Chex Quest for Dreamcast!

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheDumbAss »

I beleave it was Wolf3d that was on the cd cover about 6months ago... I got it. I got Duke3d last year the same way.

I dont think Quake has been a cover cd game yet.

As for the link to that popular abandonwarez site... I think having that link up is sketchy at best. Especially since the game would fall under the same catagory of a cover cd.
underdogs wrote: Okay, so the game isn't really "freeware," since you do need to buy cereal to play it... but hey, I'm sure everyone loves Chex cereal anyway ;)
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Puckman wrote: ok then wuake is free also cause it came free with the pc games magazine that was on the front page of dcemu a couple months ago so y not host it for download here.
A)Magazines pay fees to the developer to distribute pay software in their magazines.::Eye Roll::

B)Quake did not have a "please pass this on to a friend" sticker on it

C)Quake 1-3 are selling in a "Quake Collection" for $30.00 at YOUR local Hicks-R-US, or my Babbages
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

The site linked to Chex's Quest also contains add-on's , sorta like sequels. Maybe those would work if you merged them or something.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Merging them shouldn't be too hard with the help of Wintex. I plan to merge them, then put them on a DI disc with Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, and all my other homebrew stuff.
DoomDan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DoomDan »

underdogs wrote: Okay, so the game isn't really "freeware," since you do need to buy cereal to play it... but hey, I'm sure everyone loves Chex cereal anyway ;)
the game isnt freeware but it is most definetly abandonware so its ok to download. im sure general mills definitely doesnt care about the game. heck, they might not even remember it. they r also not the ones who made it either, they just included it with their cereal.
Puckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Puckman »

DoomDan wrote:
the game isnt freeware but it is most definetly abandonware so its ok to download. im sure general mills definitely doesnt care about the game. heck, they might not even remember it. they r also not the ones who made it either, they just included it with their cereal.
so samething with quake like hh said u have to buy the magazine to get the free game. so for this game u have to buy the cerial or it isnt free its still considered warez but who cares everything is warez these days. heck even the webbrowser on this site is warez but who cares im editiing it to get saves to load off a cd so hope it works
Life Sux and you know it.
goldberg28115
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by goldberg28115 »

Here are the links for Chex Quest 1, 2, and 3. On the site it says they are FREEWARE. I tested chex quest 1 and it works great. I will test 2 and 3 to see if they work.

links removed

GOLDBERG is comming to the WWE
Last edited by goldberg28115 on Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Puckman wrote:
DoomDan wrote:
so samething with quake like hh said u have to buy the magazine to get the free game. so for this game u have to buy the cerial or it isnt free its still considered warez but who cares everything is warez these days. heck even the webbrowser on this site is warez but who cares im editiing it to get saves to load off a cd so hope it works
You just don't get it do you? :roll:
IT'S NOT WAREZ!
A magazine and a cereal box are quite different.

And it isn't possible to load saves off a CD via the web browser. It's been tryed by one of this sites ex admins.
It's thinking...
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Wait.. you mean that Chex Quest is a mod released for.. Doom? On a cereal box?

That is strange.
goldberg28115
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by goldberg28115 »

I was unable to get chex quest 2 and 3 to work by renaming them to doom.wad . Maybe someone else know how to make them work.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Just for the note, I am not going to delete this post, it is a freaking Cereal company people, I highly doubt they give a crap, besides, the offer is waaaaayyyy over, and that old cereal ain't nothing but stale by now. :)

If someone is really really really concerned, feel free to write the company and get an OK, and if they ask that we not distribute it here, then send me a PM, I'll delete the message then. Wouldn't want a cereal company after dcemu now would we?!?!?! :)

P.S. So does this really work with DCDOOM? I have not tested it yet.
Speeddemon
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Speeddemon »

Dont underestimate the power of the CeREAL company when they milk your cat :P
P|-|33r |\/|3 B147C|-|!!!
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

goldberg28115 wrote:I was unable to get chex quest 2 and 3 to work by renaming them to doom.wad . Maybe someone else know how to make them work.
Chex Quest 2 and 3 are add-ons for Chex Quest 1, meaning you need to merge them with Wintex. I can't explain to you how to do that right now, but ask around, you will be able to make all 3 of them into one big wad file. CQ 2 and 3 are PWADS. CQ1, Doom 1, Doom 2, etc. are IWADS. IWADS can be played on DC.

