MY system16 emu for DC has been warezEd

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

If this emulator is selled with or without roms than thats the lowest thing you can do. It's even worse than stealing because the author did it all in his free time and don't ask any money for it. Another just profit from his work and trust. :evil:

But I can slighty can understand if they offer the emu with roms on a site. Still illegal and not good, but for people who can't find the roms or can't make such disks a solution. And I don't think you can be mad about that Reaper? You helped me and a lot of other people back in the time with the Atari 5200 remember?
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Xylene wrote:I believe a version of Utopia has a thing about if you bought it you were ripped off too.
No it doesn't :?

DreamSNES does.....
actually utopia does to then, like i said

http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/Utopia.htm

reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

was just a shock and the admin of the site talked to me on msn saying he was going to sell it to

oh well
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

reaper2k2, rerelease beta 2 as beta 3 and don't even update anything, just to make everyone redownload it, and create a screen that says "If you paid for this System 16 emulator, you were cheated. This System 16 emulator is free to download from the web sites shown below. If you downloaded this emulator with ROM images packaged together, you are using an modified version and it is unsupported by RADsoft.

For a correct, original copy, download it from RADsoft, DCEmulation, Consolevision, or boob!."

and provide links to all of the sites.

Providing ROMs with emulators is an absolute disgrace to the emulator authors.
It's thinking...
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Where are they selling it? I don't see any on eBay. If they're selling it on their website, I doubt that it would be selling well because how many would trust a warez sitethat is selling illegal software?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Xylene wrote: Image
Thats a version of Utopia I have never even seen before :o
reaper2k2 wrote:was just a shock and the admin of the site talked to me on msn saying he was going to sell it to
You should stop talking to Cless on MSN then.... :P
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

LOL nar

hee i find that funny dont know why but i do LMAO!

Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Give us the guys e-mail, we'll spam him like hell
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Prophet][ - Good plan :roll:

Actually, if he's that much of a [insert favourite expletive here], then he deserves it.
|darc| wrote:Providing ROMs with emulators is an absolute disgrace to the emulator authors.
I agree with that. Abusing someone's work like that is one of the lowest things you can do.

Reaper - If you want, I can give you some code to make sure that the PNG files can not be changed at all, so that if even one byte is changed the program will complain, or just not work, like DreamSnes does. Then nobody can remove all those disclaimers you want to put on there.

I can (theoretically) think of one way you can make sure nobody can sell the discs - you make the program only work on a specific DC, by reading it's serial number (or something) out of the flash chip, and only booting if it's valid. That way, any discs sold, or images from a warez site, would be useless.

Of course, that'd make it nearly impossible to work out how to burn, and it'd also stop distribution of image files and SBI packages. And that probably wouldn't stop people from selling them - the little fact that it doesn't work means nothing. Not a good idea, really.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

BlackAura wrote:Prophet][ - Good plan :roll:

Actually, if he's that much of a [insert favourite expletive here], then he deserves it.
|darc| wrote:Providing ROMs with emulators is an absolute disgrace to the emulator authors.
I agree with that. Abusing someone's work like that is one of the lowest things you can do.

Reaper - If you want, I can give you some code to make sure that the PNG files can not be changed at all, so that if even one byte is changed the program will complain, or just not work, like DreamSnes does. Then nobody can remove all those disclaimers you want to put on there.

I can (theoretically) think of one way you can make sure nobody can sell the discs - you make the program only work on a specific DC, by reading it's serial number (or something) out of the flash chip, and only booting if it's valid. That way, any discs sold, or images from a warez site, would be useless.

Of course, that'd make it nearly impossible to work out how to burn, and it'd also stop distribution of image files and SBI packages. And that probably wouldn't stop people from selling them - the little fact that it doesn't work means nothing. Not a good idea, really.
I'd definatly go with the code to stop the PNG files being altered.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

BlackAura wrote:I can (theoretically) think of one way you can make sure nobody can sell the discs - you make the program only work on a specific DC, by reading it's serial number (or something) out of the flash chip, and only booting if it's valid. That way, any discs sold, or images from a warez site, would be useless.
:o is that technically possible BlackAura? That is a cool possibility, when an author wants to betatest something for only betatesters he can use this method. Come to think about it, wasn't HairBuddah (Blur) trying to do that...
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

BlackAura, could such an applictation to figure out the serial of the dc look like the following screenshot:

http://geocities.com/hyper_gamer13/blur ... ing_01.jpg (GeoCities, so copy+paste).
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Yeah, but you see ours would work and not crash the minute it tries to execute something other than a printf.
No signature.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Xylene wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
Xylene wrote:I believe a version of Utopia has a thing about if you bought it you were ripped off too.
No it doesn't :?

DreamSNES does.....
actually utopia does to then, like i said

http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/Utopia.htm

You sure that one is made by Utopia ? I've never seen it and it says at the bottom 'Credits : Utopia' instead of like By utopia...Seems more like they're saying thanks...
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Captain Skyhawk - Yeah, probably. Except you could pop it up on the screen, so you wouldn't need a cable / BBA to do it.
BornStupid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by BornStupid »

reaper2k2 wrote:
thanks perry2175

siad nicely dude!

NP Brother.

yeah Like One Thirty said you should do that...but like, I tihnk it was DreamSnes that had 'If you paid for this emulator then you were cheated, it is free'. Something like that.
WTF, so when someone flames you they're rude and immature, but when you start calling me an idiot (implying it obviously) especially when I STATE that's my POV, you feel it's ok?
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Reaper, not to make you angrier than you already are... but your emulator will sooner or later show up in Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe...

and yes, it will be sold. It will be sold with as many roms as they can fit on a CD...

The Asian piracy cartels, the Yakuza (Japanese Mob), the Russian and Korean-Mexican mob are all to blame.

As usual, the developer does it for non-profit motives, but the piracy cartels will make a nice profit from it.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

mariobro wrote:Reaper, not to make you angrier than you already are... but your emulator will sooner or later show up in Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe...

and yes, it will be sold. It will be sold with as many roms as they can fit on a CD...

The Asian piracy cartels, the Yakuza (Japanese Mob), the Russian and Korean-Mexican mob are all to blame.

As usual, the developer does it for non-profit motives, but the piracy cartels will make a nice profit from it.
Yea posibly true, but wouldn't it of been better if the seller wasn't telling him about it and being a d.ick about it
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by reaper2k2 »

OH well shows over 800 hits today supose there looking for the warez version

ive hit 10.000 hits 800 hits a day at the moment soon as it was on some warez sites my hits went up

s700pid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by s700pid »

Ahh the Utopia boot disk version 1.2 is supposed to have VGA box support. I can say that the VGA box support doesn't work, well not for me. Like the other Utopia boot disk hardly worth the CD it's burnt on IMO.
Stupid is as Stupid posts