Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Not exactly a new game... but after several years of having to settle for other things, I finally (at long last) got an iPhone. It will open the door to many new games, amongst other things.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Not exactly a new game... but after several years of having to settle for other things, I finally (at long last) got an iPhone. It will open the door to many new games, amongst other things.
Have fun! It's one of my favourite ever gaming devices - there's almost always at least one thing worth picking up every Thursday when the App Store updates and mobile platforms are currently home to some of the most unique and inventive gaming experiences out there.

Be careful though, even though 99 cents is nothing for a game, it turns out that the banks reckon 200 x Nothing is $198. :o
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:Be careful though, even though 99 cents is nothing for a game, it turns out that the banks reckon 200 x Nothing is $198. :o
Heh... very true.

I already had a first-generation iPod Touch, so I do currently have some games for the platform. (I haven't been able to buy anything for it recently, as it only supports iOS 3, but I picked up a game here and there for it until a year or two ago when support was discontinued.) I also have a $50 iTunes gift card lying around somewhere, if I can find it. (I bought it a year ago, because I had a Safeway coupon to get a $50 iTunes card for $30.) I will have to buy all new docks and such, though, as they changed the damn connector.

Currently in the process of hunting for a case. I really like the BookBook, but it's only available in leather, and even the cheap knockoffs seem to incorporate some amount of leather. I'm currently looking at a wallet-style case that's made out of cork: http://www.queork.com/iPhone-5-Wallet-C ... u-iph5.htm
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:Be careful though, even though 99 cents is nothing for a game, it turns out that the banks reckon 200 x Nothing is $198. :o
Heh... very true.

I already had a first-generation iPod Touch, so I do currently have some games for the platform. (I haven't been able to buy anything for it recently, as it only supports iOS 3, but I picked up a game here and there for it until a year or two ago when support was discontinued.) I also have a $50 iTunes gift card lying around somewhere, if I can find it. (I bought it a year ago, because I had a Safeway coupon to get a $50 iTunes card for $30.) I will have to buy all new docks and such, though, as they changed the damn connector.

Currently in the process of hunting for a case. I really like the BookBook, but it's only available in leather, and even the cheap knockoffs seem to incorporate some amount of leather. I'm currently looking at a wallet-style case that's made out of cork: http://www.queork.com/iPhone-5-Wallet-C ... u-iph5.htm
While we're at it... Infinity Blade 2, Badland, Tiny Wings, Sword & Sworcery and Where's my Water are all FREE right now. It's for the App Store 5th anniversary so I'd download that shizzle before the prices go back. They're all brilliant.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'll have to look into that when I get home. Badlands and Infinity Blade 2 are both on my running list of "games to get eventually." (I'd prefer to download at home on my wifi network, because while my data plan is technically unlimited, it gets throttled for the rest of the month after 2.5GB. I'm not likely to pass that limit in normal web use, but IB2 is almost half that on its own.)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Did you play Sword and Sworcery before? If not, look into it. It's a superb yet bizarre point and click style adventure game.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Not games per se, but snagged these...
segaconfidentialdiscs.jpg
On the left, Dreamcast SYSTEM-DISC 2. This disc disables the Dreamcast's copy protection scheme, so that GD-Rs can be played on a retail Dreamcast unit. Yes, the Dreamcast had copy protection (that's what the special ring with the holographic text is on the bottom of the disc). Had the MIL-CD exploit never existed on the Dreamcast, this disc could be used to boot pirate GDs (which, obviously, don't exist because the MIL-CD exploit does exist). The original SYSTEM-DISC was a similar disc for the Sega Saturn. This disc cannot be duplicated or pirated onto a MIL-CD because its secret lies not in its software, but in its special holographic ring that signals to the GD-ROM drive to stop checking for rings while the console is powered on. Thus this disc does not need to be booted to function, it only needs to be inserted and removed. Developers would test their code on a retail Dreamcast by burning their prototype game to a GD-R and then booting that GD-R with this disc. Very useful in dumping GD-Rs. Sega Confidential disc. Picked this one up for $160.

