DreamSNES versus SNES Station

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
modestrabbit
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DreamSNES versus SNES Station

Post by modestrabbit »

After recently running DreamSNES for the first time, I am rather dissatisfied with the noticeable slowdown with all of the games that I play. If I stary using the SNES Station program on a Playstation 2, will I get any better results? Please respond only if you have had experience with both of these emulators.

PS: In case it matters, here are the specifications for the Playstation 2.

-Version 7 SCPH 39001
-Messiah 2 Pro Mod Chip v1.30[/quote][/u]
VR6
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by VR6 »

you will be a lot happier with snes station....much faster
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

I heard a lot of people say that they're both basically the same. Why won't you just play your SNES ROMs on your PC or just use a real SNES and wait for DreamSNES to get an improvement in speed.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

That would make much more sense playing snes roms on your pc considering there are snes to pc controllers out there basically making it almost like the real thing. Only difference it is on a pc instead of a tv and a console.
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

I have them on my PC as well, but you can't exactly just lounge smoking a bowl and play on your PC (Unless you have a really big monitor and a wireless controller). It's just not the same.
Sciounex
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Sciounex »

i didn't see a major or any difference in the two myself. some of the games i had actually played better on dreamsnes than on snes-station.
Me wrote: huh?, dewhat?, leave me alone! AHAHAHAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

I haven't tried Snes station but I'd rather play Dreamsnes. The speed's pretty much fine for me and I just love the Dreamcast. It feels more 'homey' to me.
Stinkin' little ps2... I hardly ever play mine. :lol:
dkoikadabra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dkoikadabra »

I don't think the PS2 version emulates a lot of the games full speed. I don't know for sure, as I do not own a PS2 or have one chipped, but that's what I've heard. Either way, just buy an XBox, chip it, and throw one of the SNES emulators on the HDD and play it. Full speed, no disc swapping. :)
Who reads that dumb text at the bottom of a post? Oh, I guess you do.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

SNES Station plays a lot more of the games at a playable speed. The genesis emulator for PS2 is good too.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

the SNES station is only very slightly faster... Dreamsnes whole setup is better IMO

By the way how can you be "dissatisfied" with speed? Can you code better? The people that are making it ARE DOING THIS FOR NOTHING!!
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

SNES Station should (in theory) be one-and-a-half times faster than DreamSNES, since the PS2's CPU is one-and-a-half times faster then the Dreamcast's. But it isn't. Which just goes to show how much work the DreamSNES team have done on DreamSnes, and how much faster DreamSnes runs than Snes9x.
ragnarok2040
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by ragnarok2040 »

I hear the latest beta's of Snes-Station is pretty-much fullspeed and has good compatibility, but I just read this on a board somewhere a few months ago.

In my experience, Dreamsnes runs more roms and can get fullspeed on some of them. Snes-station runs slightly faster, can get fullspeed on more roms than Dreamsnes can, but there are more bugs (like some type of memory leak when running a second rom, the game just gets slower and slower till it freezes).
Girospeck
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Girospeck »

dkoikadabra wrote:I don't think the PS2 version emulates a lot of the games full speed. I don't know for sure, as I do not own a PS2 or have one chipped, but that's what I've heard. Either way, just buy an XBox, chip it, and throw one of the SNES emulators on the HDD and play it. Full speed, no disc swapping. :)
would you need a mod chip in the xbox to do that? If not how do i do it? I dont want to mod because of XBL.

Also for the PS2 do you need a mod chip? how do i do that and where do i get it?
oblachubs
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by oblachubs »

Bottom line. SNES-Station is slow 70-80% at best. DreamSNES is a little faster and more playable 80-85%. Bothe are not 100%
mr. darkness
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by mr. darkness »

If you've got a chipped PS2 why don't you try it out and see for yourself?! :?
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I've had a chance to try and see Snes Station in action,and here's what I noticed:

Snes Station is A LOT faster,but A LOT BUGGIER :(
Just to note,Snes Station has ALL the graphical and sound improvements set to ON,so you're having:

48 kHz sound,
Sound interpolation,
Mode 7 interpolation,
Triple buffering,
and more.

And even with all this,games like Donkey Kong Country get constant 100% speed at 30 fps with everything set to highest quality.That's really good.

BUT,the emulator is VERY,VERY buggy,so DreamSNES is far better than Snes Station for now.

Snes Station has:

AWFUL sound skipping!
NTSC games perform A LOT worse that PAL ones,
No special chips supported,
Bad graphical glitches and sound errors in many games,due to the old Snes9x core used.
Much lower game compatibility,
Longer loading of ROMs,
It saves the config file to the Memory card every time you change options,and you can't change that,
All the improvements cannot be disabled,
No MP3 player built-in in which you can add your OWN tracks,
and much more bugs...

But the intro music is great,like something from the old production of Nakamichi :) YES!

Now you'll see that Dream SNES is MUCH more accurate.
Snes Station is only faster,and that's all.
KrazieTai
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KrazieTai »

SnesStation beta is like 95% speed now. Also DreamSnes is almost bug free when compared to SnesStation. DreamSnes wont ever be able to have as high quality of sound as Snessation.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

I don't think so. I think Dreamsnes will be the only 100% snes dreamcast emulator once its finished. As long as it sounds like a snes I wouldn't be complaining.
KrazieTai
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KrazieTai »

SchmuckofNI wrote:I don't think so. I think Dreamsnes will be the only 100% snes dreamcast emulator once its finished. As long as it sounds like a snes I wouldn't be complaining.
Thats the problem it doesnt sound like a snes.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

KrazieTai wrote:
SchmuckofNI wrote:I don't think so. I think Dreamsnes will be the only 100% snes dreamcast emulator once its finished. As long as it sounds like a snes I wouldn't be complaining.
Thats the problem it doesnt sound like a snes.
Last time I played something on dreamSNES it did...