iPhone 3.0 beta questions

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: iPhone 3.0 beta questions

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:Since this topic is bumped, I'll just throw out that I no longer need that beta, the official firmware is announced for next week! Yay!

...except that, apparently, AT&T will not be ready to support MMS for a couple more months. Or tethering.
You can get tethering support if you update the carrier settings IPCC file manually with an old version of iTunes (iTunes 8.2 doesn't let you select IPCCs for updating). I'm currently running iPhone 3.0 final on my 3G with tethering support enabled just fine without paying a dime (of course, I'll get in trouble if I abuse it and AT&T realizes what's going on). MMS is also enabled on the phone side but I get errors if I try to send one.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Finally gave in, I'll be picking mine up on the 19th. The google maps stuff was simply too awesome to say no to.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I was looking at the £35 a month deal (way more minutes and texts than I'd ever really use) and I was thinking of paying £85 for the 16gb 3gs handset. Not crazy about the 2 year contract and paying for the phone itself but the apple fanboy in me is making me ignore all rational thought. :(
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I seriously need to get some friends who work at O2, apple or carphone warehouse...
Maturion
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maturion »

The main reason I bought an iPhone for was jailbreak software. And it was a disaster.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I'm actually a little upset now about the whole 3GS, just because I'm locked in a contract with my old iPhone. I wouldn't even really care about the S if it wasn't for the 32GB version, but I really, really need that 32GB.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:I'm actually a little upset now about the whole 3GS, just because I'm locked in a contract with my old iPhone. I wouldn't even really care about the S if it wasn't for the 32GB version, but I really, really need that 32GB.
Then why did you buy one? :P

That's why I don't have one yet, and why I waited years to buy an iPod. They're expensive machines, and I wanted to wait until there was one that did everything I wanted it to do.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

=/
Last edited by Polymira on Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--pSyCo
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Darc - just call att and request to remove the opt-out for mms. They will do it, mms works great on my 3.0 gm.
--pSyCo
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:I'm actually a little upset now about the whole 3GS, just because I'm locked in a contract with my old iPhone. I wouldn't even really care about the S if it wasn't for the 32GB version, but I really, really need that 32GB.
Then why did you buy one? :P

That's why I don't have one yet, and why I waited years to buy an iPod. They're expensive machines, and I wanted to wait until there was one that did everything I wanted it to do.
Because my contract was up and I needed a new phone since mine kept randomly shutting off at inopportune times. And at the time, there was absolutely no phone on the market that even compared to the iPhone.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Why do you need the 32gb so badly?
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:Why do you need the 32gb so badly?
That would match how big my old iPod is. Right now I have about 23GB of music on my computer, but with the 16GB phone, after formatting and leaving room for apps, I fit about 13.5GB on it right now. I basically have to leave off all my game and anime soundtracks, and everytime I want to add a new CD, I have to delete another one.

It might sound silly to you guys, but I really love having my music collection with me at all times. Not enough to break my contract over, but enough to replace out this iPhone when my upgrade comes around in January.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:Why do you need the 32gb so badly?
That would match how big my old iPod is. Right now I have about 23GB of music on my computer, but with the 16GB phone, after formatting and leaving room for apps, I fit about 13.5GB on it right now. I basically have to leave off all my game and anime soundtracks, and everytime I want to add a new CD, I have to delete another one.

It might sound silly to you guys, but I really love having my music collection with me at all times. Not enough to break my contract over, but enough to replace out this iPhone when my upgrade comes around in January.
I do understand that; to me, the whole point of having a digital music player is to have your entire library with you. Otherwise I would've just stick with my $40 Discman and a CD wallet, like I did for ten years or so before buying an iPod.

However, just like I held off for years on an iPod so that I could just by once and get one that did everything I wanted, I've similarly been holding off on a smartphone. Because once I go in for one, I want one that I'll be able to keep until it wears out, and which will be my portable digital device, period. When I get one, I want it to be a complete convergence device, so that I don't feel the want/need to carry any other electronics around with me... and part of that means absorbing the functionality of my iPod. I'll stick with a cheaper, normal phone until I can have what I want.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:It might sound silly to you guys, but I really love having my music collection with me at all times. Not enough to break my contract over, but enough to replace out this iPhone when my upgrade comes around in January.
It's not silly; I completely agree with you. I saved and bought a 20gb iRiver many, many years ago just so I could have my entire collection on one device, and this was at a time when a 20gb portable music player was a serious luxury, especially to a kid in high school. Then, when I outgrew that, I bought a 60gb 5G iPod so I could keep that up. But now, my library is about 135 gigs or something like that.

