Don't buy any games 12/1 - 12/8!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by EvilSporkMan »

But Canadian money is worth less than american...
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Lupin[lvl]
Gentleman Thief
Gentleman Thief

Post by Lupin[lvl] »

kaze wrote:eh, whatever. sure theyre expensive, but so are a bunch of things, music, dvds, hardware. people should quit whining.
easy to tell this is comming from someone who has enough money to buy what she wants

games cost too much on the retailers end. they unduely cost more then music, dvds and other media of a similar kind because they know they can get away with it, and they should be cheaper, simple.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

hrmmmm...... I remember paying about $90 for Virtua Racing for the genesis.... ahh the good ol' days of carts. :)
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

Cutman wrote:Well, here in Canada GBA games cost $85-95 per game! It's crazy, I got Advanced Wars and it came to $87.95 with tax. I think it is quite outrageous.
Great point. When I went to Future Shop a couple days ago, I was going to buy Doom(GBA), but I saw that they had just lowered it to $47. Canada is a rip off games-wise. I fully support boycotting software companies and they're almost 10000% profits from games. I mean, you could atleast lower PC games to $15 to combat piracy and up sales. It only costs less then $.50 a cd.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Unseen wrote:
Cutman wrote:Well, here in Canada GBA games cost $85-95 per game! It's crazy, I got Advanced Wars and it came to $87.95 with tax. I think it is quite outrageous.
Great point. When I went to Future Shop a couple days ago, I was going to buy Doom(GBA), but I saw that they had just lowered it to $47. Canada is a rip off games-wise. I fully support boycotting software companies and they're almost 10000% profits from games. I mean, you could atleast lower PC games to $15 to combat piracy and up sales. It only costs less then $.50 a cd.
Europeans can get brand new PC games for between ?15-18 at http://www.play.com - pretty good for the UK, seeing as though they're ?30-40 everywhere else.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

I would import some games, but I think the Euro is still worth more then the Canadian dollar :? .
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

Lupin[lvl] wrote:
kaze wrote:eh, whatever. sure theyre expensive, but so are a bunch of things, music, dvds, hardware. people should quit whining.
easy to tell this is comming from someone who has enough money to buy what she wants

games cost too much on the retailers end. they unduely cost more then music, dvds and other media of a similar kind because they know they can get away with it, and they should be cheaper, simple.
my whole thing is gaming is a hobby, such as other things. no one complains about the price of a 300 dollar video card, which comes down to half the price 3 months later, everything is overpriced.
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

Then again the computer market is slightly aimed at a higher age group then consoles. Computer users (being teenagers to mid-40's generally) have more money to spend then console users (toddlers to late 20's, and maybe later). Also, CD's don't have the steep technology price curve that PC hardware does. After you buy a game, it wont go down for another month or two.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

this thing

Post by toastman »

But it comes down to the retailers when you get down to it.
Most retailers have a markup of about 30% on games (and peripherals)
That's $16 dollars off a $50 game that the games industry never sees. So you are really looking at a price of $34 that the retailer paid the publisher. Take out the license fee, around $10 per disc, and you get $24.
$24 per game to spread between production, advertising, distribution, PR, development, overhead, etc.
If a game costs $1mil to develop, a game needs to sell around 400,000 copies to break even on development costs alone. That's even before they pay the bills. You could be looking at a figure closer to 500K to 600K.
News Flash: In order for a game to make the Greatest Hits lineup on the PS2 it needs to sell 400,000 copies. Greatest Hits games are $20. All games published by Sony are released at $40. SOMEONE is taking the initiative. And they were doing it before that gay-ass petition.
No signature.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Veggita2099 wrote:I am willing to bet Oni, which is a $20 game for ps2 or $10 for PC took just as much time to make as that new Tetris game for GC?
Actually...I saw Oni tonight at EB for $7.99 on PS2 :roll:
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

Im still getting ripped here in Canada cause:

Ps2 Games usually retail at: $79.99 new
Greatest Hits: $49.99
Xbox Games usually retail at: $82.99 new
GBA Games usually retail at: $59.99 new
GC (Who cares, it sucks)

The only thing I can impulse buy is Dreamcast games which are usually $9.99 new.
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

Unseen wrote:Im still getting ripped here in Canada cause:

Ps2 Games usually retail at: $79.99 new
Greatest Hits: $49.99
Xbox Games usually retail at: $82.99 new
GBA Games usually retail at: $59.99 new
GC (Who cares, it sucks)

The only thing I can impulse buy is Dreamcast games which are usually $9.99 new.
:o

Wow.

On topic, I don't even think they need (perhaps I should use the word 'should'?) to lower the price all that much....even $5 off and I would be happy; $10 off and I might possibly jump for joy (off of starting, retail price).
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

seriously though, if the price of games bother you THAT much, then dont feel that you must get them on launch day, wait like 1 month for the hype to die down and then get it for like 10-15 dollars cheaper.

final fantasy x 49.99-54.99. one month later, 34.99 just about everywhere, and 29.99 used.
Current Music:
Little Viking - Future
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

az_bont wrote:Europeans can get brand new PC games for between ?15-18 at http://www.play.com - pretty good for the UK, seeing as though they're ?30-40 everywhere else.
What a great site! :D I didn't even know it existed. Thanks az_bont. My "no buying games or consoles until end of November" rule is now out of the window.
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

kaze wrote:seriously though, if the price of games bother you THAT much, then dont feel that you must get them on launch day, wait like 1 month for the hype to die down and then get it for like 10-15 dollars cheaper.

final fantasy x 49.99-54.99. one month later, 34.99 just about everywhere, and 29.99 used.
Warez is another way to resort to. I used to do quite a lot of that, but buying games gives you a much better feeling, plus if you get bored of it one day, and your low on cash, you go out and sell it.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

Unseen wrote:
kaze wrote:seriously though, if the price of games bother you THAT much, then dont feel that you must get them on launch day, wait like 1 month for the hype to die down and then get it for like 10-15 dollars cheaper.

Warez is another way to resort to. I used to do quite a lot of that, but buying games gives you a much better feeling, plus if you get bored of it one day, and your low on cash, you go out and sell it.
i dont buy the "i copy games because theyre too much", especially dvdrs. hell the equipment alone is about 5-6 games.
Current Music:
Little Viking - Future
Unseen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Unseen »

You have to admit though, here in Canada, where DVDR's cost $15, a game costs $80, a DVD burner (which I have) costs about $900, a mod chip costs $40, and to rent a game costs $3 a night....you do save quite a lot of money over time.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

if that is the case canada should stop braging about how much better their health coverage is. that is the reason yall pay so much and also one of the slap sticks yall try to point at us. "hah we got better healt insurance". either way it all comes out equal. i think gaming companies like tv commercial advertisers should advertise more to the older public. the under 21 group is not gonna buy as much as those in the working class.
Last edited by AmadeusZull on Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

kaze wrote:
Unseen wrote:

i dont buy the "i copy games because theyre too much", especially dvdrs. hell the equipment alone is about 5-6 games.
I have been waiting for GTA3 to go down for a year now, its still 50 bucks new everwhere around here (on ps2 that is). Some games go down quick while others don't. Warcraft III was 35 bucks recently.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

Veggita2099 wrote:
kaze wrote:
Unseen wrote:

I have been waiting for GTA3 to go down for a year now, its still 50 bucks new everwhere around here (on ps2 that is). Some games go down quick while others don't. Warcraft III was 35 bucks recently.
gta 3 is worth $200 in my opinon.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.