NEOGEO, etc.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DaAznCajun
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NEOGEO, etc.

Post by DaAznCajun »

Hey I'm a lil new here but I've been going around DCemulation.com and I noticed that there weren't any NeoGeo Emulators for the DC anywhere. As of right now, is it even possible for the NeoGeo or NeoGeo CD to be emulated on the DC? It'd be really cool if it was. I've got a bunch of roms waiting to be played on my DC. Oh yeah...I haven't exactly explored all of this board so sorry if I'm repeating something that'z already been said ^_^*
XenovipeR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XenovipeR »

I think it is possible to port NeoGeo CD to DC but not NeoGeo roms u download off the net ...

reason ... ?? DC dont have enough RAM to run them ... im pretty sure it is IMPOSSIBLE to run those NeoGeo arcade roms ... and theres no HD for DC to make cache for the rom ...

lets just hope they can work on NeoGeo CD version of emulator for DC ...but then again neogeo cd sux0r ... too much time wasted on loading the characters when u play Neogeo fighting games ..eg KOF
dreamcaster1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcaster1 »

dude i doubt neogeo cd emulation is possible i think the neogeo cd system has 8 megs of ram and 2 cpus its a 24 bit system it has a 16 bit cpu and a 8 bit cpu kinda like the genesis but the genesis used its 8 bit cpu for sound and master system backwards compatibility
rapigator
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

neo geo roms freeware?

Post by rapigator »

since snk went out of business isn't it legal to distribute their roms now? i downloaded metal slug games from fileplanet recently... hmmmm....
XenovipeR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XenovipeR »

yeh thats true ...
so that means we can encourage net cafe to put on Neogeo emualted games for LAN too :)

no need to go to the arcades for KOF anymore ~
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

No, it is NOT legal to distribute the ROMs.. copyright lasts for something like 20 years, it's illegal..

Anyways, you can play some small NeoGeo games in MAMED!

Baseball Stars and Windjammers are a couple of my faves ;)

Warning: SLOW!
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

No rapigator you little warez monkey, SNK have been reformed by the Korean company Brezzasoft.

And all of the Neo Geo copyrights have simply been passed on to them.

New Neo Geo hardware and software will make an appearence mid-late 2002.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Hollywood Hasney wrote: copyright lasts for something like 20 years
It's more like 75 years I think.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Actually the NEO GEO CD system had 56megs of RAM. Pretty insane for its release (of course, at the time it cost $500).

Specs:
Processor: Motorola 68000(12 Mhz), Zilog-80A(4 Mhz)
Resolution: 320x224
Color Palette: 65,536
Maximum Colors On-Screen: 4,096
Maximum Sprites On-Screen: 380
Minimum Sprite Size: 1x2
Maximum Sprite Size: 16x512
Maximum Planes: 3
Sound Channels: 15 (7-Digital,4-FM synthesis, 3-PSG,1-Noise channel)
Internal RAM: Work RAM: 56Mbits+64kbcache, Video RAM: 512Kb Z80 RAM: 2Kb
Cd-rom Drive: 1X (Cdz version has bigger/faster cache)
Save Memory: 56Mbits

-miah
The Kron_

Post by The Kron_ »

Miah

There are 8 bits to every byte.

When they say 56 Mbits they dont mean Megabytes

56 Megabits converts to 7 megabytes

7megs of Ram is a weird total though (Ive read differently somewhere else im sure)
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

BLAH. I overlooked that actually.

My apologies.

-miah
rapigator
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by rapigator »

ok so how exactly are the metal slug games as well as other neo geo games available on servers property of GameSpy?

"Some companies have released their games to the public domain or condoned not-for-profit distribution. An example of this is ROMs for the Vectrex. These are perfectly 100% legal, as long as they're not distributed for profit."

http//www.classicgaming.com/cgng/legal.shtml
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

And now that I start thinking about this. Why would writing a neogeo cd emu for dreamcast not work? From what I can see, the dreamcast has more than adequate hardware to do the emulation. What are the "real holdups"? a lot of people are saying this can't be done and I'd like to hear some technical reasons for why.

-miah
Yocke
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Yocke »

No holdups. Just that noone seems to be interested. Just like with the Genesis/Megadrive, Mega/Sega CD, 32 X... you name it.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

hrm... /me ponders..

-miah
Bad_CRC
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Bad_CRC »

some time ago I posted a site with a open source neo geo cd emu, it was for MSDOS and in C with some ASM code, sure that it can be ported.

btw I will ask to ElSemi (nebula & dreamer author) if tehoricaly DC will can handle a neo cd emu.
miah
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by miah »

Do you still have that URL.. A search here turns up nothing.

-miah
Bad_CRC
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Bad_CRC »

Schnapple
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Schnapple »

ok so how exactly are the metal slug games as well as other neo geo games available on servers property of GameSpy?
While it is entirely possible that whatever company has the copyrights could lay down the law on anyone hosting the ROM image, it's unlikely that will happen for the simple reason that it's not worth it. Sure, if they want to issue Metal Slug for the PS2 or something that's one thing but busting the balls of some minor site to take down Twinkle Star Sprites isn't worth the effort of the copyright successor. Having said that, Nintendo regularly shuts down NES ROM sites, though they never see a dime off that system anymore. If they let NES ROMs slip by but not SNES ROMs then it's seen as "one day SNES ROMs will be OK". Then when SNES but not N64 ROMs are OK, then "one day N64 ROMs will be OK". So how would you like to be the developer with a GameCube game knowing that one day Nintendo will take a lazy attitude towards illegal distribution of your game and the ROM kiddies will just hold on until then?
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Schnapple wrote: Having said that, Nintendo regularly shuts down NES ROM sites, though they never see a dime off that system anymore. If they let NES ROMs slip by but not SNES ROMs then it's seen as "one day SNES ROMs will be OK". Then when SNES but not N64 ROMs are OK, then "one day N64 ROMs will be OK". So how would you like to be the developer with a GameCube game knowing that one day Nintendo will take a lazy attitude towards illegal distribution of your game and the ROM kiddies will just hold on until then?
Also, both Sega and Nintendo frequently re release 'classic games' on new machines; DCs Smash Pack or either of the Mario Advances on GBA are good examples of this, so neither of them especially like "free" versions of their games floating around