For those interested in the web browser

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Are you interested in the web browser?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 203
law
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by law »

ninja wrote:I wouldnt mind trying out the web browser on the DC except i dont have a dial up account to use [straight up broadband]. I also dont have a modem on my computer :/. *sigh*.
Uhm like i said, i have straight broadband too, its hooked up to my dsl router ( im from germany btw ), so will the new browser be able to do that ? And is planetweb 3.0 able to do so ?
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

planetweb 3.0 is completely broadband capable,but i was under the impression that only two dp's were dreampassport broadband and dreampassport premire,but some say dp3-pso is,ive never used(broadband that is) it so i dont know,but as for dp3-pso i have and i dont know how to setup the options for the broadband section. this section should be covered and a guide made by those who have used it and know how to enter settings with all that ying-yang thats currently in it thats called text..
sonicblur
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sonicblur »

DreamservVMU wrote:planetweb 3.0 is completely broadband capable,but i was under the impression that only two dp's were dreampassport broadband and dreampassport premire,but some say dp3-pso is,ive never used(broadband that is) it so i dont know,but as for dp3-pso i have and i dont know how to setup the options for the broadband section. this section should be covered and a guide made by those who have used it and know how to enter settings with all that ying-yang thats currently in it thats called text..
The browser you refer to as "Dreampassport Broadband" or broadband Passport, is actually a hack of the DreamPassport in PSOv1, translated to english! It's basicly what you're doing now, but they rushed it out for PSOv1 US users so they could use Broadband. I actually saw the original NFO for it somewhere stating that.

And here's a guide how to set up broadband in the PSOv2 Browser, it's the same guide I used when I got PSO to set mine up. :-)
http://www.mamak-int.com/pso/faq5b.asp

This is a very good guide, and has pictures showing every step of the way
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

well i disagree,it may be some kind of hack,but it isnt from pso version1. the broadband browser is dreampassport version 2.0. i have 2.0 and its identical,except its for broadband only,and i own pso version 1 and it has dreamkey version 1.0 usa,and japanese pso version 1 has dp3. not dp2.......
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Alright, lots of new stuff, and the private dick is busy as all getout.

The local video game store was entranced with my demonstration of the DC's abilites, and now wants me to build rom-less compilaion discs they can distribute alongside their dc's to sell them to their overpopulation of fanboys. I've been building a sample one tonight, we aren't sure what will come of it yet.

Sonicblur, thanks for re-upping the DP3, I'll download it it tonight and foward the link to curtis. I don't think I'll post that link, just wait and up a new version of XDP, ideally sometime this weekend.

Curtis, I've obviously got a lot of work to do, I'll huck that ip.bin your way as soon as i can.

In other news, a higher up in this scene is interested in our project. I won't release his name, but he reverse engineered the DP emulator and converted it into a standalone Emulator. He's interested in the TG-16 support, and if he chooses to release his name, I'll let him, but I don't know how this site will react to it. Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't been banned over the stuff I talk about (DreamRip, adx encoding, the Sofdec SDK kit).

Gotta go check hotmail.

Fathead P.I.

Private Dick at large
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

cool,im interested in how the newly reversed engineered emu plays,i know it plays very well as is,but it seems to be limited to one game at a time,and you need several directories each with the emu and games,thats tedious,i may be doing it wrong though. good news,i hope this individual comes forward,if not thats cool as well. but thanks to him/her for their work.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

thanks for the link offer PI but i own all the browsers already.so i dont need it. the reason i havent offered the full dp3 stand alone is because its a horrible PINK GUI that cant be changed....i used that thing til i actually destroyed my only original cd of it...heh i threw it against the wall..something about that lil jap girl yelping every trigger option you moved over...arrrrgh! lol.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

I'm surprised I haven't been banned over the stuff I talk about (DreamRip, adx encoding, the Sofdec SDK kit).

whats wrong with adx encoding? no more different then going to lets say cnet downloads and downloading a mpeg or avi editor,etc....how can encoding adx files be any less legal than any other media files like avi,mp3,etc? i dont get it. and as for sofdec video goes,heck theres even a sofdec movie creator that converts mpegs,avi,etc to sofdec video and also allows editing of the sofdec,i see it available on many sites and has been on those same sites for a LONG time...so it doesnt seem sega or anyone has a problem with it. now dreamrip or whatever...cant say cause i dont recall reading about it or anything.

