Testing Homebrew on a Real Dreamcast

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
BongDC
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Testing Homebrew on a Real Dreamcast

Post by BongDC »

Thank you, but i rather go "serial". Can i use any pc serial cable or is the coders cable the only one that works?

Sincerely,

BongDC
anothrguitarist
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by anothrguitarist »

AFAIK, a pc serial cable, by itself, won't work.
anothrsignature, anothrsite, anothrguitarist
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Just the coder's cable. I'm not sure where to buy one since lik-sang closed up shop, but there are instructions to build your own at http://mc.pp.se/dc/serifc.html if you're inclined to go that route. You can also use a BBA, but they tend to be pretty pricey on eBay.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

OneThirty8 wrote:
BongDC wrote:I use BootDreams to create the CD Image and burn it. As far as i know CD-R's are "closed" once they are written to and once "closed" they can't be written to again. CD-RW's can be reopened to write on them again, but the Dreamcast can't read CD-RW's. Am i missing something?

Sincerely,

BongDC
Use BootDreams to create a DemoMenu CD and burn it. This CD will be closed like you said, and no further data can be written to it.

When you have a program that you are working on and want to test it, don't use BootDreams. Open up a regular CD burning program such as Nero or some other general-purpose CD-burning software. In Nero, there is a checkbox in the Write CD dialog that says something along the lines of "Start Multisession CD." There's also a way to continue a multisession CD. Other programs should have some similar options. This works just fine with CD-R, and this is what you want to use in order to save CDs. Every time you burn a new session with a newer version of a file, your Dreamcast should recognize the new file. The old version will take up space on the disc, so you will eventually need to throw that CD away and start a new one, but you should be able to use the same CD for many, many tests.
BootDreams burns multisessions discs too; CDRecord GUI then Multisession should be selected in the drop-down menu.