playing real player videos?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

playing real player videos?

Post by emptythought »

i know currently you can't, but do you think it could be possible to play rm (real player) video files on the dc? i'm thinkin no, but i'm not sure? how would i got about converting them to mpeg-1 or dixv4.xx video files so that i can play them on the dc as of right now? thanks!
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

At the moment I don't think there is a way to convert realplayer I have tried many things but none work, REAL is a company that is very fussy and they don't want people converting there stuff (atleast thats what I have heard ) please somebody tell me if I am wrong because I wanna watch my family guy episodes on dreamcast :p
BurgerKing-Where Ca$h is King
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

Ugh, begin rant about RM to AVI conversion:

There is a program called Tinra .. the old version sucked, but the new one (0.05) is good. Download it, stablizer, and the GUI (can all be got from the DL page), put them into the same directory, and select all 3 extensions when it asks you. All your RMs will now have 'Convert to AVI' options in their right click menus. Just select an RM, Convert to AVI, select DivX, set the bitrate, and away you go. Takes as long as the episode/show would normally take to play.

Your other option is a intelligent screen capture utility (like http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/), disable all hardware-enhanced rendering in RealPlayer, hitting play, and then recording the stream using the software to DivX ... your milage may vary, and to decode the audio you can either use Ra2Wav (you should be able to find it around) or just plug a loopback cable (stereo jack on both sides) from line in to line out and record along with the video.

End rant.
JustinVisible wrote: At the moment I don't think there is a way to convert realplayer I have tried many things but none work, REAL is a company that is very fussy and they don't want people converting there stuff (atleast thats what I have heard ) please somebody tell me if I am wrong because I wanna watch my family guy episodes on dreamcast :p
complex720
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by complex720 »

Realmedia is something I've been wanting on DC for awhile but, chances look slim "right now" but, I've seen like multimedia programs around on the net that play pretty much all formats including real media so maybe someone will port one of those over to the DC; Who knows :roll:
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

nevermind
JustinVisible
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JustinVisible »

Thanks Krypt man, I will try the Tinra thing I have tried snagit before but it didn't work very well on my computer :)
BurgerKing-Where Ca$h is King
ultradude
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by ultradude »

kRYPT_ : Thx for that info on converting RM to AVI :) I have some old Sonic Underground Eps in RM formatt that i can watch on DC now..though i dont think it;ll look all that good cauz the res is low for RM files, but..oh well..should be cool to watch em on TV anyways :)
N-D-SKIES
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by N-D-SKIES »

I tried the TINRA convertor, but it just leaves me with audio and no video. Can some 1 help?
kRYPT_
DCFactory Creator
DCFactory Creator

Post by kRYPT_ »

You must have the latest RealPlayer isntalled.

If still no go, give EO Video a try.
N-D-SKIES wrote: I tried the TINRA convertor, but it just leaves me with audio and no video. Can some 1 help?