Smoking 2.0

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Smoking 2.0

Post by |darc| »

OneThirty8 wrote:Although I would disagree, I could at least understand a point of view that says adults should be responsible for their own health. Kids are a different story--they don't have the opportunity to seek a job that provides them with affordable health insurance.
Clearly the problem here is overregulation. Stop interfering with the free market--end the child labor laws and let the problem sort itself out. The little fucks can purchase their own health insurance.
It's thinking...
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Code-Red »

Be thankful you don't live in Canada. A pack of Belmont Milds (best smokes btw) cost $12.50 for a 25 pack. Typical prices are around $10.25 and have been that way for a couple years now.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:Although I would disagree, I could at least understand a point of view that says adults should be responsible for their own health. Kids are a different story--they don't have the opportunity to seek a job that provides them with affordable health insurance.
Clearly the problem here is overregulation. Stop interfering with the free market--end the child labor laws and let the problem sort itself out. The little fucks can purchase their own health insurance.
Damn! Beat me to it :lol:
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Eviltaco64X wrote:
pixel wrote:I like smoking. But, if someone votes a law banning smoking in public places, I don't really care.
I'm definitely against that. Sure, it's "offensive" to most non-smokers to have cigarette smoke around them, but shouldn't smokers be able to find that having to go out into the freezing weather (well, at least half the year) just to smoke a cigarette is offensive?

If you want to make both sides happy, then at least re-introduce smoking and non-smoking sections again. Of course, that's never gonna happen.

I mean, they're already strangling us now by raising cigarette prices even more (last week, I could still get a pack of Reds for $4.26, now the cheapest you can find them here is $5.15), and even though we still fork out more and more money over time to have our smokes and even benefit the government with all the money we're spending on cigarette taxes, we get more and more disrespect as time goes on.

And as I think Jeeba put it, we're supposed to "stfu and stop smoking" if we dare complain about it.

That's my 2 cents on the whole thing.
Yeah. My stance has always been that it should be entirely up to the business' owner. It's not like someone who walks into a restaurant that has a smoking section without knowing of it is going to be poisoned and crippled of their chance to leave and find somewhere smoke-free, if they prefer to do so. It's not public property, it's private property, and it isn't illegal to smoke in my house.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

OneThirty8 wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
Hasney wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:
melancholy wrote: Do gadgets and technology create an equal amount of health problems that smoking creates?
Perhaps not, but is it the government's place to tell us what health problems we can or can't create for ourselves?
it will be once we get that "grand" national healthcare.
Why will it? Smokings still fine in all the countries with goverment healthcare.
Because the liberals want to tax rich people into the poor house and control every aspect of our lives while using public funds to force mandatory abortions. Liberals are the lowest form of inhuman cockroach-like scum to ever walk the earth, as is evident in their desire to use public funds to ensure health care to all Americans. Especially children. Little bastards don't even work or pay taxes--if they get sick, fuck 'em. Not our problem.

yup :laugh:
What I find disturbing is that I thought that I was greatly exaggerating your position on taxation and health care, and you just say, "yup :laugh:". Are you really so heartless as to believe that it's ok for children to be uninsured? Although I would disagree, I could at least understand a point of view that says adults should be responsible for their own health. Kids are a different story--they don't have the opportunity to seek a job that provides them with affordable health insurance.
i guess i should live in your twisted world where someone making 40k a year has to help pay for health ins. with his taxes for someone who makes 120k a year. real fucking fair.

i have no problem helping kids who need it out with ins., but when there is no income cap for receiving ins. then i feel it's a bunch of bullshit.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

pavelbure wrote:i guess i should live in your twisted world where someone making 40k a year has to help pay for health ins. with his taxes for someone who makes 120k a year. real fucking fair.

i have no problem helping kids who need it out with ins., but when there is no income cap for receiving ins. then i feel it's a bunch of bullshit.
That reasoning makes no sense unless you assume a regressive tax structure (which we sort of have for a handful of the ultra-wealthy, but their situation isn't exactly dripping with fairness either way).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

pavelbure wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
Hasney wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:
melancholy wrote: Do gadgets and technology create an equal amount of health problems that smoking creates?
Perhaps not, but is it the government's place to tell us what health problems we can or can't create for ourselves?
it will be once we get that "grand" national healthcare.
Why will it? Smokings still fine in all the countries with goverment healthcare.
Because the liberals want to tax rich people into the poor house and control every aspect of our lives while using public funds to force mandatory abortions. Liberals are the lowest form of inhuman cockroach-like scum to ever walk the earth, as is evident in their desire to use public funds to ensure health care to all Americans. Especially children. Little bastards don't even work or pay taxes--if they get sick, fuck 'em. Not our problem.

