Bleem open source

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
PIRHANA.A
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bleem open source

Post by PIRHANA.A »

I am rather puzzled why seeing as Bleem went under they never released the source code to the Bleem emulator for everyone to have a look at and possibly even continue working on. It isn't like it can be used to make money any longer.

I wonder who now is in posession of the source code. Would it be possible to contact them and ask for it to be released to the public. With such great programs such as DreamSNES and DC DivX it would be nice to have a PSX emulator as well. The Bleem source would make a good starting point.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

It isn't like it can be used to make money any longer.
Rand could port it to Xbox :P
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I don't think Microsoft would let him port it to Xbox. Because, Microsoft has an army of programmers, that could do the job for cheaper, and Microsoft makes more money from it.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
PIRHANA.A
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by PIRHANA.A »

Yeah sure and get their ass sued by Sony. Ain't gonna happen. Any homebrew software requires a mod chip in the Xbox anyway. I'm not letting anyone near mine.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DuffMan wrote:I don't think Microsoft would let him port it to Xbox. Because, Microsoft has an army of programmers, that could do the job for cheaper, and Microsoft makes more money from it.
...and how would they stop him ?
It's thinking...
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

I think that Sony bought the code from Rand...
PIRHANA.A
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by PIRHANA.A »

Damn Sony. I hear they did the same thing with that other PSX emulator. The Connectix one. Whatever that was called.
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

PIRHANA.A wrote:Damn Sony. I hear they did the same thing with that other PSX emulator. The Connectix one. Whatever that was called.
I've heard the same story.

The deal was, Sony finally pulled out of the long court battle with Connectix, the makers of Virtual Game Station for Mac and PC.

Well, long story short, the rumor is, Sony approached Connectix afterwards and offered a deal to license the Connectix source and use it on the Xbox for use with Sony games. The premise was, the the Xbox's architecture offers better cohesion with a PC>Xbox VGS port.

I reckon the point of such a deal, if infact it's real, is to relieve the Sony warehouses and shelves of the countless PS1 games that are bargain binned at 10 bux and up. Clearing off that shelf space means it can be restocked with new PS2 product, since most business2business deals are comprised on shelve space and product placement (Toys R Us etc.)
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I thought sony's problem with VGS was that it used the PSX bios.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

By the way, bleemcast could never be ported to another system unless it was just bleem itself, since bleemcast uses SH4 ASM, not x86 asm.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

ZacMc wrote:I thought sony's problem with VGS was that it used the PSX bios.
That was their fight in court, but I think the real reason was because they simply didn't want it emulated, just like bleem!/bleemcast!.
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Sony Boss Dude wrote:What? Someone's released an emulator for the PlayStation? Two of them? How? That can not be!

This must be stopped! But how?

Aha! It must be illegal because, erm... Well, we can't say that it's illegal because we don't want it to be legal. What's a good excuse... They must have used stolen Sony documents, designs and source code! And they must be using a stolen BIOS! That must be it! Nobody can possibly be smart enough the reverse-engineer our marvelous machine, and replicate the BIOS functions, and write an emulator for it, without all that stolen knowledge! That MUST be it!

Even if we're wrong, we can make them give up by taking them to court every day for 50 years. And we have better lawyers than them. We can't lose!
Seriously, I think Sony were just afraid that they'd loose money from Bleem! and VGS being on sale, despite the fact that they claim to make no money out of the hardware. Excessive corporate paranoia and Microsoftian tactics, by the sound of it. They basically threw money and expensive lawyers at the problem until it either went away, or they could buy it and bury it.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

yeah their argument with bleem was that it degraded their name.. or something like that.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

It also plays backups.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

anal=probe wrote:It also plays backups.
that's ONLY because Sony wouldn't let them use the code to prevent it from playing backups.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

well vgs is still available in market

but it's crap it doesn't innhense graphics
mrinsulto
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mrinsulto »

this is what i would of done if i was the one who made bleem. before going under, i would get back at sony by making the emu open source and declare it free ware for all to use as they wish. this would of got sony very angry and there would be nothing they could of done about it. :twisted:
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

yeah except they know who made it, Rand, and they could have sued him more.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

hes keeping it in case he can make more money

Post by reaper2k2 »

he could of given it to a cracking group iam sure then he could said some one some how stole it
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: hes keeping it in case he can make more money

Post by 404NotFound »

reaper2k2 wrote:he could of given it to a cracking group iam sure then he could said some one some how stole it
yeah he could have said that, but they could have found proof... and if he actually did realease it and said he didn't then they could say that he was neglegent in protecting his software.