US Flag Laws

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by az_bont »

ninja wrote:The only place you can really smoke anymore is in your car, in your house, and outside. Very few restaurants let you smoke, very few nightclubs, NO AIRLINES, etc....
If people dont like being around smoke, then they can either move or go away. Its that simple.
So you think that because you want to pollute the surroundings, others should move away and not you? If you want to damage your lungs it's no skin off my nose - just don't inflict your filthy habits on the rest of us (I'm talking generally, we'll almost certainly never be in the same room together).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

theres 2 sections in a restuarant, smoking and non. The same can be done for almost everywhere.

As an adult human being, I assert that I have, among others, the following rights.

I have the right to smoke anywhere I wish on my own property.
I have the right to allow others to smoke on my property, regardless of whether that property is a private dwelling or a business premises.
I have the right to smoke on any other person's property if they choose to allow me to do so.
I have the right to smoke anywhere outdoors on public land unless doing so constitutes an unusual hazard.
I have the right to buy any tobacco product of my choosing from anyone willing to sell it to me.
I have the right to selectively waive any of the above rights out of consideration for others or for any other reason I see fit.
I have the right to not have money taken from me against my will, by government or any other organisation, to spend on persuading me not to smoke. This includes both income and expenditure taxes.
I shall do whatever I can short of physical violence to defend these rights for myself and others. All but the sixth have been challenged by the antismoking community and are partially or wholly denied in some parts of the world. This must and will change.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

fatheadpi wrote:Snylor, you whore, you sound like one of those dumbass truth commercials. You know, the ones that present little truth, much propaganda, and more wasted money that could have been spent on a worthwhile cause.

Sure there's a lot of nasty stuff in smokes. You'd be surprised what shows up in meat too. That's the reason why a lot of people roll their own smokes and hunt their own game. That and the fact that good meet is 2 bucks a pound and smokes are 24 a friggin carton.

If you want to whine about smoking and second hand smoke, here's my solution: Don't smoke, and step out of the room when someone does smoke. Leave those who choose to smoke the hell alone. You've got your no-smoking sections, no-smoking airlines and federal buildings, and no-smoking in nightclubs laws (which, I may add, is absolutely bogus and a gross invasion of personal freedom on the part of nightclub and bar owners), so be happy.

Reminds me of the commercial with the little girl saying how second hand smoke goes into her lungs, giving her asthma and scaring her. I say good, if it gets her off of my teevee that much sooner, then tell her to breath deeply, because I miss Joe Camel.

And in case you're wondering, I come from a long line of smokers. I've never smoked a cigarette or cigar in my life. I've never even smoked a joint (plenty of second hand highs tho!). I know all the evils of second hand smoke and smoking. I choose not to smoke, and also to not infringe on my friends rights to smoke. That's their call, not mine.
Are you so sure that your friends dont have a problem infringing on your rights though? :wink:
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

fatheadpi wrote:Snylor, you whore, you sound like one of those dumbass truth commercials. You know, the ones that present little truth, much propaganda, and more wasted money that could have been spent on a worthwhile cause.

Sure there's a lot of nasty stuff in smokes. You'd be surprised what shows up in meat too. That's the reason why a lot of people roll their own smokes and hunt their own game. That and the fact that good meet is 2 bucks a pound and smokes are 24 a friggin carton.

If you want to whine about smoking and second hand smoke, here's my solution: Don't smoke, and step out of the room when someone does smoke. Leave those who choose to smoke the hell alone. You've got your no-smoking sections, no-smoking airlines and federal buildings, and no-smoking in nightclubs laws (which, I may add, is absolutely bogus and a gross invasion of personal freedom on the part of nightclub and bar owners), so be happy.

Reminds me of the commercial with the little girl saying how second hand smoke goes into her lungs, giving her asthma and scaring her. I say good, if it gets her off of my teevee that much sooner, then tell her to breath deeply, because I miss Joe Camel.

