OSX "Leopard" Is a Smug Bastard

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: OSX "Leopard" Is a Smug Bastard

Post by |darc| »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
|darc| wrote:you can price the exact same components on NewEgg and come out that the Mac Pro is cheaper than building it.
I actually tried this a little while ago, and couldn't find a motherboard that was really equivalent (i.e. same chipset and PCIe slot configuration). However I can second that the Mac Pro would actually have been cheaper.
I haven't really compared motherboards, but someone told me this was the closest you could get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121045
$477
It's thinking...
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Stormwatch »

melancholy wrote:But some people around campus insist I must get viruses solely because I'm on a PC. In fact, I met one guy who thought simply connecting a PC to the internet automatically infected your computer.
If you use Windows XP or 2000 without the security packs, the Blaster worm will 0wn you.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

Roofus wrote:It's just a computer. Use the one you like.
agreed.

I find just as many equally annoying issues in OSX, Windows, and popular distributions of Linux. I use a Mac simply because I prefer how the Adobe programs run on it compared to on Windows

...that and Macs with Adobe software are industry standard for graphic designers
this is my signature
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

As far as using the PC you like, if my HTC Wizard could run PSO, I'd never have bought a laptop. Pocket PC's rule.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Stormwatch wrote:
melancholy wrote:But some people around campus insist I must get viruses solely because I'm on a PC. In fact, I met one guy who thought simply connecting a PC to the internet automatically infected your computer.
If you use Windows XP or 2000 without the security packs, the Blaster worm will 0wn you.
Little story I have about Sasser: When it hit the internet, my uncle called me up saying that he needed computer help. I'm the goddamn computer genius in the family, so I get calls like these. Anyway, my uncle had a piece of shit slow-ass Dell and he got infected with Sasser. I didn't know anything about Sasser at the time because it was a brand new worm and the media hadn't reported on it yet, so I at first thought it was just some virus that he got from an email or something. The box was so slow with malware that it was nearly impossible to remove, so I just said 'fuck it' and formatted the drive (luckily my uncle still thought it was 1985 and saved all his documents to floppies). After it taking 2 hours to format the motherfucker, Windows finally was installed. I connect it to the internet to download updates and some protection software. Motherfucker is still infected. Now I was pretty pissed. I decided to zero out the hard drive and then reinstall Windows again. Nothing could survive that! 3 hours later, Windows starts for the first time. Still infected. I wanted to kill the motherfucker who wrote this virus. I left the damn thing infected after wasting my goddamn day on it. It wasn't until after when the media started reporting on it that I realized it wasn't that Sasser survived the format, it was being reinfected shortly after each format. I went back and fixed it a week later, but jesus christ... I'm glad I'm behind a router which makes these sorts of attacks a lot more difficult...
It's thinking...
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Roofus wrote:It's just a computer. Use the one you like.
Agreed, why can't we all just get along.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple ... 80x376.mov

Sorry, I had too, considering I know a bunch of people who have gone back to XP :P
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Apple are acting like such smug c*nts lately, it's so undignified.
This taking sides crap is so ridiculous, they're multinational conglomerates who's only aim is to make profit, anyone who falls for it is an idiot. I use whichever OS serves the purpose for what I need to do best. At work I use a mac for DVD authoring and design work and windows for everything else- It's not a fashion choice it's a workflow choice. A nice User Interface is good but by far the most important thing for me is productivity and usability.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:Apple are acting like such smug c*nts lately, it's so undignified.
This taking sides crap is so ridiculous, they're multinational conglomerates who's only aim is to make profit, anyone who falls for it is an idiot. I use whichever OS serves the purpose for what I need to do best. At work I use a mac for DVD authoring and design work and windows for everything else- It's not a fashion choice it's a workflow choice. A nice User Interface is good but by far the most important thing for me is productivity and usability.
Anyone who takes advertising that seriously is also an idiot. It's advertising, not smug cuntery. Get over it.

And Apple isn't a conglomerate.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

|darc| wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:Apple are acting like such smug c*nts lately, it's so undignified.
Anyone who takes advertising that seriously is also an idiot. It's advertising, not smug cuntery. Get over it.

And Apple isn't a conglomerate.
I agree you'd have to be an idiot but if you're suggesting Apple aren't guilty of trying to encourage such rabid fanboyism then you're in denial. Yes it is just an advert, but if Microsoft made an advert saying LOL WE'RE RICH BITCH- it would be just an advert, but they'd still be smug dickheads for doing it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:I agree you'd have to be an idiot but if you're suggesting Apple aren't guilty of trying to encourage such rabid fanboyism then you're in denial. Yes it is just an advert, but if Microsoft made an advert saying LOL WE'RE RICH BITCH- it would be just an advert, but they'd still be smug dickheads for doing it.
I don't see what's wrong from a corporate standpoint to encourage such a loyal fanbase. It's every company's dream. I guess everyone at Sega were smug assholes during the Genesis era because they had a loyal fanbase and made commercials like "Genesis does what Nintendon't."