And XDelusion, someone made an .SBI for it so it probably works. I'm going to burn it in just a few minutes. I'll confirm it for sure.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

EvilN wrote:B)Quake did not have a "please pass this on to a friend" sticker on it
Important fact here! This means that they were encouraging people to pass it around. Any why not? The idea was that it's more-or-less free advertising. It doesn't matter if we pass it around by hand, by copying the disc, or over the net. They asked us to do it!

Anyway, it should work on the DC. It doesn't require a modified executable, and the thing's no more complex than Doom, so it should be OK. It might be a good idea to get a modified DCDoom that loads from the Chex Quest WAD instead of the Doom one, so we could have both on one CD. Or even have Chex Quest 1, 2 and 3, along with Doom and it's variants.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Please remove the links above.

I just downloaded it and ran it using the supplied EXE. Fine. Then I ran it using Doom95 that came with my Ultimate Doom CD, and I think we have a problem. The Chex Quest WAD is actually the Ultimate Doom WAD with a load of stuff changed. It has the whole of episodes 2 through 4 (with different textures), and could be merged with Doom Shareware to produce the Ultimate Doom WAD file.

So... Chex Quest may be OK, but the WAD contains data from Doom. I'm currently downloading Chex Quest 2 and 3, and I'm going to strip all of the Doom content from the WAD (not too hard, I've done it before), rebuild the wad using ONLY Chex Quest data, and try to post it somewhere.
goldberg28115
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by goldberg28115 »

That would be cool if you could get chex quest 2 and 3 to work. When you do let us know so we could download it.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Well, if they said pass it to your friends, it is definatly ok, they said so. And my kitty still gets milk too! :)
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ok I can believe this now, I took the time (my DC is acting up, keeps asking for date?!?!) to load up DOOM95 to see if by renaming the WAD file to DOOM.WD if it would work, and it did amazingly enough, have not tested all levels, but so far so good, though I loaded up Wintex and saw that files such as WIMAP2 were still there in there DOOM form (guess cereal companies get lazy?) so these will need to be altered to make this fully legal. You will not want to remove them completely though, as we might still need them for the future, so I am going to just blank them out for now, just to be on the safe side.

Now the next step is of course TC's and MOD's. With this legal WAD file we should now be able to create our own DOOM projects, and make full legal ISO images of them to be downloadable from the net, I am going to look and see if there is a DOOM editor out there that will allow this WAD to be used as a main wad file, or perhaps see if DOOM 1 MOD's are loadable ontop of this. I have loaded this up as a PWAD in Legacy and it ran pretty well, though I got a few mirror effects going on, so I will see if I can fix that, and get it ported over propper there as well.

Anyhow, when I get the chance I'll post back and let you all in on what I have found, in the mean time... Happy Doo....
err um.. Chexing. :?
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

No! Wait! DON'T BURN THAT .SBI! The fool who made the .SBI used the old version of DooMDC and didn't do a very good job of placing the .wad file. I burnt it and didn't get it to work, so if you wanna play Chex Quest with DreamInducer, do it yourself, or wait for another .SBI.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

[Good idea, but I don't feel the need to remove the wad. ]

Umm, what are you talking about?!?! :) I am not going to remove the WAD, just some of the graphic files and what not that belong to DOOM, actually I am not removing them, just blanking them out as they are not used, and as to not corrupt the WAD any by mistake.

Anyhow I am working on it now, dunno if I'll get through all of it tonight or not, but I have started so... :)