doom 64

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

doom 64

Post by law »

anyone up for porting this ? best doom ever imho

http://www.doom2.net/~elbryan/

and a really nice port it is too :)
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Needs a lot of coding. Its based on latest Doomsday Engine.
At least, the sources for the Doom64.dll are availible. So it would maybe be possible.
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

I believe BlackAura (maker of nxDoom) once mentioned that a port of Doomsday would be difficult (perhaps impossible) because the engine was in ways more complex and sophisticated than Quake 2. So without the Doomsday engine there's no Doom 64 TC (which does very much kick ass, BTW).
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ya, I'll roll over in my un-dug grave the day this is ported over! :) In the mean time, be sure to take time out to try it on the PC, it is really quite the HIGH Quality MOD!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah, I did look at Doomsday, and it's certainly way too advanced for me to port over. Or even comprehend, to tell the truth.

I did consider porting an updated Doom engine. Initially, I tried a Boom-compatable engine which had a lot of really nice features (don't remember the name, it was a rather obscure one), but it just didn't work properly on the DC - it just reset the system.

I think I might be able to port prBoom over now (but not when I started nxDoom), but I'd have to change quite a lot of it's features to get it to work on the DC. There's a few that either don't make sense on a DC, or would require a lot of modification.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

hmm i have no idea of dc coding or dc linux, but couldnt you cut out everything from dclinux apart from joypad, keyboard sound and gfx ( and lan support ;) ) from dclinux ? prboom already runs on that, its only slow bc of memory lack
ImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... Yes, that's probably possible. I'm currently experimenting with building small Linux systems that run off floppy discs on a PC, and it might be possible to do something similar with LinuxDC. Maybe.

That said, I've never managed to get the Linux kernel to even compile for the SH-4. And I've never managed to make a bootable LinuxDC disc aside from the pre-build images.

But even then, the Linux kernel probably takes up a good 4MB or more of RAM, even without the RAM disc. Maybe if you made the thing boot directly into prBoom (instead of init, as in a normal Linux system) and re-wrote parts of prBoom to use the Linux framebuffer drivers (which are pretty slow compared to the stuff you can do with KOS) it could well work. But it would be quite a challenge. Not to mention the fact that it would be a real pain the the backside to selfboot without a Linux system.

I might try that one day. But I think it might be easier to port it over to KallistiOS, or wait for KOS 1.3.x to settle down a bit - it's a more Unix-like system than KOS 1.2.0, and would require less rewriting to get stuff working. It's actually turning into an OS now, instead of just being a function library.
Master Higgins
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Master Higgins »

can somone gimme a brief history on the doomsday engine? Is it the same engine as doom or what? Heavily modifyed? If so who modified it? Anyways tell me bout it I am interested :mrgreen:
cybdmn
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cybdmn »

Heavy modified port.

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
...where the sanest place is behind a trigger
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

VERY VERY Heavily Modified, goto:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/deng/
mmnpsrsoskl
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by mmnpsrsoskl »

Erm, wouldn't the DC have to load the WAD file onto memory to be able to play it? If so, it wouldn't be able to do that. :?:
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No, it doesn't. The PC versions happily ran on systems with 4MB of RAM, even though the WAD files were 10MB for Doom 1, 12MB for Ultimate Doom, and 15MB (maybe more) for Doom 2. It'll happily load stuff as it requires it from the disc.
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by law »

prboom on dclinux is the best example for that ;)
ImageImage
skedar99
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by skedar99 »

id forget bout it would be very hardsomeone did ill buy em a beer :lol:
What are you waiting for... Christmas?