RIAA Warning

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

No.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

o.k.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I don't use Kazaa or any crap P2P network, they plain suck for anything but music. Is IRC affected in anyway?
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

farrel, there is a difference between DLing one or two tracks to try something out and DLing the entire album.

IRC will remain unaffected for a while, as most people are too stupid to use a "command line" filesharing app.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
Boshi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Boshi »

If they think that they can be a bunch of cowardly pencil-necked motherfuckers and take us to court, they are fucked-up in the head.
If you cant use words to solve a problem, use force. This is OUR internet, they are not welcome here. I say as soon as they start sueing people, we retaliate. Heck, we dont even need to do anything real, we could DoS them into submission.

There are 4 million users online according to Kazaa lite right now, if only 10% of them had Cable, DSL or Tx.

Just imagine a flood of pings coming from 400,000 boradband connections.
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

I've stopped using KaZaA Lite. C'est crap.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Boshi wrote:If they think that they can be a bunch of cowardly pencil-necked fudger and take us to court, they are fudge-up in the head.
If you cant use words to solve a problem, use force. This is OUR internet, they are not welcome here. I say as soon as they start sueing people, we retaliate. Heck, we dont even need to do anything real, we could DoS them into submission.
Exactly the kind of sentiments that allows people to make stupid laws in the first place.

Idiotic. 'this is OUR internet? wtf?
:?

EDIT: Oh, and please do explain to me how a DoS attack isn't 'real'. Seeing as it is against the law, and downloading copyrighted works unlawfully is a CIVIL matter and DoSing websites is a CRIMINAL matter which in most peoples opinions is VERY real.
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

The Internet belongs to no one person.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

DoSing is a serious thing. Especially when the victim has legions of guarddog lawyers at their service.

DoSing would be like a violent protest, while a boycott would be a non-violent protest. And a boycott where you involve other people against their will (my way) is an agressive, non-violent protest.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

That really pisses me off it makes me want to steel music even more. I have bought more CD's BECAUSE of P2p Trading and i currently own the cd for every song on my pc Gotta love the second hand record store :)
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Record sales have been on a near-steady decline since the late 70's, I don't know where they're pulling the 2000 figure from... They're not going to stop this in any way for as long as there is music there will always be the bootleg!
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

And album prices are stupidly cheap. $13 a pop in most cases.
No signature.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Where you are, maybe they are. They're very expensive over here.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

$13 is not cheap.
It's thinking...
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

The price of nearly everything has increased since the 70s, but why must the increase in record prices be so drastic? It used to be $3-7 for a record..... Now the average record that comes out has an MSRP of $15.

It has changed, bands used to make the bulk of their money off of concerts, now its from record sales. But with Clear Channel, the RIAA, etc, music has become all about money. It cant just be that artists do it for the art, and making a living anymore. The only way to get that is to stick to your local scene......
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

|darc| wrote:$13 is not cheap.
Compared to when they were closer to $20 (and above), I'd say it's an improvement. And of course all prices are USD owing to my nationality, but I'd hope that the same scale could be applied to foreign markets.
Just like DVDs, when they first came out you couldn't find one under $20. Now most are sub $20, with only the really special packages topping that number. And then not by much.
Let's not even discuss video games. I'll just say that the death of the cartridge format is possibly the single greatest event to happen to the economics of the home console.
No signature.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

toastman wrote:
|darc| wrote:$13 is not cheap.
Compared to when they were closer to $20 (and above), I'd say it's an improvement. And of course all prices are USD owing to my nationality, but I'd hope that the same scale could be applied to foreign markets.
Just like DVDs, when they first came out you couldn't find one under $20. Now most are sub $20, with only the really special packages topping that number. And then not by much.
Let's not even discuss video games. I'll just say that the death of the cartridge format is possibly the single greatest event to happen to the economics of the home console.
*Cough*GBA*Cough*

Although that probably isn't technically classed as a console ;)
beerbaron
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by beerbaron »

When I read about the RIAA's plans to sue individual file shares I had the idea that someone should make special software to fool Kazza into thinking you are sharing tons of copyrighted songs and then allow the RIAA guys who find you to download the fake songs by sending just junk data. Then when they come to sue you, you can countersue for their frivolous lawsuit. Now I doubt they're gonna just sue people without actually listening to the songs they're downloading. Unless the act of downloading the songs (reguardless of your licence to them) is illegal.

The downside of a fake sharer for Kazza would be that people looking for the songs wouldn't be able to find them because of all the fake shares...

Ah well. I'm a DC++ man myself.
ringdabells
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ringdabells »

The Artists made next to nothing on the CD sales. They make most of their money from Concerts. The RIAA (music companies) takes most the money from CDs.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

ringdabells wrote:The Artists made next to nothing on the CD sales. They make most of their money from Concerts. The RIAA (music companies) takes most the money from CDs.
Yet more factually incorrect statements in this thread :roll:

The majority of signed artists make *almost nothing* on their tours, they make their money from the album sales: concerts are basically glorified adverts for their new album.

Thats why when you go see a band play live they play all their new songs from their new album instead of just the songs from existing albums that eevryone has already heard a million times even though thats what the majority of people attending actually *want* to hear.

Duh.