More and more dumb stuff in newer Video Games

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

More and more dumb stuff in newer Video Games

Post by Veggita2099 »

Is it just me or is game developers adding more and more unrelated crap to there games. You know things like you have to hurry up and do something before a timer runs out, race so and so to get a item, etc. Good examples is all these little BS things you have to do throughout Star Fox Adventures. Also JSRF has these stupid Race so and so to win, or mimic my every moves to go on.

StarFox Adventures has perfect Adventure game gameplay, but then all of a sudden you have to jump on speeders and race dinosaurs for one reason or another. If its not that, your trying to carry a bomb up a spiral ramp with endless barrels coming at you. Or you have to run through a hard to navigate area while being timed for some test., etc etc.

I could actually enjoy JSRF all the way through if it wasn't for the fact every time you complete a stage you have to race someone from 1 point to another. If your not racing someone then you have to mimic a someones every move to complete the level. I mean I am only on the 3rd stage and the races are to the point where you make 1 wrong move and you might as well just turn it off, cause you can't win cause of that 1 error.

It don't bother me so much when this type of crap is optional, or at least fairly easy (such as the chocoba race in FF7, or the lava race in Conkers Bad FurDay). But every time I get to crap like this I either get stuck for days, or just say F*ck it and either sell the game or take it back. I know they add this stuff to try and keep it from getting boreing, but when it gets to the point where the mini-games (or whatever you call this stuff) is 10X harder then the game itself, where is the enjoyment?
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

you are a sick individual. you cry when games are to hard. thats the point to challenge us. i hate games that are to easy, like ffx.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Dbztrunks1020
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Dbztrunks1020 »

AmadeusZull wrote:you are a sick individual. you cry when games are to hard. thats the point to challenge us. i hate games that are to easy, like ffx.
I second the motion
0newinged
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by 0newinged »

I don't think he means it's too much of a challenge, just that it's redundant 'filler' that sometimes drags the game on forever, which makes it sort of boring and you don't have the ambition to clear it. At least that's how I feel with some of those games.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Tripwave wrote:I don't think he means it's too much of a challenge, just that it's redundant 'filler' that sometimes drags the game on forever, which makes it sort of boring and you don't have the ambition to clear it. At least that's how I feel with some of those games.
That is exactly what I mean, well sorta. Oh and I hardly think it makes a person a SICK individual for feeling that way.

What I am saying is when I buy a adventure game I don't want to have to deal with difficult racing parts. I want a challengeing ADVENTURE game. IF I wanted to play racing game ID buy a racing game. I used to like how Sierra Adventure games had a option to skip those mini games if you didn't want to play them.

And considering FFX was a top selling title I don't think it being Too easy hurt it none. I have to admit it was TOO easy when you got the epic weapons and/or hidden aeons. Yea I know it was the Brainwashed zombies that made it a top selling game, right?

But still if a game is too difficult then no I won't play it. If you want to call me a pussy, sick person, baby, etc go ahead. I don't have to prove myself to anybody by being a nerd who can kick ass at video games. I would have never taken the time to beat Mario Sunshine if it wasn't for the fact my friend left it at my house. Its not always so much that I CAN'T its just I don't like playing the same thing 10 times to complete it. I mean what the hell, what makes me such a terrible sick person for likeing a more relaxing game.

And there has been statistics that show there ARE more casual gamers out there then Hardcore gamers. I know its hard to beleive that since most gamers at this site are hardcore. Most of your Casual gamers lost interest in the DC the day it was discontinued. Heck most of them have no idea you can play emulated games on it.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm I remember collecting numerous coins in mario, and tons of rings in sonics, and bannanas in donky kong country.
Dbztrunks1020
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Dbztrunks1020 »

Those were the days
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: More and more dumb stuff in newer Video Games

Post by |darc| »

