Jobs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Thomas
Thomas
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jobs

Post by Thomas »

@pixel: Every company has a designated area in which they cover, at least in my office (we are all independent to an extent, so we all operate a bit different). If company A has a problem they call us and we call another company, we try either a back-up company (who has no area) or the next closest one that we know knows how to handle the situation. If you have any problems at all, always contact the Supervisor of the AAA office you called. It's the easiest route, since they act a go between and are usually there to make you happy.

That said, my office sucks. We have no companies in certain areas right now during certain hours, so sometimes I have to tell people we can't help them. It's really frustrating, and I always tell them to call and complain to my manager so he can fix the situation, but it never seems to do any good.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

pixel wrote:Apparently, the first moron that showed up has a grunge against Company Z and the fact its the licensed tow company for the city.
I bet he goes smashing pumpkins on their lawn at night. It probably leaves him in a state of nirvana.

But seriously, today it's almost impossible to get good service. I'd tell you about my experience with mechanics, but to save time let's just say I do most of my car maintenance myself now.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

pixel wrote:I'm borderline retarded when it comes to maintaining proper control of my freaking keys. I'm always locking myself out of my car at the worst times.
I just keep a flat copy of my key hidden in my wallet.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Take home about $2800 a month.

I fix Apple computers.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I currently work for a cable company. I don't like it. Too much stressful overtime, contradictory demands, and stressful work. Something about the job gives me bad headaches too, and I worry about my back as apparently I suck at hefting ladders.

So I'll be quitting soon I think and I have no replacement. I can go a few months on savings but it is a little scary... But right now I often feel like going into a coma would be kind of nice so I feel like quitting is a good idea.

Any new job searching tips? :P
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I SELL FUCKING HEROIN

I MAKE WHAT I MAKE
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Iam a plumber making $32.75 per hour plus bennys and then Iam still playing out in a duo now and I am still getting laid ever other weekend , by a different girl ,and still find time to play video games and all along Iam still doing lots of drugs
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

impetus wrote:Iam a plumber making $32.75 per hour plus bennys and then Iam still playing out in a duo now and I am still getting laid ever other weekend , by a different girl ,and still find time to play video games and all along Iam still doing lots of drugs
ROFL what?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'm about to lose my current job and get a new one, at a retail store. Smaller shifts, but heavier work, and a slightly better payment.

I'm planning on using it to improve my health even more, get a driver's license and maybe rent a house or save the money to invest in something.

I can't get back to coding without having my own place. Doing so would put me back into the hellish life that have always plagued me until recently.

In the worst scenario, it could take me about ten years to buy my own home.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I make around 3k a month as a SA counselor now. I used to bring home a lot more, when I worked my second job. The pay stinks here, but I get free health care for me and my kids.... At least until they cut medicaid's reimbursement rate again. I been lucky so far with work, no long periods of unemployment. I have had to move for work though. That seems to be key now a days being able to follow the jobs.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I just accepted a new position as the executive assistant to the President and COO of a small graduate school here in San Francisco. I had to leave my position with the Santa Cruz school district when we moved here a couple months ago (the commute was just not practical), and the job I thought I had lined up for after the move turned out to be much worse than advertised.

I start on Tuesday, and I'll be earning roughly $38k a year pre-tax, plus benefits. Nothing fancy (it's about the same as I was earning at my previous job), but certainly enough to live comfortably and support my hobbies.
Last edited by DaMadFiddler on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Double-post. Stupid Internet connection keeps dropping out in the middle of things.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Double-post. Stupid Internet connection keeps dropping out in the middle of things.
Congrats on the new job. Perhaps now you can get a better internet connection. :P
Last edited by DanteJay on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

My current job pays R$ 640 a month, which translates to about US$ 12,300 a year.

Also, it's a damn heavy job, and I'm enjoying it. It's making me lose even more weight than I planned, and I can feel myself getting stronger already. I don't know how long I'm going to stay in it, but I only want to stay in it for long enough to finish taking care of my health. And then I want to, somehow, get back to coding and studying.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Wow. You're all receiving such a big salary. My best, on what I can really rely on, in most better case, is about 600-800 baxes a month with a 40 hours-a-week work. For example, an ordinary worker, in our country, such as pizza deliver guy etc., who operate a 50 hours a week receive only 200 baxes a month. Where I live?
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

DanteJay wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Double-post. Stupid Internet connection keeps dropping out in the middle of things.
Congrats on the new job. Perhaps now you can get a better internet connection. :P
Maybe soon. The service we want (Sonic Fusion) hasn't reached our corner of town just yet, we have no interest in cable, and I won't pay AT&T. So we'll continue using the free service we've got (our landlord gives us access to her connection, but since the signal has to pass through from another floor in the building, it drops out a lot) until the fiber network is built out more.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
DanteJay wrote:
Maybe soon. The service we want (Sonic Fusion) hasn't reached our corner of town just yet, we have no interest in cable, and I won't pay AT&T. So we'll continue using the free service we've got (our landlord gives us access to her connection, but since the signal has to pass through from another floor in the building, it drops out a lot) until the fiber network is built out more.
In the mean time, why don't you pickup a wifi repeater to boost the signal? I don't know how that hasn't driven you up the wall. It sometimes happens to our DSL connection at my work office. Whenever it drops out I make Bell send a tech out. In fact, it happened again yesterday afternoon and I made them send a tech out this morning. One time I made them send out 3 different techs in a single week. And I am going to continue to make them do this until they either replace the telephone lines, or bring in the fiber-optic lines.

I Hate Bell...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

DanteJay wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
DanteJay wrote:
In the mean time, why don't you pickup a wifi repeater to boost the signal? I don't know how that hasn't driven you up the wall. It sometimes happens to our DSL connection at my work office. Whenever it drops out I make Bell send a tech out. In fact, it happened again yesterday afternoon and I made them send a tech out this morning. One time I made them send out 3 different techs in a single week. And I am going to continue to make them do this until they either replace the telephone lines, or bring in the fiber-optic lines.

I Hate Bell...
Is there any way to use a standard router as a repeater without having a hard connection? We've got this Time Capsule sitting around, which isn't currently serving any purpose except to wifi-ize our printer.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
DanteJay wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
DanteJay wrote:

I Hate Bell...
Is there any way to use a standard router as a repeater without having a hard connection? We've got this Time Capsule sitting around, which isn't currently serving any purpose except to wifi-ize our printer.
Although it won't work for a Time Capsule, there are many routers you could turn into a wireless repeater or a repeater bridge using DD-WRT (and probably all the other open firmwares).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Starting November I will be an Academic Director, which sounds better than it is. Basically get more money and holiday then spend less time in the classroom and more time in the office, which suits me just fine because teaching kids consumes energy to the point where sitting alone at a desk with a coffee can never feel like hard work. Also getting flown off to Shanghai for training which should be nice.