dreamcast rocks, but xbox not too shabby.

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SEGA Dominates in the ARCADE

Post by Chainfist »

X-Box, G-Cube and Pee-S2 are all fine and dandy.. but where are they in the Arcades?

In the arcades, SEGA dominates. At least 1/3 of all the machines I see in arcades these days are SEGA machines. Could the other consoles stand a fighting chance in an Arcade environment? Who would win?

http://www.system16.com/sega/flyers/GDROM.JPG
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

zero wrote: hmmm, not that i wanna get pulled back into this again, but he is right in thinking the xbox is a more powerfull system, its the most powerfull console out at the moment, and anyone who thinks otherwise are kidding them selfs, ... but the xbox is more powerfull then the dc, and no matter what processer a system has you can still tell whats more powerfull.
And just how can you tell? :|

Hey, you may be right. Maybe XBox is Soooooooooo powerful that one doesn't even have to think before one says that it's more powerful than Dreamcast, but what if one took the time to think about it.

What I'm against is these blind technical comparisons. Yeah, I know software is the determining factor, but is that just an excuse to avaoid comparing hardware?

XBox games still have pop-up, XBox games still have slowdown, sometimes in unrealistic area.... am I the only one who sees these things?

People are afraid of comparing Dreamcast to XBox, because 733MHZ sounds like a very large number. I'm not afraid. If being inquisitive and refusing to accept "it has 64MB of RAM" as a valid argument is kidding myself, then I will kid myself forever.

XBox is made out to look like some Uber console, yet it is still subject to the same performance glitches as the other consoles, including Dreamcast. That alone says a lot about how much more powerful than Dreamcast it is. :?

And anyone who cannot see this fact is kidding themselves :D
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

For many things, the Xbox is a more "powerful" machine than the DC. Or perhaps "suitable" would be a more appropriate word.

However, it suffers from the fact that it's still basiclly a PC. It can't really run any games faster than the equivalent PC could run a game optimised slightly for it's video card and CPU. The P3 is really not a good choice for a games machine, since P3s really aren't designed for that kind of thing. The Xbox gets by on brute force power, instead of the more elegant designs of the DC and Gamecube, or the excessively complex design of the PS2.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

nymus wrote:XBox has 64MB and Dreamcast has 26MB RAM. At first glance, this looks like a huge gap, but think about the size of Windows 2000, DirectX 9 and the mere fact that XBox is said to be capable of rendering 100 million polygons means that 64MB or ram is NECESSARY.
Xbox doesn't run Windows 2000. It runs a stripped down kernel of Windows 2000. It doesn't have a full OS on it, so it doesn't take that much memory.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

Xylene wrote: Xbox doesn't run Windows 2000. It runs a stripped down kernel of Windows 2000. It doesn't have a full OS on it, so it doesn't take that much memory.
Your right there. My bad.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

No the essence of fanboyism is blindly believing the Xbox is a good gaming system when the gaming titles it offers show it up as a very poor option.
I agree with your opinion in this case. But that's all it is. An opinion. Some people think it has a great library by their own standards. THAT IS AN OPINION EITHER WAY.
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

if u see only technicals spec xbox is the best, which is the best consoles depends on what u want if u want more games go with piece of shit 2 (ps2) if uy want emulation go to xbox (i think is the only use i can give it) i u want boys games go to nintendo and if u want a lot of all go to DREAMCAST (Dc looks better thant de PS2, Xbox looks equal and sometimes worst than dc and gc)
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

darkmaster wrote:if u see only technicals spec xbox is the best, which is the best consoles depends on what u want if u want more games go with piece of poop 2 (ps2) if uy want emulation go to xbox (i think is the only use i can give it) i u want boys games go to nintendo and if u want a lot of all go to DREAMCAST (Dc looks better thant de PS2, Xbox looks equal and sometimes worst than dc and gc)
Maybe you should get your eyes checked.
DreamBorder
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by DreamBorder »