Veggita2099 wrote:I could actually enjoy JSRF all the way through if it wasn't for the fact every time you complete a stage you have to race someone from 1 point to another. If your not racing someone then you have to mimic a someones every move to complete the level. I mean I am only on the 3rd stage and the races are to the point where you make 1 wrong move and you might as well just turn it off, cause you can't win cause of that 1 error.
Dude.. the racing has to do with the game. If you beat the other person you can be accepted by him and he will join you. I don't understand how you think that's unrelated to the game.
It's thinking...
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

well i can agree in someways... but my biggest gripe is that the 2D gamers have been ignored since the 128 bit revolution.... yeah there has been 2D fighters.....but where is the rest, just because a game isn't 3D doesn't mean its no good....

as far as pointless stuff the choa part of sonic adv 1&2 annoyes me to death...
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Sir Slash wrote:well i can agree in someways... but my biggest gripe is that the 2D gamers have been ignored since the 128 bit revolution.... yeah there has been 2D fighters.....but where is the rest, just because a game isn't 3D doesn't mean its no good....

yeah now every game is the same 3d crap,same exact layouts with almost no varience in content,well um,actually just the content is different.

the engine remains the same though
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

i cant stand those "find three emeralds" in a huge arena in sa2
i think sa1 has it too.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Sir Slash wrote:well i can agree in someways... but my biggest gripe is that the 2D gamers have been ignored since the 128 bit revolution.... yeah there has been 2D fighters.....but where is the rest, just because a game isn't 3D doesn't mean its no good....

The chao area's are optional at least, they don't force you to fool with them if you don't want to.

I guess in JSRF the racing might be related, but that don't mean a person has to like it. The rest of the game is running around town covering up poisoned artwork (or something like that), or covering the police up. That part is ok. Oh well as I said before its a ok game, but I would have never paid anything for it if it wasn't free with the system. Still might talk my cousin into tradeing it for Halo since he finished halo a long time ago.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Well anyway, I think it's more that you've grown up and can actually recognize how these side games are very useless vs. when you were young and couldn't realize it.
It's thinking...
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Erm, all of that stuff is sometimes a welcome change... breaking the monotony of playing the same style of levels over and over and over again.

Sure, sometimes they suck, but sometimes they also rock! (E.G. 007 Nightfire's Car levels) They make the game more interesting, and give a spin on the genre, isntead of being same old same old.

Besides, I liked JSRF's Races... They are good training, plus good fun.

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

maybe i'll play JSRF soon, i got it, and only played it once.

hmm maybe i can trade someone something for my JSRF/Sega GT 2002 disc
SuperRoy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SuperRoy »

Dbztrunks1020 wrote:I second the motion
...to stop the commotion.
I've got a notion, back back back backwards motion.
--SuperRoy
[ Author:: Linux GameDev Articles ]
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

|darc| wrote:Well anyway, I think it's more that you've grown up and can actually recognize how these side games are very useless vs. when you were young and couldn't realize it.
You might be on to something there. Who says ignorance isn't bliss?
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Veggita2099 wrote: ...when I buy a adventure game I don't want to have to deal with difficult racing parts. I want a challengeing ADVENTURE game. IF I wanted to play racing game ID buy a racing game.
I agree 100%. Variety is nice, but sometimes it feels like developers throw stuff in that they *think* will break the monotony, but more times than not, it makes the game a chore to play. Nightfire was a good example. I didn't mind the driving parts, but I would much rather have had FPS levels in the place of the driving levels. Instead of trying to make the game less monotonous by adding mini games, developers should spend that time making the main game less monotonous so the mini games wouldn't be needed.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Vlad Tepes wrote:Nightfire was a good example. I didn't mind the driving parts, but I would much rather have had FPS levels in the place of the driving levels. Instead of trying to make the game less monotonous by adding mini games, developers should spend that time making the main game less monotonous so the mini games wouldn't be needed.
The driving sections weren't meant to be mini-games or little challenges - they were meant to be a core part of the game. The developers split it into three sections:

1. First-person shooting
2. Driving
3. Gun-Control, shooting from tanks etc.

You could always pick up the PC version, which replaced all of the gun-control and driving levels with different FPS levels.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!