Happy 25th birthday, NES

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Happy 25th birthday, NES

Post by pixel »

mrandyk wrote: I'm pretty sure that I grew up less than 60 miles away from where you did and the only people I ever knew to own a Genesis (or any Sega console actually) were my cousins who lived in Nebraska. The Genesis was just completely unheard of in my town. I still think Im the only one in this town to ever play one, all my friends make fun of me for playing any Sega console but they are just a bunch of dipshits who have never played any Sega system and are just following the crowd or something. But yea, Nintendo was the only thing anyone owned here.
Yeah, that sounds about right. The majority of people I met through college outside of the Minnehaha/Lincoln County area were big Nintendo fans. A lot of it, I think, is based on the NES. Most families had one in the late eighties, and if they bought a new system, they bought the SNES. There are also a lot of PS2s on the eastern side of the state, as well.

And I'm guessing you're near the Davison County/Mitchell area or Yankton/Clay County area.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

pixel wrote:
mrandyk wrote: I'm pretty sure that I grew up less than 60 miles away from where you did and the only people I ever knew to own a Genesis (or any Sega console actually) were my cousins who lived in Nebraska. The Genesis was just completely unheard of in my town. I still think Im the only one in this town to ever play one, all my friends make fun of me for playing any Sega console but they are just a bunch of dipshits who have never played any Sega system and are just following the crowd or something. But yea, Nintendo was the only thing anyone owned here.
Yeah, that sounds about right. The majority of people I met through college outside of the Minnehaha/Lincoln County area were big Nintendo fans. A lot of it, I think, is based on the NES. Most families had one in the late eighties, and if they bought a new system, they bought the SNES. There are also a lot of PS2s on the eastern side of the state, as well.

And I'm guessing you're near the Davison County/Mitchell area or Yankton/Clay County area.
Yes Clay, I grew up in Vermillion and intend on finishing school here before jumping ship. The Genesis mustve been a really big success in the urban areas. Its pretty impressive that they were able to compete after the stranglehold Nintendo had in the previous generation.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

^ Their games were awesome. Sega's developers were at the height of their creative output. Mega Drive / Genesis games like Golden Axe, Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Phantasy Star II, Castle of Illusion, etc. pp. were absolutely fantastic for 1989 / 1990! You couldn't get anything better at that time.

For 1989 that game is more than epic!
Insane homebrew collector.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

This could help:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :MEBIDX:IT
Lots definitely are the way to go with NES games (especially for me, as I'm getting close to owning all the "must haves"), but I'm too poor to buy that large of one at the moment. Sadly, as that has a lot of good stuff in it.

IIRC, there were like 30 million NESs sold in the USA. There was one for like every 4 or 5 households. While I've no doubt it was way less common in certain areas, I'm amazed anyone old enough to remember the 80s and very early 90s wouldn't have seen them very frequently in the USA.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

lol, posted this in the wrong thread last night

In some topic Mulletman posted about buying Rock Band (way back in 2008 when Obama was running for President):
Eviltaco64X wrote:Go for it.
I mean just Rock Band and the Guitar alone would be around $80/$90 new
Best introduction post ever.