For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
qw3rty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by qw3rty »

To play a local SFD-Movie you need the following link

<A HREF="x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg/[path]/[filename with extension]">[Title of Link]</A>

or type in the following URL :

x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg/[path]/[filename with extension]

If you want to create a web-server with SFD-movies in it create the following MIME-type :

*.SFD : x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg
(not too sure about this, but it should work ;))

To play a local ADX-file type

<A HREF="x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/adx/[path on CD]/[filename with extension]">[Title of Link]</A>

This works with "Dreamkey 3" (but it should work with all DC-browsers - at least the Dream Passports)

If you have "Dreamkey 3" try following URL - it?s a sample page showing the features of the Dreamcast Browser (like messages on the VMU-LCD, Flash or 3d Animations) :

file:///dksample/index.html

(yes, THREE slashes after file ;) )

P.S. : In Dreamkey 1 (or 1.5 ??) try following URL (DK 1 also had SFD-playback included - you will see an european Dreamcast commercial):

about:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

damn guys this is getting crazy, this new release is most likely going to be great. i cant wait for it. your going to have a selfbooted .cdi for it right? ewwwie i hate dickjuggler, but i will just convert to nero image

NERO ROCKS
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:44 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To play a local SFD-Movie you need the following link

<A HREF="x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg/[path]/[filename with extension]">[Title of Link]</A>

or type in the following URL :

x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg/[path]/[filename with extension]

If you want to create a web-server with SFD-movies in it create the following MIME-type :

*.SFD : x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/mpeg
(not too sure about this, but it should work )

To play a local ADX-file type

<A HREF="x-avefront://---.dream/proc/play/adx/[path on CD]/[filename with extension]">[Title of Link]</A>

of ALL people,i shoulda remembered this,sorry about that. ive been focusing on so many other things other than movies,etc,that it slipped my mind completely. tonight im going over to the dcbg and get some faqs and guides to add to the custom cd's these will inlcude a guide from me on movie files,etc. again,sorry about that man,it slipped my mind altogether.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

also if anyone is interested in my "DCtv" skin for dp3,it resembles webtv in most aspects(mostly color tones,backgrounds,etc) even the mail program is skinned partly.) if you all want it,ill upload the dpwww folder to my tripod site,and the needed dp3.ini so all color changes take affect.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Using chabtalk Instant messanger guide/downloads

Post by DreamservVMU »

http://www.mamak-int.com/pso/faq7.asp
go to this url and download chabsign and NJCommunicator

and follow the guide there for making chabtalk dreamcast im id's

and then go to the dreamcast browsers group at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dreamcastbrowsers

click on the guides and faqs link and go to the chabtalk section and read the guides for adding the ID you just made to the dreamcast for use. its easy to do and allows access to the dreampassport instant messanger.

basicly what this will do is store the Instant messanger ID in dc internal memory,also it will also give you a small isao.net webpage account to use as well.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

also a note about making your own sofdec movies for dreampassport/planetweb. they need to be made with certain settings(ie:bit rate,etc) before they will even play even though they are sofdecs.

using the dreamcast movie creator,open a custom made or a sofdec you ve downloaded from dreamcast.planetweb.com or elsewhere and view how the file was made(ie:what its settings are as fas as bitrate,etc..)use these files as a guide on making yours,as these files are known to play well. id suggest the ones at planetwebs dc site,becuase they ALL play on dc and look quite well.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

Hey, how's the BBA support work in this?

