Dreamcast vs Nintendo Wii

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by GyroVorbis »

|darc| wrote:
segajoel wrote:
Fragger wrote: It was probably GyroVorbis' "Samba de Amigo"-esque game, using fishing rods in place of the maracas. IIRC the name is Viva La Samba.
BTWN

What happen to this project, its still in development???
I think it seems a little out of the scope of what GyroVorbis could do alone.
I'm not exactly sure what could possibly be "out of my scope" on a Samba clone. Maybe making blue balls go towards their respective holes is hard for darc to grasp, but he isn't exactly the authority on Dreamcast development. I think that darc needs to kindly shut his ass. :D

It's kinda sorta still in development. I stopped for awhile, because I started college, and I've had a lot of stuff going on in my life. I've been on summer break for a few weeks, and for the first time in probably a good year, I've been putting honest effort into a DC homebrew. It's not Viva, but it's another project that I've started. I don't want to give away any details until it's further along the development cycle. But seriously, I'm working on it right now as I post this.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sweater Fish »

GyroVorbis wrote:making blue balls go towards their respective holes
Hey, this sounds like MY KIND OF GAME!!

...word is bondage...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

GyroVorbis wrote:
|darc| wrote:I think it seems a little out of the scope of what GyroVorbis could do alone.
I'm not exactly sure what could possibly be "out of my scope" on a Samba clone. Maybe making blue balls go towards their respective holes is hard for darc to grasp, but he isn't exactly the authority on Dreamcast development. I think that darc needs to kindly shut his ass. :D
You completely misunderstood my statement. I assumed that Viva La Samba has pretty much been shelved because you were being overambitious and wanted to make a commercial-quality game.

And if you want to take a shot at me, honestly, a commercial-quality game is way out of the league for someone who can't write a program that just displays an image.
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Chill y0.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

|darc| wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
|darc| wrote:I think it seems a little out of the scope of what GyroVorbis could do alone.
You completely misunderstood my statement. I assumed that Viva La Samba has pretty much been shelved because you were being overambitious and wanted to make a commercial-quality game.

And if you want to take a shot at me, honestly, a commercial-quality game is way out of the league for someone who can't write a program that just displays an image.
I'm not going to respond to the second part of your post, because if I really did misinterpret, then I'm sorry.

I had pretty much done the main engine, I started working on cooler things like streaming music from the PC via coder's cable while you play other songs and stuff. I honestly didn't get to trying out the dual fishing rods idea, but I know it will work. I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be, but it would definitely be playable.

I kinda lost motivation for awhile. Now I'm completely motivated for another project. I'd still like to finish up on Viva, but my motivation lies elsewhere at the moment.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

GyroVorbis wrote:
|darc| wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

I'm not going to respond to the second part of your post, because if I really did misinterpret, then I'm sorry.

I had pretty much done the main engine, I started working on cooler things like streaming music from the PC via coder's cable while you play other songs and stuff. I honestly didn't get to trying out the dual fishing rods idea, but I know it will work. I'm not sure how enjoyable it would be, but it would definitely be playable.

I kinda lost motivation for awhile. Now I'm completely motivated for another project. I'd still like to finish up on Viva, but my motivation lies elsewhere at the moment.
I remember you sent me a demo at some point of the engine and it was really cool. At the time all it did was all sorts of weird swirly images. This was a few years ago though.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Quzar wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
|darc| wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:

I remember you sent me a demo at some point of the engine and it was really cool. At the time all it did was all sorts of weird swirly images. This was a few years ago though.
Yeah, it was preset so that you had like a streak of 300 amigos (number of notes hit in a row). I was showing you how trippy it could get. The rotations and colors and stuff got flashier the better you were doing.
segajoel
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by segajoel »

GyroVorbis wrote:
|darc| wrote:
segajoel wrote:
Fragger wrote: It was probably GyroVorbis' "Samba de Amigo"-esque game, using fishing rods in place of the maracas. IIRC the name is Viva La Samba.
BTWN

What happen to this project, its still in development???
I think it seems a little out of the scope of what GyroVorbis could do alone.

It's kinda sorta still in development. I stopped for awhile, because I started college, and I've had a lot of stuff going on in my life. I've been on summer break for a few weeks, and for the first time in probably a good year, I've been putting honest effort into a DC homebrew. It's not Viva, but it's another project that I've started. I don't want to give away any details until it's further along the development cycle. But seriously, I'm working on it right now as I post this.
Thanks for the answer.

I´m glad to see it´s still in progress. 8-) Don´t hurry take your time.
XBOX 360 Gamercard:
SEGA DREAMCAST Gamercard:
Mazamitla 360°
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

that was a great video! The Wii is fun for a half-hour, but it isn't as revoultionary as everyone says it is. Games played with special accessories on Dreamcast like Sega Bass Fishing 1 and 2, Sega Marine Fishing, all of the gun games, racing games, flight sim games, Virtual On:OT, and Samba de Amigo 1 & 2 know that there is that added sense of realism that isn't the same when you are using a standard controller. Nintendo just took that idea and tries to implement it in every game - for better or for worse. I'm still rockin' out my Dreamcast because Sega still does what Nintendont!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

A lot of selling points for newer systems were introduced on Dreamcast, it's nice to see this little console can offer so many gaming experiences. It's sad to see that the DC could also be seen as a nice concept that ultimately failed in the long run.

Nintendo Wii -> Dreamcast fishing rod, Maracas

Xbox live -> Seganet / Dreamarena

Sony Eyetoy -> Dreameye

Then there's still the Pop n Music controller.

The Wii seems like a nice console to me, but right now the only game I'd buy it for would be the new Zelda. Personally I think I'd rather see a console with peripherals developed for games, rather than games being developed around one forced peripheral.

Call me lazy, but I am simply a gamer that wants to keep it simple at times. I like something unique at times, and that's why I have a Dreamcast with a fishing rod and some nice maracas :)
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

The video was hilarious. :D But the fishing rod doesn't move like that does it? I dunno. I never had one. hehe