and this is WAY off topic..but DC GNUBOY RULES!!! man what a kick ass lil emu..i WISH these apps would run from the browsers..imagine,get bored with surifn etc...just navigate to the emu and start playing. thats what im in this for now,i want to learn how to make the browser recognize all of the emus/apps contents and play..might be a pipe dream..but it might happen. hell we are 50% there already cause ALL the emus will boot up and run...just cant seem to locate their own roms,folders and files..cant be that BIG of an issue...atleast they are running..thats the largest hurdle.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

fatheadpi - You said you might need some PC apps coded for this project? I'd be willing to give them a shot (I can't work on nxDoom all the time you know - I'd get bored with it). What sort of stuff do you think you'd need?
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

hey a few questions,off topic but breif. what are the different stars for in our name headers?are they differnet levels of membership,etc? ive seen some with gold stars with 5 or so,some with blue stars like mine with 1,etc..or does it really matter? jus curious. but one title i dont relish having..the "uncool" anything title...LOL
jared1619
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by jared1619 »

hey a few questions,off topic but breif. what are the different stars for in our name headers?are they differnet levels of membership,etc? ive seen some with gold stars with 5 or so,some with blue stars like mine with 1,etc..or does it really matter? jus curious. but one title i dont relish having..the "uncool" anything title...LOL
It's explained here:
http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6707
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

thanks for the link to the avatar/ranking message. cleared it up. :D
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

how do i get the browser to play sfd or mpeg-1?

Post by OneThirty8 »

I've never posted anything before, but I've been a frequent visitor to DCEmu for a while now...

I got the browser working on my DC with the echelon method no problem... i downloaded release 2 because it was plain files and i hate discjuggler, and i made my own index.html, and changed the screensaver from the crazy taxi one (made my own GIF) and that all worked fine, but when i tried to link my .sfd files from the my index.html, it said 'host could not be found.' I'm sure i'm just doing something stupid... am i supposed to link directly to the .sfd file, or embed it in a webpage like a picture, or what? I've tried a few things that I thought "should work" based on what I've read here but I'm obviously missing something completely.

Thanks
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

make sure the .sfd file is in the same directory the index.html page is, and make the html link like this <a href=movie.sfd> without any slashes or ""... or if that fails,type the actual link to the movie in the browser url bar ie: file:/movie.sfd but thwe above should work just fine. you can use mpegs on the browser as well.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

also,BIG note:
do not make your browser html links like this to ANY page,file,etc on the browsers..
<a href=file:/whatever.file> this will change because when you make it on windows windows changes the actual link to something like this

C:///file:///etc.file

something similar to that..just make the links like this

<a href=pagename.html> or if you are gonna use out of main directory..
<a href=/directory/pagename.html> this way prevents the link from becoming file:/// leave the file:/ out of href links.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Ok, thanks a lot. I put file:/ in my link, so I'll try it the way you said and it should work.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Busy night.

Currently downloading some reverse engineering stuff, and the Jap PSO DP rip. Curtis, if there are legal Sofdec tools, I need them all ASAP. If I get my hands on them, I'll likely drop everything just to get an encoding guide written, and once it's done everyone will want to use XDP to play movies.

By the way, nice theme, I'll use it for the next release. Those midis rock hard ass too, and the shooters looked alright. Later on we'll have some serious fun with those.

I'm getting all the stuff ready, I figure this weekend will be release four. I'll update the boot kit, adding a slightly revised (re: spellchecked) tutorial and a dummy making program. I'll then shove up a new plainfiles release, and probably do another CDI image in a rar file with cdi2nero like v3 is. v4 will basically mark the upgrade (hopefully) to the new DP platform, a better DP3 file, and message.ini too, a nice theme (no more dangerously high levels of my engineer atwork), and some new tools for the browser.

I've been looking at the DP3 ini you sent me curtis, and just looking at it, uless I can define multiple appdir's, then we're sol for all but like a few emulators. Reason is, the file system for devkit gear was built assuming you could shove all of one program into one single uber big subfolder that would... hmmm... *lightbulb*...
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

you can assign multiple app directories,probably past the 9 that most have used,what i sent was just an illistration on how they are inserted into the ini file itself for proper loading of an app. also those dps files can be altered as well(not the dimension/height-width parameters,they can to but im just talking to make any theme you add have full colors support on all pop up boxes menu items,etc..)i finished building a cd last night where id been working on it for months editing the .dps files,i call it DCTV..heh i took a transparent webtv logo,edited it to say DCtv and added the little moving road from webtv and added it to my start page with the nxdoom website background showing through the images..it RULES!! oh i didnt edit the nxdoom background bmp at all,it rules the way it looks,i hope its ok to use it,as this one is for strictly personal use only. i edited the dps files to show custom borders with 3d like(not really 3d just appears that way with color blending,etc)effect around all popups,menus etc..very cool. ill post a link to the sofdec editor i have used before..been awahile so a guide i dont think i can make with any clear cut method for use.
DreamservVMU
DC Browser Guy

Post by DreamservVMU »

better get this quick,i had a hell of a time relocating it.

http://www.crackmanworld.com/dreamcast/util.htm

its halfway down the page called dreamcast movie maker.

there are other tools utilities as well,also hunt a sofdec making guide so your sofdecs actually play on dc.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

sfd still won't play

Post by OneThirty8 »

OK, I have my .sfd file in the dpwww directory with my index.html, and I made the link to the sfd just like you said, so that line looks like this:

<a href=movie.sfd>movie</a>

So, the star wars background looks right, my tie fighter screen saver looks cool, but the star wars video clips don't play back.

Any further suggestions? Maybe I should have a page like movie.html with the video file referenced by an html tag or something?