Dreamcast looks smooth, colorfull and, polished but, Xbox just has more lush graphic's that arent smooth. Xbox and PS2 look like that have very poor anti alasing effects to me. Xbox still has better graphics tho. GC has pretty nice smoothness like DC but has slighty worse graphics that Xbox.
Bleemcast = God On a Disk

XnOoXrOKX OeXhOtX OeXvOoXlO XIO!
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

compare soul calibur 2 in ps2 with soul calibur in dc, dc kick ps2 ass
compare dead or alive 2 DC and dead or alive 3 in xbox, is mostly the same but xbox game is faster than doa 2 DC

Remenber DC is a 1:1 Port of naomi arcade

Xbox , its like have a pc connect to a TV (So great) but his games library isnt so great (even with robotech, ninja gaiden and halo , we need RPGs) the advantage of xbox is that is ll have the most Sega Games (Shemnue, Sega Sports Games etc) and Some Tecmo Games (This Rulez).

Gamecube (Greats Graphics) ( Poor Games)
Zelda Windwaker was a ass pain (little child graphics )
Metroid Prime (Good)
but looks the console itself these controllers Sucks

Them come the King of Marketin

PS2 with the worst specs but with the major games library and the more seller

Xbox is like neogeo (too most advanced with little game library )
Nintendo some of the same (n64 high quality , poor games)

Conclusion: wait for a ps2 emu for xbox (haha in xbox u can play anything with a mod chip)

and yeah DC loooks equal like Xbox and i have a perfect vision (if u want to look a diference buy a vga box)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Poor games on the Gamecube? Are we talking about the same Gamecube here? As long as you don't have this whole "if it looks childish then it must be crap" thing happening, and you don't want endless safe, unoriginal games, it has a lot of great games. Windwaker being on of the best.
Garmo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Garmo »

Jesus christ people. Id hate to find out how old the lot of you are.

Because a good amount of you have rushed and irrational opinions much the same way a loser 16 year old would have.

a lot of the crap spewed out in this thread about the different consoles is just htat: Crap. Most of it is near truths, or not true whatsoever. The rest tends to be an illogical stretch of facts such as "Okay, so the xbox has a hard drive. but the dreamcas has a fishing rod controller". Dotn get me wrong, the VMU is rad, but realistically, its kind of useless. Most people only used it as much as having an icon of the game displayed on the controller. Plus, it had only 200 blocks of space.

In anycase, concidering i never really said anything like "this system is the best no matter wut and all utherz r crap.", I kinda got E-Jumped. Which only adds to my initail point, which is that you're closed minded fools. Open up a little bit, enjoy the industry for what it is, and stop your blind hatred towards games due to what system they're on. Jesus christ. If Xbox was a black guy, GameCube a white guy, Dreamcast a mexican, and Playstion/2 an asian, damn near ever single person here would be RACIST. And we all know how bad racism is.

so stop fucking discriminating.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

We're not "discriminating". Is it a crime to prefer one console's selection of titles over another's? To feel that one's peripherals are more ingenious than anothers? To think that the quality of a console is not based on technical specifications alone; in fact, they play almost no part in measuring how good a console is. Want to know what the best console I've ever owned is? The Mega Drive. It's not as technically adavnced as anything released during the last two rounds of the console wars, but it's the games that count. Just because the Xbox has a hard-drive and a beefy processor, that doesn't make it the ultimate, hands-down winner of the console wars. Not by a long shot.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

Garmo wrote:Jesus christ people. Id hate to find out how old the lot of you are.
Garmo wrote: Because a good amount of you have rushed and irrational opinions much the same way a loser 16 year old would have.
Garmo wrote: Which only adds to my initail point, which is that you're closed minded fools.
I don't think a mature, open-minded intellectual goes around arguing like this.

This topic is about objective comparison. Like it or not, gamers will always want to argue which system is better. It's like sports. You can't have just one world cup and call it quits. I think it keeps things fresh and exciting. If you disagree with what someone else has to say, post your different opinion, don't start insulting people; that's how the boards work.