I have a BBA and was never able to figure out how to get DP3 online with it, using the CT2 rip. I spent days tinkering in the options, blindly :P

From what i read in this thread, it doesn't even support it? :evil:
qw3rty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by qw3rty »

the SFD-Player is quite powerfull - it can handle bitrates up to 2200 kbit (even variable bit rate) and resolutions up to 640 x 320 with 25 fps !
If you use TMpeG with multipass VBR and high bitrates / resolutions the quality is nearly SVCD-like :D
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

the bba support wasnt in the ct2 version of dp3,the pso-dp3 that fatheadpi is working on now is SUPPOSED to have it....only one of the dp series ive EVER seeen with it is DPP Dreampassport Premire..it works nicely as well. the setup in dpp is very intuitive,even with the japanese you know exactly what goes where....why? cause they dont got japanese names for..TCP/IP,ETC...heh sooooo they used english letters! lol. now as for the pso-dp3 i have read that it can be used with a BB connection..IF the version PI is working on for the next release is from the JAPANESE PSO-DP3 then i think its in there.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Indeed it can. It can pull off vhs quality with the following settings:

Video (Assuming you pre-encoded under TMPEG)
352x240
2-pass vbr 1150kbps
30 fps
Default IBP settings

Audio
Whatever works

But curtis the one on that page is the bootleg sofdec maker from the sega sdk. I need something a little more, how you say... LEGAL.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

sfd movies

Post by OneThirty8 »

Thanks for the help guys. I'm on my way home from school now and I'll try burning another disk.

From what I've seen of this browser, it's got a lot of potential for making really good menus for all my movies files, so I can't wait to get videos playing on it to see if the playback is better than GypPlay.

Also, I haven't had a chance to figure all of this out yet, but is it possible for the screensaver to have more than one image on screen at a time or use animated gifs?

BTW, speaking of GypPlay, even though it's off-topic, I made a batch file a few weeks ago based on the Echelon Tutorial and what I deciphered from the Kamui self-boot kit's batch file that will self-boot GypPlay if anyone is interested in it. I also made a "setup.bat" to make it so you don't have to enter your scsi id or burn speed every time, it prompts you with how to edit the batch file. It's a little sloppy because I mainly made it for myself, but it works fine just by double-clicking on the icon under windows instead of typing commands in the DOS window. Once it starts the first burn, it does the whole process without stopping between burning, making the iso, etc, so you can tell it to burn the disc and then go make dinner or whatever and have your self booting disc waiting when you get back.

When I get the browser all figured out I'll probably make a selfboot.bat for that as well. Funny how I can make a batch file to do a half dozen things, but can't remember how to write an html tag...
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

i always assumed it was legal,many dvd/vcd sites have it listed as a way to make your dc movies,etc..and they are legit sites,so i assumed if they had it up with no problems it musta been legal,and its the best sofdec,if not the ONLY editor for sofdecs available. sorry to say. but it will encode many types of video not just sofdec. damn you sure thats from the sdk kit? its been out sice the dc planetweb 1.219 got sofdec ability on it.and not only that,me and a few other guys waaay back when dc was lookin like a competitor made some custom sofdecs with that SAME kit that planetweb hosted for a short time for browser users,hell planetweb saw all the attention the movies got and thats when they added their sofdec section! everyone including sega had to know its what we were using. and we did all this from the http://www.dricasworld.com/ forums boards(a site sega supported during the dc's launch,etc..)so if it is illegal,then they must not give a rat's poop about it. but if we cant use it,we cant use it.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

BEAUTIFUL!

Post by OneThirty8 »

ALRIGHT!!!
I've got movies playing (finally) And they look GREAT (especially considering the bitrate i used to fit the whole movie on one disc...) this honestly looks almost as good as the VCD I ripped it from did when I watched it on my friend's DVD player, and I compressed the crap out of it. The audio quality suffered noticeably, but again I compressed the hell out of the audio as well (14700 kb/s stereo) and pretty much expected it to sound like it does...
Thanks, DreamservVMU and qw3rty for explaining how to play the sfd's... I would have run out of CD'R's by morning without help. Return of the Jedi looks so much better at ~500kbps on the browser than it did at 1500 on GypPlay...not blocky or anything. I've had those VCD's for months and was sick of watching them on the computer screen.

