Will you support Sega?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by U.S.MALE »

After all The Crap they've pulled. I won't.

I mean, they dropped Dreamcast when it was selling above expectations. Cancelled Shenmue 2 in the U.S. and are only making games for other systems. I was willing to live with all of that, because I still had some kickass games to play online.... but now the pay to play crap<!! NEVER!!!!!!

This was supposed to be in the compatability folder, sorry please don't move.
"Ya shouldn't a done that, he's just a boy. Poor little feller."

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Yes because I love Sega. They have made quality games and products and still continue to do so (well, games for the time being). I admit they they srewed a few things up (US and UK) but that doesn't make them a crappy company. I just feel they took the wrong approch with their previous consoles. I was really hoping that the DC would not ended up the way it is now before it even came out. Infact, if it weren't for the homebrew DC scene, the DC would have ended worse than the Saturn due to the fact that Sega killed off the system and not the competition.

I really wish the DC would have been the console of choice for the majority of consumers today because it has so many great games. The system died WAY to early in its life. Also, the cancellation of some games that were completed (Half Life) just kills it even more.

If Sega ever leaves from the video game industry, that will be a very cold and sad day.

BUT, recently I noticed that all DC have been sold out in every game store in my area. People were buying them because it was $50 plus a game (that is one F'N good deal). Those things sold out very quickly. They still carry DC games though. But like my friend says "Why couldn't these people have been that interested in the system like that a year ago? It would still be alive today."
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
Dr Wily

Sega Is Evil: Would You Ever buy another sega product?

Post by Dr Wily »

U.S.MALE wrote: This was supposed to be in the compatability folder, sorry please don't move.
Uh... well, as its not really related to either DreamSNES compatibility lists *OR* DreamSNES its gonna get moved regardless...

TOPIC MOVED to Dreamcast Discussion
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

People talk about Sony being evil due to the bleem!cast situation, but I guarantee if they had made the same thing to play dreamcast games on (and assumeing the dreamcast was still a popular system) they would have done the same thing. Sega is screwing everybody over on this site that enjoys emulation with the new non-cd-r dreamcasts. I guess I would still possibly buy sega games, but never another sega console (which I doubt there will be another one). But you never know they might surprise everybody with a new 64 bit handheld console, or a 256 bit gameing console that after a year dies cause most of the games end up sucking on it.

Sorry but Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft there all out for 1 thing MONEY and they will do what it takes to get that.

At least sony made the ps2 compatible with the ps1 stuff. IT is really nice being able to use the same controllers, hook-ups, and games. The Saturn wouldn't play Sega CD games, the Dreamcast wouldn't play Saturn or Sega CD games. MAybe it was the programming I don't know, but Sony was able to do it? Oh and I also like the DVD playback on the ps2 since we didn't have a DVD player in the downstairs family room. Sadly enough the ps2 has better playback then the apex 3 disc changers upstairs...
Chalavet
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Chalavet »

Sega rules. Pure and simple. They a far greater number of quality game series than Nintendo and Sony combined. The only problem was that Sega was out of the game for far too long between the Saturn and the Dreamcast. If you look at the life of a good selling console, new or old, you still have games comming out on your old console when the new console finally comes out. Sega did this between the Genesis and the Saturn transition just like Nintendo and Sony has done for their respective consoles. People forgot about Sega, Nintendo grabbed the kiddie niche, and Sony just plowed through with phenomenal marketing. Regardless if the games are superior on the Dreamcast, the PS1 still sold really well just because everyone knows Sony.

The only reason why the Dreamcast sold well in its last days was because it was rediculously cheap. However, it is only good business for Sega to do what it did. Did it hurt? Heck ya! Would I love to have Half Life on the Dreamcast? You better believe it, but sadly there were too many publishers playing it safe. I truly think if the publishers would have programmed for more online support (even if you had to pay), it would have sold. Think of all of the games that could have but didn't...Soldier of Fortune, Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, Kiss Psycho Circus, Railroad Tycoon 2, not to mention if Capcom would have atleast brought For Matching Service in the states. However, the only thing I can say is I am thankful for Sega of Europe. I've got Shenmue 2, Head Hunter, and I will get Rez, and Space Channel 5 part 2.