On the right, the Dreamcast Middleware Conference Demo Disc Part 2. This is a GD-ROM that shows off the functionality capable of the Dreamcast's SDK. Full of little demos demonstrating the Dreamcast's capabilities. Another Sega Confidential disc. Picked this one up for $140, still sealed (but I unsealed it).
dcversuscable.jpg
Official Dreamcast Versus cable, CIB. For linking two Dreamcasts together via serial port. This cable is extremely rare. Even the third party unreliable Dragoncast versus cables are more common than this one. Picked it up for $99.
odcms.jpg
Both Dreamcast Generator sampler GD-ROMs and a complete set of ODCM GD-ROMs. Picked up for $40. I am now only missing the Sept. 1999 ODCM PC CD-ROM disc, which someone is generously donating to me soon.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

You're aiming for a complete set, aren't you? Everything ever released for the system.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Software-wise, I've just started a collection of everything that was released in English regions (i.e. all USA games, plus the handful of PAL games that weren't released in the USA). On top of that, I plan on picking up Japanese releases that I think are notable, exceptional, or interesting in some way, like games that had their own hardware (like Densha De Go) or just plain cool (Segagaga).

Every GD I get I am dumping and submitting its hashes to Dumpcast or verifying that my discs' sectors are 100% readable by comparing existing hashes in the Dumpcast/TOSEC database. I'm marking it on a spreadsheet and placing the game, manual, and insert in a brand new jewel case, which I have sourced and purchased in bulk with the Sega-style disc tray.

Hardware-wise, I've just been picking up rare or cool shit as I see it. I haven't really decided what I want to do there as collecting hardware CIB is expensive and difficult and even much more of a pain in the ass if I want to have all the boxes match (i.e. same region and same box style/revision). I will likely just get one of everything regardless of whether it comes in the box (as long as it's in good condition) or box style.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Man, I wish there was an English translation of SeGaGaGa. I know there was a project a while back to translate it, but I don't think they ever finished.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I bought four copies of Rise of the Triad 2013.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Nice pickup darc. I got vs cables from a few years back from an Arcade machine parts shop online for quite cheap. I played Virtual On with my best friend a few times with it, its a blast. Though I really needed a second twin stick set to have more of a complete expierence. If you ever have another Sega nerd to play virtual on with on two machines, nothing matches it!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

on the wii u e shop i bought new super luigi u and donkey kong.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Runner 2 - Nintendo eshop
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Earthbound - Nintendo eShop

And if you have a Wii U, you must do the same.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:Earthbound - Nintendo eShop

Fantastic game, although Mother 3 just edges it for me. I wish Nintendo would stop fannying around and put console games on the 3DS eshop instead of just Gameboy and Gameboy Color. Right now I'm stuck emulating.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I really don't understand why Nintendo has been so weird about the Mother series in the US.

Incidentally, if you're a (well-heeled) diehard fan, you can always get this very nice unofficial Eartbound Zero (Mother 1) NES cart:

http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/repro-games.html

Anyway, I just got Vice City for my iPhone. The controls are a little off (as can be expected with touch controls), but it was $5 and it gives me something to do on an upcoming plane trip.

Also got Retro City Rampage for PS3, now that the PS3 version has been updated with the previously Wii-exclusive features (expanded color palette and the ROM from the original NES incarnation) and is currently on sale for half price. Only 30 minutes in, and this game is already ridiculous.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

meh. i can play it on an emulator for half the price.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Smiley wrote:

meh. i can play it on an emulator for half the price.
It costs you $5 to play it on an emulator?

And that's not the point. Nintendo has block every single opportunity to release this or any other Mother game in the US, claiming lack of support. Declining to purchase it just because you can emulate it is proving them right.
Specially Cork wrote:Fantastic game, although Mother 3 just edges it for me. I wish Nintendo would stop fannying around and put console games on the 3DS eshop instead of just Gameboy and Gameboy Color. Right now I'm stuck emulating.
I agree, Mother 3 is one of the greatest RPG's of our time, and the fact that only a very limited group will ever get to play it makes me extremely sad.

As for console games on the 3DS, it does have NES games. And while SNES games would be nice, I doubt it will happen considering they can't even get a decent-sized catalog of games for the Wii U, despite having a ton of games on the Wii. It's just silly that we have to wait for them to slowly trickle out Wii U support for VC games we already own.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Incidentally, if you're a (well-heeled) diehard fan, you can always get this very nice unofficial Eartbound Zero (Mother 1) NES cart:

http://www.rosecoloredgaming.com/repro-games.html
That site is interesting. They sell custom backlit GBA's and the backlight kits that have been out of stock everywhere for years. AND Micro faceplates! I'm so ordering that Zelda one!