How to bypass cable modem for Dreamcast

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Spectreshok
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to bypass cable modem for Dreamcast

Post by Spectreshok »

I dont know if you guys have already posted on this topic.... or if I've posted this thread before under one of my other profiles..... but here is how you can get broadband DC Internet access without the cable modem, ( the dreamcast cable modem that is)

First. You are going to need a Modular RJ11 Modem Cable, such as the one made by Belkin ($16-$25 highly recommended) http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... t_Id=70836

This cable will allow you to get high speeds while still using a RJ11 plug. (the regular phone line plug)

Next you need to hook one end of the Rj11 cable into the modem of your DC, and plug the other end to the Cable modem on your computer.
There are a number of ways to plug it up to your cable or dsl modem on your computer. The 2 most popular ways are to just plug the RJ11 right into the modem (if your modem has multiple jacks on it). If your modem doesnt have multiple jacks, go out and buy a Cable modem RJ11/RJ45 cable modem adapter ($5-$10).
Its a little adapter that plugs into your modem and lets you hook up both your regular RJ45 ethernet cable into it, and your new RJ11 plug from your dreamcast.

Now your dreamcast is connected to the net via cable or dsl.

Now heres the tricky part... Setup.

Im not a pro on this, because Ive heard a number of people with major issues trying to setup their account. My dreamcast automatically went online using the new setup, I dont know why, and I dont know if yours will work the same way.

Ive heard of people setting up their accounts as you would with the official cable modem for DC. Ive heard of some mysterious program available on mIRC and Direct Connect that will automatically adjust your settings for your new setup.

But anyway, thats how you do it. Setting it up may cause a slight headache, but it sure as hell beats paying $150+ for a cable modem.

Spectreshok@hotmail.com
(Lotekk Industries)
vicviper74
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

R U saying what i think ur saying

Post by vicviper74 »

So we dont need to get a broadband adapter? What about when it tries to login with the dial up?(will it know its broadband?) and what setting do we put on the dreamcast. just get a bit more specific!! i really want to learn
Since people seem to message me for nuthin!!! I removed my messenger link ha ha ha ha
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Biggest problem I got with all my consoles going online is I don't have them in the same room as my PC. And my router is also in my room. And my Dreamcast/ps2/gamecube is all downstairs in the family room.

But I don't care there isn't any on-line games I like anyways. Only current Console on-line games is pretty much Quake style games. And every time you go on there you get that 1 person who eats/sleeps/dreams that game and they have like 50 frags or so when everbody else is at like 8 or so. Not much fun when as soon as you spawn BAM your dead.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Zephyr28
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zephyr28 »

woah hold on, are you saying I don't need a BBA to get online using broadband? This is serious stuff. Would you please explain this in detail, or give us a link to a website that explains this?

Thanks,

Luke
Grandia II
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

I'm busy with this myself. European users probably can't use this setup since it would blow there Dreamcast. This whole method is only available for a small group of users since not everyone has a modem that's always online. I life in the Netherlands and we have something called Mxstream (ADSL) and the normal cable modems. Mxstream works on DHCP but it needs a computername programmed. This can't be done in the Dreamkey......(if it is possible please let me know).

European modems get power from the phonecord. A broadband-modem gives a lot more power that a regular phonecord. Therefor it would damage the modem and if you're really unlucky damage the whole console.....

It is a great way for peeps to get online though (if possible). Please let me know if it works out.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

I somehow really doubt this works.. connecting a modem to a network? And getting broadband speeds? By simply using a plug adapter? Very doubtful........
Zephyr28
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zephyr28 »

to tell you the truth, I dont think it will work either. but I want an internet connection so badly for my dc, that it's worth trying.
Grandia II
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

The modem is only going to work at a set speed anyway. So you won't get "broadband speed." If you want to hook your DC up to the internet through your broadband internet service though, there is that DC to PC connection thingy someone rigged that does work with a modem. I thought everyone under the sun knew about this by now...

http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/DCWinMEServer.htm
[UR4]Dutch
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by [UR4]Dutch »

It's not about the broadband speeds, but to get online for free......human nature.