Go Sega!!!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

U.S.MALE wrote: I mean, they dropped Dreamcast when it was selling above expectations. Cancelled Shenmue 2 in the U.S. and are only making games for other systems. I was willing to live with all of that, because I still had some kickass games to play online.... but now the pay to play crap<!! NEVER!!!!!!
above expectations? are you insane?

When they launched DC they expected to have sold 7 million units in the US by March 2001

When March 2001 came around they only sold 3 million, not even half.

Bottom line, dont start an uproar on a DC site when you dont have your facts straight
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I love Sega games and would not hesitate in buying a new Sega system, despite being screwed by them with the Saturn & DC.

It is remarkable to think that due to the internal politics between SoA & SoJ in 1994/1995 the company has self destructed. They have made one bad decision after another, but I really thought they had turned the corner with the release of the DC (they had learned from their mistakes with the Saturn), but alas the good name of Sega had been sullied and the gaming public at large was not prepared to forgive them.

It was a truely sad day for me on Monday as I saw a Sega game (Chu Chu rocket) for sale on Nintendo's GBA, I never thought I would live to see the day :roll:
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
U.S.MALE wrote: I mean, they dropped Dreamcast when it was selling above expectations. Cancelled Shenmue 2 in the U.S. and are only making games for other systems. I was willing to live with all of that, because I still had some kickass games to play online.... but now the pay to play crap<!! NEVER!!!!!!
above expectations? are you insane?

When they launched DC they expected to have sold 7 million units in the US by March 2001

When March 2001 came around they only sold 3 million, not even half.

Bottom line, dont start an uproar on a DC site when you dont have your facts straight
No, no, no. I'm talking about when sega announced they were giving DC the ax. Don't make me find the darn magazine it was in, DC units and ONLINE games were selling like hot cakes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY DREAMCAST. SEGA, it's creator, is the one who took a royal shyte on US. I'm not tryin' to encite a riot here people, I was just wondering.

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

IF Sega had the balls to make another platform, and IF they sold it at the right price, and IF they got behind it and put out good games AND dev kits for all to use, I would gladly buy another Sega console. I have owned a sega genesis with the 32x, i still have my saturn, and i will always have my dc, i will probably never buy another console tho. Sega marketed real games to real people. You didn't have to be a video game addict to get into sega games. You had sports games that were amazing, games that were just insanely fun, and killer driving games (crazy taxy uno and rush). I wish virtua cop would've come to the saturn, and it would be nice to see some controller adapters.

Aslo, I think Sega should make an uber console. It should be a modded dc with saturn, sega cd, bootable cd, and s/vcd support and like i dunno dual processors and an assload of ram. And like those guitars that are like... double guitars.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
oneate7
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by oneate7 »

I'm going with yes. Sure they dropped the dreamcast, but can you blame them? I mean...noone was buying anything anymore...kinda makes you sad :(. Either way, Sega still r0x y0ur s0x :D
what? it worked?! LEMME TRY IT!
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

This is really surprising me. I mean I thought it would be a landslide the other way. Maybe y'alls love for the DreamCast is blinding you to the fact that Sega IS THE DEVIL!!!!! :) LOL

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

This is really surprising me. I mean I thought it would be a landslide the other way.
Durrrr, this is a dreamcast site, a lot of people here like their Dreamcasts, ergo they like Sega for bringing it to us.

It's shortsighted of you to think of Sega dropping support for the Dreamcast as them screwing us over.. fact is, the Dreamcast didn't sell well (of course they were selling well after they were slashed to $50, but people who buy $50 game systems generally aren't willing to buy $50 games, just cheap clearance stuff). They were losing massive amounts of money, and if they didn't change their strategy to start making money, there wouldn't be a Sega to make Dreamcast games or any other.