And in case you're wondering, I come from a long line of smokers. I've never smoked a cigarette or cigar in my life. I've never even smoked a joint (plenty of second hand highs tho!). I know all the evils of second hand smoke and smoking. I choose not to smoke, and also to not infringe on my friends rights to smoke. That's their call, not mine.
I agree completely. Synlor is definitley a whore. :D J/k.

Seriously, though. Several of my friends smoke, and I choose not to, but I don't give them sh1t about it. In fact, to me, there's nothing funnier than an old person alternating between taking a puff, hacking up a lung, struggling for a breath and taking another puff.

Why do I think it's funny? Well, my dad smoked two packs a day for 40 years until his doctor told him to quit or he'd die. So he made the choice to quit. He chose to smoke and he chose to quit. It's as simple as that. If someone chooses to smoke through the hole in their neck, it's no one's fault but their own.

<edit>Is it just me, or has this gone completely off topic?</edit>
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Roofus wrote:<edit>Is it just me, or has this gone completely off topic?</edit>
yes, indeed it did, but it was a nice debate.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

A lot of my family members smoke, or used to smoke, so don't give me that crap. What I meant to say is that when you sell a poison, then you should be able to get sued for it, but if you are selling food, you shouldn't be able to get sued for it. Simple as that. I wouldn't blame the older population for sueing tobacco companies either, my grandparents have told me several times they wish they knew what we know now about smoking, then they wouldn't have started.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

az_bont wrote:
ninja wrote:The only place you can really smoke anymore is in your car, in your house, and outside. Very few restaurants let you smoke, very few nightclubs, NO AIRLINES, etc....
If people dont like being around smoke, then they can either move or go away. Its that simple.
So you think that because you want to pollute the surroundings, others should move away and not you? If you want to damage your lungs it's no skin off my nose - just don't inflict your filthy habits on the rest of us (I'm talking generally, we'll almost certainly never be in the same room together).

good way of saying it. i couldn't care less if people smoke. it's their life. but, if im out somewhere and somebody is smoking i usually walk away. if i cant walk away i usually say some smartass remark.

also, why is it that while working the smokers get a smokers break, but if you take a break they tell you to get back to work ?
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

pavelbure wrote:
az_bont wrote:

good way of saying it. i couldn't care less if people smoke. it's their life. but, if im out somewhere and somebody is smoking i usually walk away. if i cant walk away i usually say some smartass remark.

also, why is it that while working the smokers get a smokers break, but if you take a break they tell you to get back to work ?
Because theyre nicotine junkies, and they cant perform well without a cig to calm their fragile nerves.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

ninja wrote:I have the right to smoke anywhere outdoors on public land unless doing so constitutes an unusual hazard.
I'm not too hot on this one - have you ever walked around a busy section of town? The stench of tobacco smoke is overpowering, and can make your eyes water to be near it. Does that therefore mean that I must run along the desolate backoads to avoid the ignorance of the majority of smokers?

And other than that, it can do harm to you. I have a friend who is heavily asthmatic. It pains me to see him practically choke when we're in a smoke-filled area, to see him actually in pain because of it just really irritates me, not to mention him.

If the majority of the world's population smoked, then the minority should perhaps be made to put up with it. But that is simply not the case. The only places smoking should be allowed is in the privacy of your own home, someone else's if they consent, and in designated areas where a non-smoking alternative is available.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

you cant forget about the car. As long as it is yours, you should be able to smoke it. The reason im saying outdoors is, well, hell, who ever goes outside other than to goto work / school / store.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

What I find absolutely absurd is the no smoking in nightclubs laws that are being passed in recent years. At a nightclub, people are looking to do essentially two things:

1) Ingest large quantities of alcohol before driving home.

2) Find a complete stranger to have unprotected sex with at the end of the evening.

God forbid people should be smoking at the same time, though. That would be hazardous to everyone's health.