yup :laugh:
What I find disturbing is that I thought that I was greatly exaggerating your position on taxation and health care, and you just say, "yup :laugh:". Are you really so heartless as to believe that it's ok for children to be uninsured? Although I would disagree, I could at least understand a point of view that says adults should be responsible for their own health. Kids are a different story--they don't have the opportunity to seek a job that provides them with affordable health insurance.
i guess i should live in your twisted world where someone making 40k a year has to help pay for health ins. with his taxes for someone who makes 120k a year. real fucking fair.

Actually, in my twisted world, it would be the other way around. The person making $120k a year would be taxed at a significantly higher rate than the person making $40k a year. As for an income cap, I just think that everybody should be covered 100%. Give everybody equal access to the best medical care available. The method we have for actually delivering care seems to work, and in my eyes the thing that needs fixing is how we pay for it.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

OneThirty8 wrote:Actually, in my twisted world, it would be the other way around. The person making $120k a year would be taxed at a significantly higher rate than the person making $40k a year. As for an income cap, I just think that everybody should be covered 100%. Give everybody equal access to the best medical care available. The method we have for actually delivering care seems to work, and in my eyes the thing that needs fixing is how we pay for it.
But that would lead to rationing based on need instead of ability to pay, which is grossly immoral because... umm... LOOK OVER THERE OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER REAGAN NEVER WOULD'VE?

Oh, right, moral hazard. Because health care costs are 100% correlated to voluntary lifestyle choices and have nothing at all to do with genetics or random fluctuations in the uterine environment or exposure to environmental toxins or the FDA having next to no inspectors.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

guys, why don't you move to a country that does provide universal health care ? i hear you all bitching all the time, but your lazy asses never do anything about it. just move, it isn't that hard to do or get a job that does provide health care.
oh, maybe this is why
http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba649
Fact No. 7: People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed. More than 70 percent of German, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and British adults say their health system needs either "fundamental change" or "complete rebuilding.
you can't keep taxing the rich up the ass for health care, schools, welfare, unemployment, ect..... and expect to be paid at the end of the day from these same "rich" people.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

pavelbure wrote:guys, why don't you move to a country that does provide universal health care ? i hear you all bitching all the time, but your lazy asses never do anything about it. just move, it isn't that hard to do or get a job that does provide health care.
oh, maybe this is why
Fact No. 7: People in countries with more government control of health care are highly dissatisfied and believe reform is needed. More than 70 percent of German, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand and British adults say their health system needs either "fundamental change" or "complete rebuilding.
you can't keep taxing the rich up the ass for health care, schools, welfare, unemployment, ect..... and expect to be paid at the end of the day from these same "rich" people.
It would be very easy to move to another country. France has been begging me to come over and take a job away from a French person. But I'd rather stay here and force affordable health care on you just because it annoys you so much.

And these rich people you speak of... are these the same rich people who have done such a fantastic job of running AIG and Bank of America?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pavelbure wrote:guys, why don't you move to a country that does provide universal health care ? i hear you all bitching all the time, but your lazy asses never do anything about it. just move, it isn't that hard to do or get a job that does provide health care.
oh, maybe this is why
Why don't you move to a country that doesn't provide universal health care?

The Democrats won. They get to carry out their agenda now.
It's thinking...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

oh, maybe this is why

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean that they aren't patriotic.

|darc| wrote:
oh, maybe this is why

Of course. But I didn't see any of you lying down silently when Bush was in office.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
oh, maybe this is why

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, it doesn't mean that they aren't patriotic.

|darc| wrote:
oh, maybe this is why

Of course. But I didn't see any of you lying down silently when Bush was in office.
I thought |darc| loved Bush!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:Of course. But I didn't see any of you lying down silently when Bush was in office.
Bush didn't win.

Seriously, though, I do think the right wing has every right to complain, because this is their country, too. And although I always disagreed with "if you don't like it, stop complaining and move away," it at least makes sense when you're telling the minority to move away, which is what idiots have been telling the left for the previous eight years. But now those idiots (e.g. pavelbure) are still saying it, and this time he's not in the majority!
It's thinking...