The only problem I have now is the screen saver activates during the movie. Any way to turn that off, or do I have to remember to play with the controller every few minutes? Not a big deal or anything, if that's the only problem watching movies on the XDP3, it still makes an awesome movie player.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

BEAUTIFUL!

Post by OneThirty8 »

ALRIGHT!!!
I've got movies playing (finally) And they look GREAT (especially considering the bitrate i used to fit the whole movie on one disc...) this honestly looks almost as good as the VCD I ripped it from did when I watched it on my friend's DVD player, and I compressed the crap out of it. The audio quality suffered noticeably, but again I compressed the hell out of the audio as well (14700 kb/s stereo) and pretty much expected it to sound like it does...
Thanks, DreamservVMU and qw3rty for explaining how to play the sfd's... I would have run out of CD'R's by morning without help. Return of the Jedi looks so much better at ~500kbps on the browser than it did at 1500 on GypPlay...not blocky or anything. I've had those VCD's for months and was sick of watching them on the computer screen.

The only problem I have now is the screen saver activates during the movie. Any way to turn that off, or do I have to remember to play with the controller every few minutes? Not a big deal or anything, if that's the only problem watching movies on the XDP3, it still makes an awesome movie player.

Almost forgot to thank fatheadpi for all the hard work translating from japanese and everything else... great job!
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

just wiggle the analog stick from time to time :wink: that should keep ye ole screensaver at bay..it usually doesnt turn on for atleast 6 mins of idle time..hey dont be afraid to give them a boost in quality..i just made The Crow Sofdec movie and the sound and vid is easily comparable to any vhs player.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

oh a side bonus..if ya wanna call it that heh..you can be surfing the net online,go to your movie page and it plays while connected and when finished just resume surfing...i was just surprised it didnt disconnect when the full movie started..heh. also if you want to listen to wavs,midis,etc on a lil bit larger sound player than the one it shows...just open up dp3.dps and edit the width height parameters and it displays very nicely. it will be labled as audio player i believe...bad memory...you can even reassign colors to it,buttons,etc..
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, I've got alchohol, time to get to work on release 4. Man mudslide gets me in the mood.

Curtis, tell you what. You find me some good adx encoding gear, and I'll show you a neat trick to minimize the usage of that movie maker and also cust the size from 7.5 megs down to 303k's.

I've already said a few times what the new release should look like, so I'm off to get to work on it.

And onethirtyeight, your batch file will work the same on gypplay and the browser. I might have to borrow that adx file from you, I'll see how popular audio dummying gets. You can have as many screen savers as you want, there are two ways to do this.

1. Make a custom XDP disc, and in the folder dpss, shove all your gifs.

2. Surf the web and save some pics to your vmu, it'll use those too.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

http://www.christophefantoni.com/downlo ... =Dreamcast

how this? lol..i THINK thats as many adx tools i ever seen on one site...adx2wav ADXEncode,afs2adx,on and on and on...and many other weird dc tools also..its a french(i believe) site..so just going by what lil engrish is there.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

ADX Encoders

Post by OneThirty8 »

Is it possible to use any of those ADX Encoders as and external audio encoder in TMPGEnc? Or perhaps demux an MPG into an M1V and MP2, convert the mp2 to wav in sound forge xp or cooledit (or maybe audacity? i'm not sure if the current version will open an mp2...), then to ADX with whatever tool and then get TMPGEnc to mux the M1V with ADX? I have no idea if that would work, and it takes a while to load the audio stream for a 2 hour movie in sound forge xp and just as long to save the wav file, but it would eliminate the need to use the Movie Creator from the SDK.

If it would work, converting from DIVX would just require the extra step of converting it to and MPG before demuxing it.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

having problems with .pvr images,i dont have photoshop so i cant use the plugin to edit them,is there ANY tools/utilities for editing and saving .pvr images that doesnt require photoshop? i FRANKLY dont CARE WHO made the tools,sega...GOD..who ever...i just need them.