Quake DC legality issues

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Quake DC legality issues

Post by Swiss_Cheeseman »

You do realise that the version of Quake DC that you have is most likely illegal. It was made using a non open version of the quake source code, and compiled/developed with wince dev tools.
Sifn't compact sigs
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Here's the deal. The guys that wrote it don't care, and id software doesn't care. For it to actually violate copyright laws, or licensing agreements, one of those two parties would have to object. It's the one area of the law where it's not actually a crime until prosecuted.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

And where all happy for it. :)
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Re: Quake DC legality issues

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Swiss_Cheeseman wrote:You do realise that the version of Quake DC that you have is most likely illegal. It was made using a non open version of the quake source code, and compiled/developed with wince dev tools.
No its not.

The source code for Titanium Studios port of Quake was freely available to everyone who had a sega development kit on their "developers channel" - how is that a "non open version"? the fact that source was compiled and released without source included doesn't automatically make it illegal you know.

For the record, you can download a free WinCE compiler for PocketPC which includes SH4 as an output target platform from microsofts website so the fact its made in WinCE doesnt make it illegal either.

We're not going to be accusing Sintendo, Boob!boy, DreamSpec and GypPlay of being illegal any time soon either.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

oh i see

Post by reaper2k2 »

its only illegal when you feel like it

i see how things work now if i dev my 3d rpg in wince

will you say its illegal

iam only dev it for winx9 pc now but i could dev it for dreamcast if i used wince

when the pc version is finshed ill give the source may be some one can port it.........
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
Sub Woofer
DCEmu Cop
DCEmu Cop

Post by Sub Woofer »

Trust me, we've had this conversation before.

Originally it contained the full version of Quake (many a moons ago) and we were requested by ID Software to remove it, which we did with no quams.
After awhile, some bright individual learnt how to distribute it with the Quake shareware files, which I beleive was discussed with ID Software at one point, who said it was ok.

So, there you go. Illegal? no.

Just quit trying to make a fuss about everything and have fun!, thats what this site is here for.

Spiderman! Spiderman! Friendy Neighbourhood Spiderman!
Spins a web... any size..... catches thiefs, just like flies!
WATCH OUT... here comes the Spiderman!
JellyWarrior
General Jelly
General Jelly

Post by JellyWarrior »

I thought Quake 1 and Quake 2's source code was released. So wouldnt that make it legal to port Quake 1 & 2?
I am involved in : Mytalk | Comet TV | Distinctive Web Services
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

"The source code for Titanium Studios port of Quake was freely available to everyone who had a sega development kit on their "developers channel" - how is that a "non open version"? the fact that source was compiled and released without source included doesn't automatically make it illegal you know.

For the record, you can download a free WinCE compiler for PocketPC which includes SH4 as an output target platform from microsofts website so the fact its made in WinCE doesnt make it illegal either"

Ok, for one . . . look, Quake is under the GPL liscense, which makes the source legally HAVE to be available. Which it isn't, this alone makes it highly illigal my friend... wheather titanium or id software care . . . . gpl will.

And the free wince compiler for pocketpc which includes SH4.... that doesn't matter, because it still isn't usable for the DC . . i mean, it doesn't have any libs for dc, just compiles for it's architecture. No drivers for any dc hardware, etc... it uses the official wince lib (remember, they are offical developers, they OWN the wince kit, but it's still even illigal to distrobute binaries online... unlicensed. Basicly, quakedc is more illigal then any dc homebrew stuff made with the xdk....
--pSyCo
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

pSyCo wrote:
Ok, for one . . . look, Quake is under the GPL liscense, which makes the source legally HAVE to be available. Which it isn't, this alone makes it highly illigal my friend... wheather titanium or id software care . . . . gpl will.
<snip> Basicly, quakedc is more illigal then any dc homebrew stuff made with the xdk....
The original 'release' of QuakeDC included the source - most places dropped it to save on bandwidth. Source isn't included with every release that source *should* be included with (noticably disk images hosted by major sites) because its pointless to make people with no interest in the source have to download extra stuff they have no need / desire for.

It meets the GPL because source *IS* available for those licenced developers who want it - Titanium Studios never broke any law by downloading warezed dev kits did they?

