pc upgrade

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

pc upgrade

Post by zero »

hi, i'm getting my pc upgraded to an amd 2000+ ghz, with over 500mbs ram, and a geforce4 ti 6400 gfx card( i think thats right) for about 700 euros. what i wanna know if you think that would be a good spec for the price?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

That sounds good to me.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Not sure what that amount means in U.S. Dollars. If its anything near $700 dollars that is way too much.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Veggita2099 wrote:Not sure what that amount means in U.S. Dollars. If its anything near $700 dollars that is way too much.
1 euro = 1 US dollar (pretty much)

The Euro was based on the US Dollar so the exchange rate is almost identical.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Kasumi
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Kasumi »

Yeah, I think $700 is a little overpriced, I'm sure you can find better deals :?
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

i'm gonna forget about the gfx card for now. so it's gonna cost me $180 for the amd2000+. and $150 for the motherboard but it's a real good motherboard. and then i'm getting a cool new tower that's gonna cost me around $70, and a new sb aodigy sound card for $20 so that comes to a total of $420. but thats real low over here you should see the price of some of the things. for me to get a pc over here with the same spec as that would cost me around $1500.
Orangey_
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Orangey_ »

If you lived in U.S. that would run about $390 shipped from newegg.com, but I see that you live in Ireland. I dont really know of any shops in the UK.
Leader of AOE 2 and AOM Gaming Clan _AgerZ_
http://agerz.spydar.com

Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

zero why not just get a ferry over to the mainland & get your new PC that way?, Ireland always gets hammered on prices for some reason, or just go to a computer fair and get your bits cheap.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I cant recommend computer fairs enough - I got myself a Pentium 4 2.4GHz with 40GB HDD, DVD Rom, GeForce 4 MX 440 and 256 DDR Ram for about ?475.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

zero wrote:i'm gonna forget about the gfx card for now. so it's gonna cost me $180 for the amd2000+. and $150 for the motherboard but it's a real good motherboard. and then i'm getting a cool new tower that's gonna cost me around $70, and a new sb aodigy sound card for $20 so that comes to a total of $420. but thats real low over here you should see the price of some of the things. for me to get a pc over here with the same spec as that would cost me around $1500.
That looks about right.

Can you get sb audigy cards for 20 bucks all the time? If so can you tell me where? Or are you getting one of those rare deals on it?
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

im getting it done off a fella i know, he runs a computer shop, so he is just giving me the sound blaster for 20 over getting the rest of the stuff off him. and i'll be getting another new pc for $200 to $300, off this guy i know, won't say no names. but he deals in hot stuff and things like that. i really only got to know him a few days ago, to bad i didn't get to know him before i got the other fellow to get the parts for my pc for me. but the pc ill be getting off the other lad will be worth around $2500 so i'd say it would be pretty powerfull. but i'll get to test it before i buy.
xxlenigma
Wanker
Wanker

Re: pc upgrade

Post by xxlenigma »

zero wrote:hi, i'm getting my pc upgraded to an amd 2000+ ghz, with over 500mbs ram, and a geforce4 ti 6400 gfx card( i think thats right) for about 700 euros. what i wanna know if you think that would be a good spec for the price?
Sounds like you got a winner there, that is if I am converting your money to american the right way.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: pc upgrade

Post by Hawq »

zero wrote:hi, i'm getting my pc upgraded to an amd 2000+ ghz, with over 500mbs ram, and a geforce4 ti 6400 gfx card( i think thats right) for about 700 euros. what i wanna know if you think that would be a good spec for the price?
Well in real money it's ?438.15 so thats not too bad.

zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

it's not even gonna cost me as much as what i thought.
he is giving me the amd 1800+( he said i would really notice defference, but i'd save myself money) for $130. he is giving me a new tower (was $70) but he is giving it to me for ?30. the sound card for $20, a new fan for $12. the new mother board $130 he sells the ram for $40 for 128mb.
and he is gonna install win xp pro version on it for me.
so the total for it all is $362. so i think that thats not bad.

so that means my new spec will be

amd1800+
tnt 2 64mb gfx card.
256mb ram
cd rom 52x
cd rw 2x1x16x
4usb ports
20gb hd
soundblaster aodigy sound card.

so do ya all think that will be a good system for playing games on?.
and tell me what else ye all think i should get to make it even better for games. will it should be done on monday then i'm gonna play all my pc games on it all over again :D
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Except for the graphics card, yes. There's nothing wrong with the TNT2 cards. Up untill two weeks ago, I used one. However, your CPU will be sitting idle while the graphics card is rendering stuff, so your games will not run as fast as they can.

On an 800HMz Athlon with a TNT2 M64 card, Starsiege Tribes runs FASTER in software mode than hardware mode. With a GeForce 2, hardware is much faster than software...
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

yea maybe i might pick up a new gfx card something cheap, anyone know any good ones that i might be able to get.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

The GF4 TI4200's are quite good and perform very much like the mid range TI4400 from all accounts, they're not that expensive for a GF4 either at around ?130 - ?150 or so.

AgentQ
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

nope

Post by AgentQ »

your getting jipped my friend dont do it
A wise man once said "IF you build it, well good for you."
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Tell him to change it back to the Athlon 2000, there's only like a $25 difference. And the CD-rw is crap. 2x1x16? It's probably a USB one and that might be why it's so slow. It's cheaper to buy a fast internal CD-rw, than it is to buy a slow external cd-rw.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

the upgrade is already done, so it's to late to get him to change it back now, but no matter cos i ended up getting an extra 128mb ram for nothing. and the cd rw didn't come with it, it's just an old one that i had, still works good. but i'm not gonna get a new cdrw drive, i'm gonna save up and get a new dvdr drive. what i wanna know is will a dvdr drive still burn cdr's. or will it just burn dvd's?.