Evangelion Question...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Evangelion Question...

Post by Tank-X »

Is spending ~$150-200 for the Evangelion series worth it? (Box set and hopefully that movie w/the alternate ending). I'm trying to decide which to buy......Gundam Wing Box, or Evangelion box......

Comments from those whove seen it are appreciated.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

If you want the anime with the best story, go for Gundam Wing.
If you want an anime that toys with your mind (and shouldnt been seen by people with epilepsy or depression) get Evangelion.

I own both and have watched Gundam Wing far many more times than Evangelion.If you want to judge for yourself, get half of gundam wing from kazaa (or just up to episode 20), and half of evangelion (up to episode 15) and compare.

Both are equal, in my opinion, maybe evangelion more, but if you dont want to toy with the psychotic element (i had a fear of sunsets for a month because of it..) dont get evangelion.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

I've got the Evangelion box set and the 2 extra releases comprising the alternate ending. I enjoy Evangelion, and I like the fact that with the box set and these 2 releases that it is an open and shut case. The Gundam universe is huge comprising a bunch of different series/side quests that it would end up costing far more than $150 if you want the entire collection of all episodes dealing with Gundam. Unless ofcourse I am wrong, but from what I have found it is comming out in about 2 weeks. It is 49 episodes, and it has everything that was on Toonami (according to the Bandai website). So if it is quantity you are after, Gundam is probably your best bet, but the whole Gundam universe is much bigger. I got this Bandai pamphlet that breaks down the Gundam universe, and here is what it says with respect to time line and # of episodes:

Mobile Suit Gundam - 42 episodes

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - 13 episodes

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - 6 episodes

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Star Dust Memory - 13 episodes

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (... a great movie...)

G-Savior - The Movie

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing - 49 episodes {comes out October 22nd and currently airing on Toonami}

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

That is all I know for US releases. 3 movies and 123 episodes is going to cost you; but when I start a collection, I like to finish it.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
soul hunter
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Location: the Hell called Norco, next to the Shining light of Corona. (not the beer)

Post by soul hunter »

:x you people and gundam, the question was, is evangelion good. we all know that gundam is, because it gets massive ad campaining comparitively. post on topic people
Before you criticize some one, walk a mile in their shoes,
then when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away, and have their shoes.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Evangelion Question...

Post by Hawq »

Tank-X wrote:Is spending ~$150-200 for the Evangelion series worth it? (Box set and hopefully that movie w/the alternate ending). I'm trying to decide which to buy......Gundam Wing Box, or Evangelion box......

Hit ebay for the Evangelion box, I won one for around $100 recently, now just waiting eagerly for it to arrive. It's a great series, dont know bout Gundam Wing though as no channels shown it here yet. Then again I've seen the Gundam stuff at alright prices on ebay as well so check out some auctions before going shopping.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

soul hunter wrote::x you people and gundam, the question was, is evangelion good. we all know that gundam is, because it gets massive ad campaining comparitively. post on topic people
Yep.

I've seen Gundam Wing, and was hoping I would have some feedback from people whove seen Evangelion....so far I'm leaning to Evangelion, as I have what they showed on Toonami recorded on 3 tapes, and loved it.

I've heard a lot of good things about EVA, in reviews and such, and was hoping to get a bit more info.

Thanks for the replies though.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Gundam 0083 dvd set has dropped to $24.99 new.:D
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

evagelion is much better then gundam wing. gundam is kool but story lacks and is predicitable.

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

The Evangelion series is a huge roller-coaster of emotional and complex characters. They all have issues and it goes far beyond mood swings. It provides a nice mix of mecha action along with some religious content and deep philosophical questions to add to the stew. Early on, their are some laughs, but later there is a lot of loss, and character issues of self-doubt, finding meaning/motivation, the essence of life, happiness, etc. It is definitely for mature audiences as there is no way that it would ever be shown on Toonami, Adult Swim, or anything else on Cartoon Network.

Gudam Wing...well...it is Gundam Wing... a classic in its own right yet highly commercial (for better or for worse).
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Lupin[lvl]
Gentleman Thief
Gentleman Thief

Re: Evangelion Question...

Post by Lupin[lvl] »

Tank-X wrote:Is spending ~$150-200 for the Evangelion series worth it? (Box set and hopefully that movie w/the alternate ending). I'm trying to decide which to buy......Gundam Wing Box, or Evangelion box......

Evangelion is good at best. It is average in general. the first 10 episodes are spent trying to figure out what they're going to do with the story, not developing the characters, the story, or in fact, anything except adding the occasional angel to fight.

then finally in the second half of the series the plot starts moving along and so do the characters, building up well although the series still provides little more then angsty intravert shinji battling with what he should do and staring-at-the-wall-rei waiting to be figured out.

it eventually builds up to all the answers and then in a spastic fit of retardedness completely throws the last two episodes out the window and goes on a trip of gibberish line drawing and wishful psycho babble. you are left wondering just what the hell got into their heads for the last episodes. while most people were happy to believe it was extremely deep and meaningful, fishing all sorts of answers out of it, in truth, they just made a complete bollocks of it, using the movie death & rebirth to rewrite what actually happened, giving a brand new final two episodes (which i will call 25B and 26B) to cover over the nonsense they strung people along with at the end of the series.

but wait, they didnt give us the final two episodes, they just give you the retelling of the whole series in a nonsensical manner, and 25B, stringing you along for yet another movie, End of Evangelion, which is the 25B and the final 26B.

if you want to watch the series for the story, it would be most suitable to watch 1 to 24, then end of eva. if you want to watch it to understand what people are on about when they are trying to find a lot more meaning in the drunken mess that the rest provides, watch it all.

if all the mess was to be forgiven it is a good series, it is certianly no more mature then other anime of its ilk, other then its BBFC Rating, and there are definetly more enjoyable, sensical and intentionally mature series out there