I fail to see how a legally made product using a purchased devlopment kit that was leaked is "more illegal" than software made using *stolen* development tools. Maybe if you're a hypocrite it is. :roll:

For future reference:

The fact that *you* cannot get the source does not mean it is not freely available to *licenced* devlopers - giving it to unlicenced developers is exactly the same as giving them large parts of a commercially available product (the Dreamcast SDK) - it clearly meets the 'spirit' of GPL (as it was originally released as a 'demo' to PC publishers to show how they could get stuff converted to dC quickly) even if it doesnt meet the letter.

"xdk" is an Xbox development kit not a dreamcast one - try and keep in tune with the DC scene :roll:

Most companies will care more about people using stolen development tools than not strictly following the letter of the GPL licence - that is why MAME-X etc for xbox are *warez* and arent hosted by reputable Xbox emulation sites.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

Here's an easy one. The GPL license is only for people that only get the GPL license. id Software does offer other licenses for the Quake 1 source. Their basic option is a full use license for $10,000. Heck, that one is even mentioned on their site.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

really

Post by reaper2k2 »

all i can say is who cares we all got it we use it no ones puting us in jail

end of story lets make lots of mods for it use it as a easyer dev system

thats better then the illegal thing again the ip bin is illegal makes all home brew illegal but who cares

use it play it put it in your games cupboard like i do :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: really

Post by 999 »

reaper2k2 wrote:all i can say is who cares we all got it we use it no ones puting us in jail

end of story lets make lots of mods for it use it as a easyer dev system

thats better then the illegal thing again the ip bin is illegal makes all home brew illegal but who cares

use it play it put it in your games cupboard like i do :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
"," "." <-- I take it you don't need those much in programming? ;)
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

moved to

FPS Discussion
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
spaceboy100
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by spaceboy100 »

yada yada yada...
evey so often someone comes over and says this stuff...

Didnt ID write to the site and say that so long as it was only distributed with the shareware paks they didn't mind?

Plus this site is *very* legal-consious, believe me, and if there was something here that shouldnt be then they would remove it before you could say 'S?gaG?n' and you would be banned from even talking about it.

So try and stay calm about it.
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Yes, the quake source was GPLed

But this isnt the GPLed quake source. And there is no source to go with it, therefore making it borderline illegal.

Sorry, meant WinCE runtime binaries.
Sifn't compact sigs
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Although a little off topic, I emailed Todd Hollenshead (the ceo of id software), and I asked him whether it would be possible to see something like an Id Anthology on the PS2 or what about porting Quake 2 to the Dreamcast to be sold as a budget title. He told me that 1) it is too risky of an investment as the Dreamcast is commercially dead and 2) there isn't a market for it (a possible Id Anthology for the PS2). Thus, if even id software doesn't even care about even making some easy money on an idea that they even think would fail commercially, why would they even bother with someone or some entity interested in a homebrew port? The only thing that I can think of is that I am thankful that we've got Quake DC, and I hope, pray, and even would pay for Quake 2, Hexen 2, or even Heretic 2 for the Dreamcast.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Swiss_Cheeseman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

As soon as the GPL GLQuake port is done for the DC, i would recommend getting rid of the Ti Studios port.
Sifn't compact sigs
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Until requested by ID, I see no reason at all as to why they should remove the TI port of Quake. It's tested, it works, and removing it is pointless. Get over it, Swiss.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

The GPL status of TS's port is a red herring in relation to the legality of the software.
TS have fullfilled there obligations to the GPL liscense.
That it's avaliable here without a source code also, is not their responsibility.
They neither support it's avaliability nor request it's removal.
Similarly, Id do likewise.
Microsoft could if they wished demand the removal of the WinCE files from the download. Until then.........

I agree in part with Swiss_Cheeseman 's view that once the wip GlQuake port is completed the TS one should be consigned to history. However if it struggles with Raptors! r_speed-unfriendly maps then I might reconsider.
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

like i siad

Post by reaper2k2 »

it has then wince folder

it should be removed but its only .......illegal when there no better one to replace it is what ppl are saying

great sounds great ill apply that to every software i download from now on

its borderline illegal is more the right word for it

but i dont care and no c it dont matter how neat your code is it dont make ant diffrents ............. since i dont type much but code i really......dont care were my dots or caps are