Wolf3d on dreamcast opinions?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bonecrusher
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wolf3d on dreamcast opinions?

Post by bonecrusher »

Well other then the menus scrambling up after every time you switch to something and the controls working for about 2 seconds
i wouldnt recomend wasting any more cdrs on this thing right now
it works and i only got the shareware version working
so wait till the next release because youll be struggling to play the game even with a keyboard

so wait for the next release
other then that the game is a little bit jumpy but looks perfect
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

The problem with the controls is that it gets confused when you press more than one direction at once (i.e a diagonal movement). If you move the pad up and to the right, for instance, and then center the pad, it will still think you have the pad pressed to the right, or think it's still pressed up. So you'll have to tap it again in the direction it thinks you're stuck in to cancel it out.

I also don't think you can use the buttons and the pad together at the same time.

So, yeah, I wouldn't burn this if you really want to play Wolf3d, but it shows it's very close to being playable. Also, the game defaults to a smaller screen size with a brick border around the game area (as first person shooters used to do to let you increase frame rate). Going into the screen options and maximizing the display area will not slow down the frame rate, so I'd recommend doing it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Getting rid of the word jumble and the control bug and you've got a solid release of Wolf3D. Note to anyone: It's not worth trying to selfboot it, just use the image because you're NOT going to be playing it for long.

Excellent work anyhow.
It's thinking...
biohazard
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

yep

Post by biohazard »

Yeah, crt0 did a great job, but wait for the next release everyone. I wasted 7 discs on this thing trying to selfboot it, then finding out that my WL6 files won't work with it, so then I ended up burning the shareware image, only to be disappointed by the controls. If the controls are fixed for the next version, this will be an awesome port.
bonecrusher
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by bonecrusher »

get the controls working and i dont care about anything else