Cycling to work

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cycling to work

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

cak! wrote:
Prophet][ wrote:I used to ride to work when I worked in the city. Bout a 22km trip each way. I just my clothes in a backpack and had a shower when I got to work.
not everyone has a shower at their place of employment...in fact I'm willing to wager most don't.

also whoever said something about sweat not being an issue after 2 miles...i ride to work sometimes and after two miles in 90 degree heat i sweat a bit and its pretty flat for the most part...i don't do it very much because of that reason alone. the only way around that is to bring a change of clothes.

now let's talk about mopeds...they're a great form of transportation, but with gas prices at an all time high people are willing to do ridiculous thing to combat them...a co-worker of mine had just bought a moped about 2 months ago, and one day after work he went to go home and it was gone...someone picked it up and threw it in the back of their truck we believe...a motorcycle you don't have to worry about that really because of the weight but mopeds are light and small...so if you choose to go that route always park it in sight or in a guarded parking garage.
yeah, I live in Texas and go to school in Arkansas, 120°F summer days are not unheard-of and in August 90° is a cool day. And with 85% humidity (or higher), just standing outside could be a sweaty problem.

I've actually been considering getting a scooter, since I don't have a car (and couldn't afford the gas if I did). I'm obviously not alone either. Every place in town has sold out of what they had and is ordering more.
My biggest concern though, is how to secure it when I'm at school. I can't take it into my dorm because of the gasoline (and lack of space...), and finding a good parking spot where I'd be able to chain it to something would be tricky. However, I did notice last semester that there were a couple people that already had them and just left them parked with no chaining or anything.
this is my signature
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

butters wrote:
Calavera wrote:
Lartrak wrote:BTW, I don't see how gas costs can be problematic.. Assuming you can get 20 miles to the gallon, that's like 1 gallon a week. Even if gas went up to $10 a gallon, that wouldn't be to terrible. However, it might be nice to bike anyway, if just for the extra exercise and invigoration.
Lol, yeah good point. It would only be 3.5 miles a day round trip. So even if you worked 7 days a week for an entire month, it would only be about 100 miles a month. So in an average car you'd only have to fill up once every three months!
You're forgetting an important variable: traffic lights.
So what are you saying? Even if the start and stop took the mileage down to 10 mpg, you'd still only have to fill up every 1.5 months.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Calavera wrote:
butters wrote:
Calavera wrote:
Lartrak wrote:BTW, I don't see how gas costs can be problematic.. Assuming you can get 20 miles to the gallon, that's like 1 gallon a week. Even if gas went up to $10 a gallon, that wouldn't be to terrible. However, it might be nice to bike anyway, if just for the extra exercise and invigoration.
Lol, yeah good point. It would only be 3.5 miles a day round trip. So even if you worked 7 days a week for an entire month, it would only be about 100 miles a month. So in an average car you'd only have to fill up once every three months!
You're forgetting an important variable: traffic lights.
So what are you saying? Even if the start and stop took the mileage down to 10 mpg, you'd still only have to fill up every 1.5 months.
Which would be like $500 a year in gas costs
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Been thanked: 0

Post by butters »

It's going to be interesting to see what the reaction will be when gas starts going past $7/gallon, which is about what it will cost if oil prices hit $200/barrel like they have been forecasting lately. Many cities in the U.S. are going to have to make changes to their roads to make way for all of bicycles, mopeds, and scooters, and mass transportation is going to become much more common. Maybe we'll actually start taking advantage of all the railroad infrastructure that is all over the country.

Of course, as soon as demand starts shifting downward, OPEC will make a small price cut that will fool people into thinking prices have gone down, when they have in fact went way up then just a little down.