I think linux might have "broken through" with ubuntu

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: I think linux might have "broken through" with ubuntu

Post by Chilly Willy »

losinggeneration wrote:IIRC all the iMacs I've ever used, mainly at school(s), they've all had (by default) one mouse button.
If you bought from the Apple Store, you could get any NewWorld Mac with multi-button mice (usually a Logitek). If you just went down to Compuserve or bought from MacMall, it probably did come with a Hockey Puck, but you didn't need to use it. I never even unwrapped mine (still in the shipping wrapper). I just used a Logitek... like EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE IN THE WORLD said to. :wink:

Even before Mac moved to USB, there were multi-button mice available. MacOS has supported multiple buttons since OS 9. Before that, some manufacturers made drivers for Macs to allow more than one button even if the OS didn't support it. I don't listen to the opinions of people who actually use a Hockey Puck... if they're that stupid, their opinion is clearly to be ignored. It's not as bad as someone struggling to push open a door that has a sign saying pull, but it's close. :lol:
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

All macs and macbooks should have multi button mice/touchpads. The argument of them being available irritates me. It's like how ubuntu has not changed its windows 95ish theme in forever and people say it doesn't matter as you can download your own theme.......
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Yes, and I sympathize with students stuck on Macs with one button mouse because the school is too cheap/stupid to get multi-button mice for them. If you own a Mac and haven't at least gotten a super-cheap Logitek mouse, what are you waiting for?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Nico0020 wrote:It's like how ubuntu has not changed its windows 95ish theme in forever
:?

Windows 95 looks like this:

Notice that the entire UI only has 16 colours, and that everything is flat, dark gray, and square. Ubuntu looks absolutely nothing like that.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
Been thanked: 0

Post by Code-Red »

Chilly Willy wrote:
losinggeneration wrote:IIRC all the iMacs I've ever used, mainly at school(s), they've all had (by default) one mouse button.
If you bought from the Apple Store, you could get any NewWorld Mac with multi-button mice (usually a Logitek). If you just went down to Compuserve or bought from MacMall, it probably did come with a Hockey Puck, but you didn't need to use it. I never even unwrapped mine (still in the shipping wrapper). I just used a Logitek... like EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE IN THE WORLD said to. :wink:

Even before Mac moved to USB, there were multi-button mice available. MacOS has supported multiple buttons since OS 9. Before that, some manufacturers made drivers for Macs to allow more than one button even if the OS didn't support it. I don't listen to the opinions of people who actually use a Hockey Puck... if they're that stupid, their opinion is clearly to be ignored. It's not as bad as someone struggling to push open a door that has a sign saying pull, but it's close. :lol:
Well, I had planned on ignoring your last few posts (since you are obviously incapable of arguing properly; "APPLES DONT HAVE ONE BUTTON MICE!!!! I AM THE KNOWER OF EVERYTHING" lol), but I figured I'd drop by and add this one little statement:

One-button mice shouldn't even be an option in this day and age (or at the time my iMac G4 was new). That was my peeve with Mac's. Other than that, I have grown to love them. The fact that I would have to buy an additional mouse ALONG WITH my Mac that is in the store, because it doesn't come with a multi-button one is ridiculous. Stating that "anyone sticking with the hockey puck mouse is stupid" is very pompous of you, but then again, I didn't expect much less.

On a side note, I figured out the issue with my laptop and why it was running so slow, so Ubuntu is off, and XP is back on. Couldn't be happier :D. I figure I'll give Linux a try again in another two years......maybe.
Nico0020 wrote:All macs and macbooks should have multi button mice/touchpads. The argument of them being available irritates me. It's like how ubuntu has not changed its windows 95ish theme in forever and people say it doesn't matter as you can download your own theme.......
Actually I really liked the layout and look of Ubuntu, it was very clean and different.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Code-Red wrote:One-button mice shouldn't even be an option in this day and age (or at the time my iMac G4 was new). That was my peeve with Mac's. Other than that, I have grown to love them. The fact that I would have to buy an additional mouse ALONG WITH my Mac that is in the store, because it doesn't come with a multi-button one is ridiculous.
That's a much better argument than just whining about one button. :mrgreen:

Stating that "anyone sticking with the hockey puck mouse is stupid" is very pompous of you, but then again, I didn't expect much less.
I don't think so. You can get (have been able to get) cheap multi-button mice for a long time now. It's not pompous to tell Mac buyers to get a third-party mouse, it's critical advice to make their experience better. If they can't afford a $5 mouse, they shouldn't be buying a Mac in the first place. :lol:
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

losinggeneration wrote:
Ender wrote:The issue (as I see it) is that you have a bunch of people all building components without a unified framework. Great for tinkerers, not so much for people who need apps and processes to work together seamlessly. I will say that *nix has moved forward substantially over the past decade and that's great. It just currently isn't as unified as Mac OS, and it isn't as well supported as Windows. If *nix wants to compete, it needs to do *something* better than everyone else, and tinkering is such a niche that I don't think it's worth marketing.
Interesting, I don't really see having one framework as being detrimental to users. I could see how some people may be put off by it. Not to mention that some users may not be happy of the go with QT/KDE, GTK, wxWidgets, etc since they're wanting the application to look and feel native/unified. So yes, I suppose that could be a problem for some people. Really though, for the developer, once they choice their API (and perhaps framework(s)) and language, they have a pretty good foundation to have their application look and feel unified with the rest of the system.
Just a quick note, Linux does desktop effects better than everyone else IMO (and also from the opinion of a Mac user I work with.) I won't lie though, there are some effects that Linux borrowed (for lack of a better word) from OS X, though I don't think Aero had anything used from it, since it was mostly just a copy of what OS X did. Compiz still has some really cool effects that no other system has picked up (mainly because it's more eye candy than anything else, but I've got quite a few "Wows" around the office when they see windows wobbling, or my desktop turn into a massive, two screen wide, cube and spin.) Though, this isn't exactly the kind of thing to drive people to using Linux, but it doesn't hurt to give them an initial "wow" factor when showing them what Linux can do :)

One last thing Ender, if you have a LUG around where you live, I would be willing to bet they'd be more than willing to help you get everything setup correctly. They may even help by doing a bit of research to see if your sound card is (well) supported in Linux. If worst comes to worst, they may recommend you to buy a $15-$20 sound card that's has known support for Linux. Because, just like Windows, if there isn't drivers for the hardware, it's not going to work for you.
You're right about development - Linux is great if you're a programmer. That said, if I, as a user, need to use a number of applications on a project (Especially if they each need different DEs libraries and toolkits installed), it gets really, really annoying. I have a bunch of projects that require a half dozen apps to be running at the same time, and they all need to play nice with each other. YMMV.

Re: eye candy, honestly I don't care ;) I like to get work done, and outside of making my windows transparent, which I can already do, meh.

And while a LUG might be useful (and I think you're assuming I don't actually know quite a bit about this myself, and assuming I don't know a ton of BSD IT people), it's not really the point. Mainstream = just works. Plug and Play. If it's not easy, Linux will never break through.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Nico0020 wrote:All macs and macbooks should have multi button mice/touchpads.
I tap on the touchpad with one finger for left click, two fingers for right. It took about 30 seconds for me to set that up.