A New Encoding Software Call Dr Divx Better Than Virtualdub

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
montell
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A New Encoding Software Call Dr Divx Better Than Virtualdub

Post by montell »

There is a new program whats come out on the divx website at http://www.divx.com go on that website and read for further details. :D
M.Rowley
montell
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: A New Encoding Software Call Dr Divx Better Than Virtualdub

Post by montell »

montell wrote:There is a new program whats come out on the divx website at http://www.divx.com go on that website and read for further details. :D
I got this program and I thought It was great to used.
M.Rowley
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

A bit more costly than VirtualDub, but looks like a nice app. Thanks for the info.
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Well, since you sya it's better, what can it do that Virtual dub cannot?
montell
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Dr Divx

Post by montell »

DeGamer wrote:Well, since you sya it's better, what can it do that Virtual dub cannot?
if you go on the divx website and click on Dr Divx it will tell you more infomation on what Dr Divx is about. :D
M.Rowley
Azra_Blackmoor
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Azra_Blackmoor »

Looks nice and treamlined but Im going to wait to see how the results compare to VirtualDub
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I just tried this, it encoded slowly and when I finally got my divx movie, rather than use the divx codec it installed. I now have a video in xVid format.
useless for divx. woo! :evil:
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

BoneyCork wrote:I just tried this, it encoded slowly and when I finally got my divx movie, rather than use the divx codec it installed. I now have a video in xVid format.
useless for divx. woo! :evil:
Hmmm.. that doesn't sound cool. I don't like dealing with the xVid codec. I'll just stick with VD.
Azra_Blackmoor
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Azra_Blackmoor »

Me to
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Umm... Dr. Divx doesn't work with Xvid. It's made by Divx Networks for Divx 5.0.x encoding. Xvid is a competing codec to Divx. It doesnt do EVERYTHING Virtual Dub does, as Vdub is a general purpose encoder and can repair/rebuild and do all sorts of other neat things. But Dr. Divx is much better for just converting between formats (ie DVD to Divx)... Very very easy to use. You are supposed to install and use the Divx codec it comes packaged with, otherwise it might not work right. Virtual Dub is free, Dr. Divx is not as they are licensing various codecs/filters.

You should read up on it more at http://www.divx.com before leaping to conclusions as to its purpose and features, as well as how to use it. It is NOT meant to replace Virtual Dub, but rather compete with other easy encoders like XMPEG and Vidomi, but its faster and produces better output than those. It also includes the full Divx 5.0.x Pro codec ($20 alone) in the package. But once again, it costs money while others are free... it is a good program regardless, but I probably wont buy it unless they implement enough new features in later versions.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Seems pretty good so far as a conversion tool. It even managed to encode the old 1.5GB Bakshi LOTR video I've had taking up space on my second drive for YEARS and kept the audio in perfect sync. I have spent literally years off and on trying to get that converted with all the known methods of trying to keep the audio in sync, and this worked fine first time.

Have not yet tried encoding it down to something playable by DCDivx though.

I want to try to see how well the direct capture works. The only application that seems to be able to capture straight to DivX on my machine without dropping too many frames in fullscreen doesn't allow for an external audio codec, which makes the DivX files sometimes even larger than MPEG-2... :roll:

Hopefully this should be able to do it much better.

Fourteen days remain...
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Azra_Blackmoor
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Azra_Blackmoor »

Another easy converter (DVD-DivX) is EasyDivx. Takes it straight from the DVD and gives you a DivX file
DeGamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer »

Azra_Blackmoor wrote:Another easy converter (DVD-DivX) is EasyDivx. Takes it straight from the DVD and gives you a DivX file
WARNING: Easy DivX contains a virus
Azra_Blackmoor
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Azra_Blackmoor »

Really? ARGH
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Dr. Divx is very good (read my above post for more info), but if you're looking for something free that and easy (with help from a ripper like DVD decrypter), I've heard Neodivx is good. Have not actually used it myself. Vidomi is very easy too, probably the easiest of all, but does not produce good results with newer Divx codecs. It hasn't been touched in a while either AFAIK. XMPEG has the potential to get really good, right now its buggy as heck.

someoneElse: I've heard the Direct capture with Dr Divx is good, but needs some work. You can give it a shot, certainly.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.