Is there Sega Genesis Emulator for Dreamcast?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Breath Of Fire II
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is there Sega Genesis Emulator for Dreamcast?

Post by Breath Of Fire II »

Hey guys, as you can see I'm a newbie here (not a dummy one either) who's just beginning to burn games for my beloved DC.

So my question is, is there any well functioning emulator for DC that I could use with "Dreamcast Factory" software? If so... could you please direct me where to get it? 8)
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You could try looking at http://www.dcemulation.org

Hope that helps! :)
It's thinking...
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

NesterDC, SMEG, and StellaDC function very well and can be downloaded right from DCFActory.
emuxer001
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by emuxer001 »

I'm answering to the question in the title.
The Genesis emulators are not in this site. There are two, one homebrew and one hack. The homebrew, i think, was removed by request of the author. The hack of DC SmashPack is considered as WAREZ by the site.
Try looking for them at GOOGLE.
I don't know if the hack of DC SmashPack can be used with DC factory but it works fine with the Utopia Boot disc.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

To clear things up.

Genesis Emulators.
There is a the official Sega Smash pack, which is a retail emulator, and you have to purchase.
There is a hack of the Sega Smash Pack, which is illegal and will never be hosted on this site, and no one will give you links to.
There is one still in the works I belive, allthough I havent heard from ATani, the author, for a while, It is called DCGenerator, there was an update not too long ago which fixed many bugs within it.Check on the DCEmu home page for this.

Emulators which can be burned with DCF
If you simply gohere to download DCF, allthough I belive you already have it, make sure you have all available scripts, they are all the emulators possible to be made using this wonderful program.

Be sure to ask any more questions around the site, most people are friendly and willing to help. Welcome to the boards aswell.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Actually if Im not mistaken, the sega smashpack hack was hosted on this site back in the day...
reaper2k2
DC Developer
DC Developer

well

Post by reaper2k2 »

the hacked one is just a port of kgen that sega bought

so its 100% perfect speed but the sound is not that good its ok

the home brew one is really bad it flickers and crashes more times then it works and theres no sound

you got only one to look for and its hard to get to work if your a new person also its a warez hack and you cant ask for it on this board

if you want help email reaper_angel@hotmail.com
http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/dcgames/ *homebrew webbrowser games *

http://r2k2gate.topcities.com *dev site and my releases*
Im' a Commodorian are you?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: well

Post by az_bont »

reaper2k2 wrote:the hacked one is just a port of kgen that sega bought
The PC Sega Smash Pack is, but the DC one was written from scratch by Sega.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Dc Gen is great, there is just the flickering problem.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

Crt0 is working on a megadrive (genesis in europe - since ur a newbie :D) emu as well - he's making one from scratch rather than proting so if you wanted you could wait for that - or you could choose my favourite:
http://www.ebay.com - buy a genesis!
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

arcticfeather wrote:Crt0 is working on a megadrive (genesis in europe - since ur a newbie :D) emu as well - he's making one from scratch rather than proting so if you wanted you could wait for that - or you could choose my favourite:
http://www.ebay.com - buy a genesis!
http://www.amazon.com - Get a brand new, shiny Genesis 3 for $30! (Game Gears are the same price too).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Cutman
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Cutman »

Genesis 3 doesn't work with some games because it's missing a chip thats in the orginal genesis.
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

But you're right, the hacked smash pack runs gensis the best. It's too abd there isn't a legal homebrew version that does the same.
greentalks
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by greentalks »

try dcfatory.cjb.net
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

arcticfeather wrote:Crt0 is working on a megadrive (genesis in europe - since ur a newbie :D)
It was the Mega Drive in Europe (and Japan) and the Genesis in America, not the other way around :D .
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

I think it was called Mega Drive in Japan aswell....why did they change the name around for different regions?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

az_bont wrote:
arcticfeather wrote:Crt0 is working on a megadrive (genesis in europe - since ur a newbie :D)
It was the Mega Drive in Europe (and Japan) and the Genesis in America, not the other way around :D .
You misinterpreted him - He means "MegaDrive is the Genesis, in Europe"
It's thinking...
crt0
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by crt0 »

The name was changed in the US because someone already owned a trademark on the word "megadrive"...
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

|darc| wrote:
az_bont wrote:
You misinterpreted him - He means "MegaDrive is the Genesis, in Europe"
I noticed that after I posted... oh well.

And about the Genesis 3 lacking a certain chip - it will still play over 99% of games. It won't work with Virtua Racing, the MegaCD, the 32X, Action Replay or the Gamegear/SMS (whichever it was) adaptor.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The Genesis3 has every chip that a standard Genesis does. The differences are that the video hardware lacks SMS compatability mode (which is why the SMS converter doesn't work), and there appear to be some connectors missing, both for the CD and the cartridge slot, so games that use custom chips don't work (Virtua Racing, the 32X, Action Replay).

I read somewhere that it had no Z80 coprocessor. If that were true, there would be no sound/music on 99% of games, and most of them wouldn't even boot. I think it was reported as 'missing' because there is no chip labeled 'Z80' on the motherboard - it's actually built into the 68K CPU, probably to make it smaller. My PAL MegaDrive 2 works perfectly with everything I've tried, except the SMS converter. I had to take a hacksaw to the thingy at the back. As long as you didn;t touch it, it worked perfectly.