Doom is rubbish

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
betaiotaomega
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Doom is rubbish

Post by betaiotaomega »

Is it just me or can you only use like 2 guns and go on 1 level. It is rubbish
Yoshi !!
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

betaiotaomega wrote:Is it just me or can you only use like 2 guns and go on 1 level. It is rubbish
:evil: Its just you! :evil:

Seriously!, Your only using the shareware wad pack right??

What do you expect??, the shareware wad pack is only a demo!!!!

Go out and buy one of the Doom series and use the .wads from those! (all the levels and all the guns!!)
betaiotaomega
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by betaiotaomega »

So its not free? What is the piont in that, might as well pop in Perfect Dark and have a raz on that!
Yoshi !!
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

The point of it is: Anyone who owns and apprieciated the pc versions of any of the doom series can play them on the DC on a big TV!!!

I really hate peoples attitude when the expect everything to be free!! Would you start a job in the games industry creating a game for 12-18 months then when its completed give it away for nothing??? I mean come on Crt0 and DCG have spent a lot of time on this emu!! and its free!, the first thing you do when you dont understand it is call the idea rubbish (If we are playing by your standards Ill help you with that German essay your having problems with.....But it will cost you $10 (Its not free, whats the point in that??))
cyberinsekt
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by cyberinsekt »

Here, Here!
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Jeeze... you only posted twice in this thread.... your rubbish!!!!
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Doom may not be your cup of tea, but its considered a classic by most older gamers. I spent many many many hours playing deathmatch on two 486's hooked together with a null modem serial cable.

At the time of its release, the graphics were down right incredible. It had this surrealistic feel. Catching an unexpected glimpse of an imp in a flickering light really made you jump. It took years for the rest of the industry to catch up to that level of immersion.

Perfect Dark would probably not even exist without the ground breaking (and industry changing) games such as wolfenstein, doom, and quake.
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Hmm, Quake to a VERY much lesser extent... but for multiplay over the internet, Quake was very much the originator in that! :D
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

doom dont look so hot on DC

Post by otakonx »

I noticed something strange on my doomdc the other day. I was playing the dc version earlier in the day, kill some things then shut it off. then a few hors latter I played it on the PC and noticed that the DC version looks real bad in comparison! For some reason or another the DC version looks washed out expecially in the ceiling and floor textures. I'm guessing it's because it's in a low low resolution... anybody know whats up? is it me?!

Otakonx
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

The reason it looks washed out is because the Tile Accelerator is being used to scale the internal 320x200 framebuffer up to the 640x480 screen resolution used. The internal framebuffer is only 8-bit color (that is, 256 arbitrary colors). You smear an image with lots of solid colors, and not a lot of color vareity, and it's gonna look bad. Another thing to check might be your television; perhaps you have some bad color settings too... I know my TV is pretty bad :\
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

bad colors huh...

Post by otakonx »

so there is no way to fix the actual look of the game on a tv? I wonder if they can port the psx version to the dc then, that version kicked ass!

otakonx
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yes, there is a way to make it looke better: run the game in higher resolution. Most newer PC ports of doom (such as DoomLegacy, which is great BTW) support 640x480 modes and OpenGL modes. The catch is that 640x480 software mode is slower than 320x240. DoomDC is a little slow anyway, but there is a solution to both problems.

The engine could be re-written to use the tile accelerator to render everything, but that takes a long time and a lot of effort. It could look great, and would run faster too. However, Doom was not designed for hardware/polygon rendering, so there are glitches and issues, but nothing too bad
Burana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Burana »

And I though DoomDC was great. Ok, I couldn't switch weapons and it is much more playable on PC but so what? I still had a great time chainsawing through those imps and grunts. Kudos to the Makers!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Oh yeah. Doom, and especially Doom II, is a riot. It's great fun to play, and so simple. It's even better on cooperative mode - more enemies, less ammo, the shouted conversations between you and your allies. I remember playing this for hours. Doom is a great game!
ColGraff
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Actually, I think doomdc is pretty damn cool

Post by ColGraff »

Call me crazy, but I really get a kick out of playing Doom on a big screen, washed-out textures or no. And it's really perfect for play with a gamepad - no mouselook, no real aiming, just look in the general direction and spray bullets. It's not TacOps, but it's a fine party game, and the DC port is really, really good. If you don't like it, then by all means write your own - but don't go trashing the work of people who do something you cannot or will not accomplish.
Marijuana is a gateway drug to more destructive vices, like dreamcast :-)
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

gotta love message boards

Post by otakonx »

ColGraff wrote: "If you don't like it, then by all means write your own - but don't go trashing the work of people who do something you cannot or will not accomplish."

Don?t tell me what to say or what not to say. If I think DCdoom isn't exactly what I expected then I'll say that. If you disagree fine, I could give 2 s#@!s, but fine. Don't start saying things you'll regret in the future. Besides I'm pretty sure you don?t know me and never will so how do you know what I've accomplished? Problem with these message boards is people can?t say their opinion w/o someone else burning them about it. All too often the person on their other end who?s doing to Burning is usually an 11 teen years old who has 2 hairs on his sack and talks like a girl. Or they're 30yrs old who've never gotten laid and have nothing better to do but b%$ch and nag at peoples opinions on F'in' message boards!!

-Side note- this is my opinion on how these message boards work. I normally leave these stupid flamers alone until they directly nag at me.

-Otakonx
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

gotta love message boards

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

otakonx wrote: ... All too often the person on their other end who?s doing to Burning is usually an 11 teen years old who has 2 hairs on his sack and talks like a girl.
:D Haha, yeah there are way to many of them, Otakonx!
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
IUG-13

hey, i love message boards

Post by IUG-13 »

otakonx wrote: Don?t tell me what to say or what not to say. If I think DCdoom isn't exactly what I expected then I'll say that. If you disagree fine, I could give 2 s#@!s, but fine. Don't start saying things you'll regret in the future. Besides I'm pretty sure you don?t know me and never will so how do you know what I've accomplished?
Well, if you have so many "accomplishments", why not make yourself a full speed Doom program for the DC with full screen and at 640 with a new image buffer? It's not fucking easy. You people come on here and demand respect after trashing a honored programmer? That does not work out here or real life.

That's like me saying to you:
"You suck, respect me." :evil:
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Well I think its cool he's got my respect (crt that is).

I remember when Doom first came out the best 3d game before it was I think Blake Stone. The detail was just amazing on it. Yea compared to modern games sure its not going to be as fancy.

If you don't like something that someone made for free (and yes DoomDC is free from the creator) then you should just keep quiet. Now if you want to complain about a pay emulator then I say go for that :)
otakonx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

here come the inbreds throwing their shit at me

Post by otakonx »

IUG wrote: Well, if you have so many "accomplishments", why not make yourself a full speed Doom program for the DC with full screen and at 640 with a new image buffer? It's not fucking easy. You people come on here and demand respect after trashing a honored programmer? That does not work out here or real life.

That's like me saying to you
"You suck, respect me." evil
When did I say DoomDc was crap?! When did I demand anything? You morons obviously miss understood my first post. I just wanted to know if it was possible to make the res higher. then all you inbreeded primates jump on me like I'm fresh meat. So, Get your facts right. "You people come in here and demand respect" - you know what this is stupid. This whole thing is dumb you're fighting with me over a message i wrote which had nothing to do with you. The whole scene has gone to hell and you people are the cause of it! Again, I never said anything BAD about DoomDC I just posted about the f#$%ing res. So get off my ass and nag to someone else.

-otakonx