So I got rid of my iPod and now I use my 8gb iPhone 3G and Simplify Media. It's a $5.99 iPhone/iPod touch app that lets you stream music from any of your home computers. So now I just keep this little app running on my desktop PC, and whenever I launch this app I have access to all 135+ gigs of music. It automatically adjusts the bitrate for your iPhone's internet connection and works over WiFi, 3G, and EDGE. It also supports Last.fm/AudioScrobbler scrobbling as well. I have 3G here in Baton Rouge and the quality is so good I can't tell that I'm even streaming the music.

You can also use it to stream from computer to computer (which is free). I have all of my music on my laptop wherever I go (it shows up as an iTunes local share).

Give it a try; it's so worth it for a mere $6. You could at least use it for your game and anime soundtracks if you don't like it enough for your entire music collection.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Have you tried deleting all your anime soundtracks at all?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:It might sound silly to you guys, but I really love having my music collection with me at all times. Not enough to break my contract over, but enough to replace out this iPhone when my upgrade comes around in January.
It's not silly; I completely agree with you. I saved and bought a 20gb iRiver many, many years ago just so I could have my entire collection on one device, and this was at a time when a 20gb portable music player was a serious luxury, especially to a kid in high school. Then, when I outgrew that, I bought a 60gb 5G iPod so I could keep that up. But now, my library is about 135 gigs or something like that.

So I got rid of my iPod and now I use my 8gb iPhone 3G and Simplify Media. It's a $5.99 iPhone/iPod touch app that lets you stream music from any of your home computers. So now I just keep this little app running on my desktop PC, and whenever I launch this app I have access to all 135+ gigs of music. It automatically adjusts the bitrate for your iPhone's internet connection and works over WiFi, 3G, and EDGE. It also supports Last.fm/AudioScrobbler scrobbling as well. I have 3G here in Baton Rouge and the quality is so good I can't tell that I'm even streaming the music.

You can also use it to stream from computer to computer (which is free). I have all of my music on my laptop wherever I go (it shows up as an iTunes local share).

Give it a try; it's so worth it for a mere $6. You could at least use it for your game and anime soundtracks if you don't like it enough for your entire music collection.
The two problems with that is that, one, I never, ever leave my computer on when I'm not using it. I don't even leave my computer plugged in when I'm not using it. If I know I'm going to be off the computer for more than 15 minutes, I just turn it off and flip off the surge protector.

And second, I'm in an Edge network. The nearest 3G network is 40 miles away from where I live. I've tried streaming radio and Pandora over an Edge network, and it's sounds so metallic and washed out it's not even worth listening to.

Anyway, it's not so much that I can't fit my game soundtracks, but it gets annoying when I want to download another app and can't until I delete another CD off the phone. The constant battle for space is what really gets old.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

melancholy wrote:The two problems with that is that, one, I never, ever leave my computer on when I'm not using it. I don't even leave my computer plugged in when I'm not using it. If I know I'm going to be off the computer for more than 15 minutes, I just turn it off and flip off the surge protector.
Leave your computer on, then, like a normal person.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I completely understand what you're saying, Mel. I just can't imagine 32 gigs being big enough. I'm not even halfway through digitizing my CD collection, and I've already used up about 60 gigs of space on my Zune.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
melancholy wrote:The two problems with that is that, one, I never, ever leave my computer on when I'm not using it. I don't even leave my computer plugged in when I'm not using it. If I know I'm going to be off the computer for more than 15 minutes, I just turn it off and flip off the surge protector.
Heh, no way. That would be a tremendous waste of electricity. And besides, I don't even leave the DSL and router on when I'm not using it. Sometimes I'll leave my computer on when I leave so I can download stuff, but all I can think about until I get home is how much electricity I'm wasting by leaving it on. It's a little compulsive issue I have.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

melancholy wrote:
|darc| wrote:
Heh, no way. That would be a tremendous waste of electricity. And besides, I don't even leave the DSL and router on when I'm not using it. Sometimes I'll leave my computer on when I leave so I can download stuff, but all I can think about until I get home is how much electricity I'm wasting by leaving it on. It's a little compulsive issue I have.
I'm the same. I never leave my PC on when I go out unless I know I'll only be out for a little bit. Also I'll only leave it on over night if downloading something. I always turn my router and modem off when I'm asleep/not home to save electricity. Not that I'm worried about it but it means no one can really gain access to my wifi network either if it's not on. :lol:

I don't see the point leaving electrical goods on if I'm not using them, nor have any intention of using them any time soon. Maybe that's just me because I have a mortgage and bills to pay. :?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800