So now, they're still there, but there just making games. And in the end, it's not the consoles that really matter, it's the games.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Na...Sega isn't the devil. Sega's like an old friend. I've enjoyed every Sega console since the master system. Save the 32X, Sega has always made high quality products...products that have given me hours of enjoyment. Every penny I've ever spent on a Sega system (not including 32X) has been worth it. Yes...even the whoppin' $400 I spent on my Saturn. Sure, Sega's made mistakes, but the hours of enjoyment I've extracted from their products supercedes the disappointments. Yeah...Sega's an old friend...and it's just not cool to abandon your friends...even if they do make mistakes.
leatherface1974
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by leatherface1974 »

Although I never owned the 32x, the only other time I feel I was burned by Sega was with the Sega CD. Sure it was pretty revolutionary at the time, but come on, how many fmv games can one stand? I still own my Genesis, and I love to play it on occasion. I (actually my wife)purchased a Dreamcast for me when the price dropped to $99, and I thought that it was a TOTAL steal. I love the Dreamcast, I feel its an incredible system with many 5 star titles, and it pains me that Sega pulled the plug. However, I am a hardcore gamer at heart (as I think we all are) and if Sega were to release another console, I would have to pick it up....and pray that this time it has the successful run that the Genesis had.
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

Heliophobe wrote:
This is really surprising me. I mean I thought it would be a landslide the other way.
Durrrr, this is a dreamcast site, a lot of people here like their Dreamcasts, ergo they like Sega for bringing it to us.

It's shortsighted of you to think of Sega dropping support for the Dreamcast as them screwing us over.. fact is, the Dreamcast didn't sell well (of course they were selling well after they were slashed to $50, but people who buy $50 game systems generally aren't willing to buy $50 games, just cheap clearance stuff). They were losing massive amounts of money, and if they didn't change their strategy to start making money, there wouldn't be a Sega to make Dreamcast games or any other.

So now, they're still there, but there just making games. And in the end, it's not the consoles that really matter, it's the games.
fact is, the Dreamcast didn't sell well (of course they were selling well after they were slashed to $50, but people who buy $50 game systems generally NO NO NO, when Sega announced that they were gonna kill the DC, it was selling well at about $179.00. I LOVE my DC, but sega IS THE DEVIL!

"Charlie don't surf!!!"
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

I don't recall exactly but I know the DC's were down to at least $149 if not $99 when the axe fell on the Dreamcast. I seem to recall the base price for a Dreamcast was $149.99 when I got mine in October 2000.

Regardless, what difference does it make what the price of the DC was when they discontinued it?

You might have read in a magazine that the DC was doing well, but that's not exactly a reliable source. What is a reliable source is the public disclosures of profits and losses that Sega is required to release to do business as a public company. They've been losing money by the boatloads on the Dreamcast and SegaNet.

They made some bad gambles, and had the good sense at least to pull their nards out of the fire before they completely went under. How is that evil?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I think Sega of Japan is a big limey douchbag. Bailing out aside, I think they screwed themselves with their crappy business planning. If they had any brains at all, they would have had the sega net service out from the get-go, and made the dc play saturn titles. Online play should have been out from day one. Sega should be an american run company, not the beurocracy that i've seen and heard of from such movies as "Sega of Japan: we're limey douchbags" and "Sega of Japan: Screw the rest of the world, we'll not advertise out products, blame our demise on someone else, and only sell our products in Japan"

Long story short, Peter Moore should be the head of all of sega.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

And whats with the 32x bashing? That thing ruled. I loved doom32x, knucles chaotix, star wars arcade, and metal head.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

fatheadpi wrote: I think Sega of Japan is a big limey douchbag. Bailing out aside, I think they screwed themselves with their crappy business planning. If they had any brains at all, they would have had the sega net service out from the get-go, and made the dc play saturn titles. Online play should have been out from day one. Sega should be an american run company, not the beurocracy that i've seen and heard of from such movies as "Sega of Japan: we're limey douchbags" and "Sega of Japan: Screw the rest of the world, we'll not advertise out products, blame our demise on someone else, and only sell our products in Japan"

Long story short, Peter Moore should be the head of all of sega.
Amen.

I think the main reason for the DC's demise was that they had NO advertising after Spring 2000.... besides for Shenmue and JGR...
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
U.S.MALE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U.S.MALE »

then they didn't bring shenmue 2 to the U.S. and I had to go through all the trouble converting my U.S. cleared game save to a European I'm a peein' everyone's a peein' file. Damn them to hell.

"Charlie don't surf!!!"