The Oracle of Time was the best Zelda game ever,
lmfao! "The Oracle of Time" eh? :lol: It's oracle of ages.
Last edited by CupNoodle on Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Veggita2099 wrote: Only came close to dieing once and that was when i was fighting 4 of those armored dogs in a room wth flame throwers (part of that long quest on outset island to get the heart peice) I actually got down to 2 hearts of health.
same here. those battles in the levels after the triforce thing were the best though.

i still havent beaten it yet, still obtaining the last few heart pieces, i did like it though. i dont play games for a challenge, i just play them to have fun.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

My fav zelda game is the one on SNES. I bet I have beaten that game 50 times. In fact I might just have to start a new game. Just everything about it was great. IT had just the right difficulty, not insanely hard, but not insanely easy. Had good music, good story, interesting dungeons, interesting bosses, it just was a great game. My second fac is OOT. I love that game almost as much as LTTP. I rank Wind Waker 3rd. I hated Majora's mask, it was a rip off. The first 2 on NES was classics, but the newer ones just have beaten them. Far as the Oracle of XXXX series goes they was mediocre. I won't talk bad about them, but won't talk good about them either. There worth the $18 each they go for now.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:My fav zelda game is the one on SNES. I bet I have beaten that game 50 times. In fact I might just have to start a new game. Just everything about it was great. IT had just the right difficulty, not insanely hard, but not insanely easy. Had good music, good story, interesting dungeons, interesting bosses, it just was a great game. My second fac is OOT. I love that game almost as much as LTTP. I rank Wind Waker 3rd. I hated Majora's mask, it was a rip off. The first 2 on NES was classics, but the newer ones just have beaten them. Far as the Oracle of XXXX series goes they was mediocre. I won't talk bad about them, but won't talk good about them either. There worth the $18 each they go for now.
Wow, I completely agree with you.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

My only problem with OOT is I hate the water temple. I just find it so anoying and confusing. It seems whenever I play the game, I kinda stop once I get to there cos I hate having to play through that dungeon.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

BoneyCork wrote:My only problem with OOT is I hate the water temple. I just find it so anoying and confusing. It seems whenever I play the game, I kinda stop once I get to there cos I hate having to play through that dungeon.
PLay that level in MAsters Quest...UGG!!!!
What always got me was that hidden room underneath the floating platform in that building in the middle.

It was a neat looking area though, and I remeber being impressed with that room where you fight your shadow.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

The Shadow Link fight was beautiful. Probably the best scene in a video game.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.