Nice Cases, you think??

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nice Cases, you think??

Post by mkjones »

Saw some old Saturn games down at my local game shop, all i could think other than "wish i had got one all those years ago" was "what nice cases"

there kinda like DVD cases we have today, and i dont know what the US and JAP game cases for the DC were like but here in the UK they were just terrible!

they break at the connections and are so hard to open, why did they get it right with the Saturn cases and then go for this frankly cheep PS1 imitation style...

anyway, its making me wanna start desinging all new DVD covers and gettin them in some new boxes, dont worry i will share my covers in the main site....

will anyone reply to the frankly so-off-topic post it hurts???
Dust on the Dreamcast
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

i know exactly what you mean about the DC cases, they are horrible.

heh Sonic adventure 2 has been in my dreamcast for the last 5 months and i haven't touched it since.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I completely agree with you. The PAL cases looked ok but they were completely useless. Firstly, I think you would have to use special tongs and some velvet gloves to prevent them from breaking. Secondly, they didn't really fit anywhere as the boxes were twice as thick as normal cd cases. I think this was due to the fact that the PAL manuals had to have about 6 different languages in them so they were very thick.

I was lucky enough to buy about 9 chu chu rockets for 50p each a long time ago which gave me some spare cases to break.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

The saturn cases are taller than DVD cases and so don't fit in DVD racks whihc is very annoying, and also some of them are the width of video cases do it means they are annoying to store like loads of other games cases
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

What do the PAL DC cases look like? Here in the U.S., they're identical to CD cases.
theultimatechuff
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by theultimatechuff »

About twice the thickness with blue plasticky bits on the edges.
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

yeah the UK ones where a bit weird looking...i have shenmue II and the case is very strange, i prefer the North amercian cd jewel cases...the jp ones are very thick jewel cases...i have marvel vs capcom 2 jp
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

The American one's were basically average CD cases...These feckin PAL ones should have never amde it into the public..they look good....Though I tihnk I have about 2 which aren't broken...that's after buying replacement cases... :roll:
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

I see, its the PAL cases that are the pains in the arses! I wonder where they got the idea from?

Basilcaly they are like PS1 game cases but thicker (i think) and very weak at the edges... they all break...!! probably cos they are so hard to get open...

I didnt know that they were regular Jewel cases in the US, thats strange? how did some of the massive manuals fit in??
Dust on the Dreamcast
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

PAL Cases eBay examples:

Thats it :-)
Dust on the Dreamcast
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

I actually kind of like the PAL Shenmue 2 case. It seems easy enough to open and even sturdy to me, other than the hinges. But then again, I keep most of my games in a huge CD wallet, and the cases and manuals in a closet, so...

I hate those old cases used for Saturn and older playstation games. The size of a a fricken VHS tape, and even more fragile than a jewel case, if that's possible... Not a good combination.

I think the new plastic DVD 'keep cases' are good storage for games, as long as it has a good spindle clipping mechanism. There are a bazillion different clip designs. My favorite is the 'triangle' type, popular on DVD two-disk hinged inserts.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

mkjones wrote:
I didnt know that they were regular Jewel cases in the US, thats strange? how did some of the massive manuals fit in??
well almost any manuel is the same size as music cd ones... very thin and small... they are also mono language so that coulod be why as well.

I do think the Saturn ones broke to easy...DVD cases are better and should have been released years ago...they are durable...
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

US Playstation and Dreamcast game cases are exactly like a music CD case.

Games with more than one CD use 2 CD case backs with a black plastic spacer, and are very sturdy.
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
Ghaleon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ghaleon »

Actually, the Saturn cases weren't cheap PSX ripoff cases, they were in the same style as the Sega CD cases that came out over here. Also, I believe the Saturn was released before the PSX. Either way, many people considered them bulky at the time, and Sony listened before Sega did. It was merely for storage purposes, as production costs wouldn't really be affected.
Chaniyth
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Chaniyth »

Actually, the Saturn cases were used because Sega overly mass produced countless amounts of Sega CD cases. when Sega CD "died" and Saturn was about to release, instead of throwing the cases away, Sega got smart and used them. :)
All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

kubyx wrote:Actually, the Saturn cases were used because Sega overly mass produced countless amounts of Sega CD cases. when Sega CD "died" and Saturn was about to release, instead of throwing the cases away, Sega got smart and used them. :)
clever, and cheap, people these sega people.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
mkjones
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mkjones »

I now see that SEGA cases are different all over the world, there could be a whole website dedicated to it, or even a calender,

DECEMBER: French Case for 'Silent Scope'

ohhh, i can see it now :-)

Wonder why the US ones were all just like regular CD cases and the rest of the world went and made 'bigger' ones that broke... and when they did you couldnt get a replacement...
Dust on the Dreamcast
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I had one intace PAL Dreamcast case, but that broke too. A couple of them actually broke the first time I opened them. Truly useless.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

BlackAura wrote:I had one intace PAL Dreamcast case, but that broke too. A couple of them actually broke the first time I opened them. Truly useless.
Most of my cases are intact, and they're all PAL... I think I have 4 broken out of about 20 games :P