1st and 3rd Party memory cards for Dreamcast Question

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

1st and 3rd Party memory cards for Dreamcast Question

Post by Chalavet »

I've got a question and I was wondering if anyone knows the answer. From what I have witnessed with the jumbo-sized memory cards (Sega's 4x, and the 8x one by Interact, it looks like that they split up the total memory to make it appear as if it was 4 or 8 different memory cards rather than a 800 block vmu or 1600 block vmu all together. Does anyone know if there is a memory card that doesn't make partitions in the memory like Interact and Sega but rather keep it altogether?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
Been thanked: 0

Post by Veggita2099 »

I think the ones that keep it all together compress the memory which leads to stability issues. It is a pain having to pusht hat button to pic which area of the memory card to use isn't it? I bought a Dragon 4 meg card and it does that I am constantly pushing that button trying to remember where my saves are.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I think the ones that keep it all together compress the memory which leads to stability issues. It is a pain having to pusht hat button to pic which area of the memory card to use isn't it? I bought a Dragon 4 meg card and it does that I am constantly pushing that button trying to remember where my saves are.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Does anyone know if the 200 block limit is fixed into the DC hardware?
I would think it possible to hack something like a compact flash card and use it for large storage on the DC, but if it is sectioned off into little 200 block pieces then what's the point?

Do the Japanese 4X SEGA cards show 800 blocks or 4x 200 blocks?
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

I wish someone would figure out this problem. I can't finish playing simpson's quake because it takes 255 blocks!
"Ya shouldn't a done that, he's just a boy. Poor little feller."

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

My reason for the question is that I am working on an adventure game for Dreamstud!o, and with the depth of the story so far simply in level design has cost me almost 350 blocks of space, and that doesn't even include text between characters, any in-game movies, or special effects. I was hoping to release it as one big release, but I guess it will have to be split up into chapters within the story where the chapters are pretty much certain areas within the game that also comprise a certain section of the story.