DC Online Forum

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Should We Add a DC Online Forum?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 10
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Online Forum

Post by pHaDeD xP »

Hey ive been thinking about this for a long time, and if the idea has been suggested before then i apologize in advance if this has been asked before me. But i have a idea for the forums, to add a DC Online forum. Now i know probubly that some sites already have a forum like that (although i still dont know of one that does..) but i think that dcemulation should create one because we are open to all ventures of the DC and the option for some to take their DC online can be a daunting task, and therefore some people just dont even put in the effort and miss out on something great. I have vast knowledge in this area, and i will be MORE than happy to provide resources to this topic, and to write a tutorial, it will be very specific, and easy to comprehend, as well as include more advanced options or specifics for those of us more competent of this area. I would love to mod the forum but im not pushing it, because the most important thing to me is to have the forum up, and to give users to dcemulation yet another great resource. I am willing to contribute at least 2-4 hours per day of my own time to mod/contribute to the topic. This is no lie, i really would like to see dcemulation have this forum because there are a lot of people out there that are having trouble getting their DC online, and i beleive that it would expand the integrity of this forum far beyound what we could ever expect.

Again, if this has been offered before, im sorry for wasting your time, but i just think it would be a GREAT addition to the DcEmulation forums and i am willing to work and provide much of my time contributing to it.

respectfully,

-iSs pHaDeD
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

wow no replys yet... i thought people might actually be interested in the idea...
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

hmmm, i don't understand what you mean, if you mean to have a forum that you can go to with your dc then you already can, if you have your dc online im sure you can come here with it.
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

im talking about actually taking your dc online, its a solution for those whom have DSL/Broadband and want to take their DC online with it without having to buy a BBA for the DC. This way your lag is minimal, since your using broadband, and you can share the connections. Now common people i want to hear what you think. To get a better idea of what im actually talking about go to consolevision.com and check out their DC <-> PC Server guide and see what i mean. Its a great solution to taking your DC online, and you dont have to pay for extra Dial-Up. The only hardware required is a 56K Voice Modem, DSL/Cable/Other Broadband service, and a LAN card. THATS ALL. I got it up and running in under 20 min.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

We have the Dreamcast Discussion forum for that sort of thing.

Though we could use a sticky topic in there for setting up various online stuff.

And the list stating the online status of all Dreamcast games would be a help. People ask for that all the time.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

okay, if i write a comprehensive guide to bring your DC online, and list the status of most online games, as well as instructions for getting your DC online in 2000/XP (wich is a anally retentive process) then you would sticky it? because i would like to contribute, but i would like it to be stickied so it isnt forgotten, and those whom are new can find it easily...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Homebrew Apps might be a more appropriate place for this, what with our current DC browser adventures (and I guarantee that if you make it, it WILL be stickied).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

thats great.. im in the process of typing up the guide as we speak...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Will you be including pictures?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

yes, i will include actual screen shots of the process of setting up your PC for sharing your broadband with the DC, well at least for Windows ME/98, for 2000/XP, the pictures will have to wait, but i will have a written guide for it. I will also be more specific onm how to retrieve DNS numbers, and exactly where to find them in winipcgf, seeing as lots of people have problems with that, and setting up a NAT prog... And port mapping for PSO..
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Good, very good - just post it in HBA when you're done and I'll be sure to sticky it when I see it (that's if 138 or fatheadpi don't first).
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

great... expect it completed in a couple days :mrgreen:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

moved
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

i thought you were gonan ask for a forum to just take your Dreamcast online and post in, one of Curt's last gifts to this scene was a nice set of browser-compatible message boards, link's on every DP browser in Psilocybin Dreams.

If you write that guide soon enough, I'll put it into Psilocybin Dreams 1.0 Final itself, so when you download it the setup docs will already be there. This is something i was going to suggest to Az, because there are currently no realyl good docs on configing a DC to go online. If not, I'm sure Az and Kevin will put it into PSD 2.0.

BTW, have you downlaoded Psilocybin Dreams yet? I'd highly suggest it if you're interested in the DC Browser scene, link is in my sig now!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
pHaDeD xP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by pHaDeD xP »

im hard at work on it, ive compiled all the known guides, and have rewrote them and have fixed them, as well as added stuff that was not addressed in any of the guides. I will be finished with it by this monday at the latest, any paticular format? HTML?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

HTML will be fine, any side graphics should be html.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
brougham77
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by brougham77 »

I can't wait to see the guide! :D
LordNikon
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by LordNikon »

Well just 2 weeks ago i started just such a site specifically devoted to allowing dreamcast users to schedule online dreamcast gaming, and to allow discussions on dreamcast online games. Overly frustrated with a definative meeting place for DC online gamers, I started this website:

http://www.onlineconsoles.com

It covers Dreamcast, Gamecube and Playstation 2. Each site is completly seperate from the other. We could have merged the databases but that would have led to information bleeding across each site. Such as PS2 gamers being in the dreamcast site member list etc etc etc.

So check out the site. And let me know what you think. It just went live 2 weeks ago, so spread the word to those you know that game online with DC.

-lordnikon
http://www.onlineconsoles.com - online console gaming communities for the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Playstation 2