I don't think anyone here is filled with hatred for anyone else. Likening people to racists is no different from saying that playing Doom trains killers. Of course we'll trash talk, but that doesn't mean we hate each other.

And in response, I stand by my argument that the XBox hard drive is a cool feature unique to XBox. I did not say the VMu is better. I simply said that having a hard drive gives XBox some "style" for lack of a better word. Of course the VMU has less space than the XBox hard drive. However, it's a cool gadget. Developers may not have fully exploited it, but it's unique to Dreamcast.

Not all XBox games have downloadable content that can be saved on the Hard Drive. Not all Dreamcast games have VMU mini-games. You can't save as much data to VMU, but you can't play mini games on XBox. Like I said, you win some, you lose some.

I believe these are very objective arguments. I'm simply stating that we shouldn't just accept large figures as an indication of a console's superiority.
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

i think out of all the consoles out right now, that the gamecube is the best, i've had more fun with my gamecube then any other console out of the ones thats out now, im not putting one system down, or anything, im giving my opinion that i think the xbox is a good console, and it has a lot of space to get even better, and just look at the new games that will be coming out for xbox this year and next, for people that don't have a kick ass pc, and want the best ports of games, the xbox is the right choice, and it will have a lot of good games imo, when people put the xbox down, they most likely do it cos, they have a powerfull enough pc to run all them cool pc ports, so they don't see any need for it, is a console really shit even if it has good games thats also on something else that you could also get?, how many dc games where there that you can't pick up for ps2, gc, xbox well?, remember just cos it has games that you don't want don't need, already have on something, doesn't make it a bad console, cos you have to think of all the good games you don't need cos you already have planning on getting them on another console/pc.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

The Equation is simple.
XBOX is for those who like Action Games. PS2 is for those who like RPG's. Nintendo is for those who like fun platform games. These are the strengths of the consoles and they do them well.

SEGA was a good machine. It had a little something that you could find in each of the other consoles. So SEGA is doing well now supporting software on each of these machines.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

hmm.

i will say again

dreamast?
Dust on the Dreamcast
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

darkmaster wrote:compare soul calibur 2 in ps2 with soul calibur in dc, dc kick ps2 ass
compare dead or alive 2 DC and dead or alive 3 in xbox, is mostly the same but xbox game is faster than doa 2 DC
Actually I have both SC for DC and SC2 for PS2. The PS2 version is astonishing, maybe the best port ever made for the ps2, and is absolutely superior to the DC one. So you lied.

"compare dead or alive 2 DC and dead or alive 3 in xbox, is mostly the same but xbox game is faster than doa 2 DC"
Actually the grafical difference is huge. Try to play it in something bigger than a 3" Black and white TV
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Try to play it in something bigger than a 3" Black and white TV
:lol:
Herby
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Herby »

My, what a fun discussion. I actually think the only way to go right know is owning multiple consoles.

Basically, a PS2 has it's place in my library for the same reason my Dreamcast is still hooked up...variety. There are games that are released for the PS2 that would not have a home on any other console. Ape Escape 2, Pengel, Ico!!!!, Mr Mosquito, Parappa, DDR, Mark of Kri, Dark Cloud II, the list goes on and on. For the RPGers, you need a PS2 for any worthwhile gaming. People rants on and on about $ony and how greedy and corporate they are, forgetting every other console manufacturer is a corporation as well.

Along with that, I think a second console nowadays is pretty much necessary. Mine is a Gamecube, simply for Nintendo's 1st party games. I had a choice last summer between the Cube and the Box, and it was simple. There were far more exclusive Cube games, with Monkey Ball, Mario, Smash Bros, Metroid, Zelda, that were either out, or coming soon. Xbox had Halo, but that was about it.

I don't think people are bashing the Xbox simply for the sake of bashing it. There is a simple fact that a Dreamcast fan bought the system for a variety of software with a focus of Japanese type of games, and I really don't know any Xbox owner that would say their system has that variety nor Japan support. Then again, I don't know anybody with only an Xbox, the people I know that own one have it as a secondary system to a PS2 - something that I believe is now very common.