And the difference between Apple's commercials and Microsoft's potential "LOL WE'RE RICH BITCH" commercial is that point out your opponent's product's flaws and how your product is superior is a standard advertising practice, and saying "LOL WE'RE RICH BITCH" isn't.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Ok, do that same commercial, but have the mac guy completely forget his lines every time he tried to move, and then have him just stand there looking retarded for a sec or two.

Every os has it's flaws. And personally, i'd rather buy a new printer/wait for a driver upgrade then lose potentially months/years worth of work.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MKE wrote:Ok, do that same commercial, but have the mac guy completely forget his lines every time he tried to move, and then have him just stand there looking retarded for a sec or two.

Every os has it's flaws. And personally, i'd rather buy a new printer/wait for a driver upgrade then lose potentially months/years worth of work.
No idea what the fuck you're even getting at.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

Leopard was released with a bug where it would 'randomly' lose data if you tried to move it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MKE wrote:Leopard was released with a bug where it would 'randomly' lose data if you tried to move it.
Read about the issue before you make such a stupid post.

The bug is about moving data to another device and disconnecting that device mid-transfer. Yes, it's a stupid bug but it isn't random at all, it's quite specific, and that is that the data wasn't checked during a move before it was removed from the source.
It's thinking...
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

And AFAIK it only happened on specific Seagate HDDs. Not something you want to have in a final build of an OS, but is blown WAY out of proportions. I'm sure all the 2 people that were dumb enough to disconnect a drive mid-transfer are pissed.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MulletMan13 wrote:And AFAIK it only happened on specific Seagate HDDs. Not something you want to have in a final build of an OS, but is blown WAY out of proportions. I'm sure all the 2 people that were dumb enough to disconnect a drive mid-transfer are pissed.
Nah, that's a different issue--some Seagate hard discs in MacBooks were faulty.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

And what that/those comercials say isn't blown out of proportion? And the downgrading back to vista isn't just a very specific problem, the printers not working isn't a very specific problem? So far, out of my frankenstein computer, i've yet to own something that doesnt work with vista. Yes, i've seen all the problems that people have with vista, and 99% of the time it's the end user who makes them happen. Most common- The cd drive is no longer available after installing itunes. Apple is supposed to be working on a fix for it with microsoft, but it's not completely fixed yet.

and it might be a stupid bug, but after all, they did dedicate an entire comercial to the UAC in vista correct? Atleast that "bug" could be fixed by a simple unchecking of a box.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MKE wrote:And what that/those comercials say isn't blown out of proportion? And the downgrading back to vista isn't just a very specific problem, the printers not working isn't a very specific problem?
can't understand what you're trying to say
MKE wrote:So far, out of my frankenstein computer, i've yet to own something that doesnt work with vista. Yes, i've seen all the problems that people have with vista, and 99% of the time it's the end user who makes them happen. Most common- The cd drive is no longer available after installing itunes. Apple is supposed to be working on a fix for it with microsoft, but it's not completely fixed yet.
How on earth is that a user problem? And how the hell is an application that doesn't run with admin privileges able to take out hardware?
MKE wrote:and it might be a stupid bug, but after all, they did dedicate an entire comercial to the UAC in vista correct? Atleast that "bug" could be fixed by a simple unchecking of a box.
UAC shouldn't exist to begin with. But besides that, turning off UAC puts the red shield icon in your taskbar to let you know how stupid you are. There's no "Yes, yes, I know, Microsoft, I am not retarded and I don't need your anti-malware, anti-virus, firewall, auto-update, and UAC begging" checkbox.
It's thinking...
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

|darc| wrote:
MKE wrote:And what that/those comercials say isn't blown out of proportion? And the downgrading back to vista isn't just a very specific problem, the printers not working isn't a very specific problem?
can't understand what you're trying to say
Your said that the data loss bug was small and specific, i was saying so are the problems they mention in the commercial.
MKE wrote:So far, out of my frankenstein computer, i've yet to own something that doesnt work with vista. Yes, i've seen all the problems that people have with vista, and 99% of the time it's the end user who makes them happen. Most common- The cd drive is no longer available after installing itunes. Apple is supposed to be working on a fix for it with microsoft, but it's not completely fixed yet.
How on earth is that a user problem? And how the hell is an application that doesn't run with admin privileges able to take out hardware?
This one i messed up on, i meant the most common problem i see, not that it is user caused. And it takes out hardware because it changes the upperfilter setting in the registry and causes windows to think there is a driver error. It's usually caused by having numerous cd burning pograms installed, but that isn't 100% of the cause. it is a known problem again that both apple and ms are working on.

Its actually so common, and so easy to fix, when we get customers that have that problem, we just copy over the registry file (deletes the upperfilter for the drive) and explain to them what and why it happens, and how to use it (run, click yes, click ok, reboot)
MKE wrote:and it might be a stupid bug, but after all, they did dedicate an entire comercial to the UAC in vista correct? Atleast that "bug" could be fixed by a simple unchecking of a box.
UAC shouldn't exist to begin with. But besides that, turning off UAC puts the red shield icon in your taskbar to let you know how stupid you are. There's no "Yes, yes, I know, Microsoft, I am not retarded and I don't need your anti-malware, anti-virus, firewall, auto-update, and UAC begging" checkbox.
Actually, there is. If you double click on the box you get the security window, on the left hand side you have a few options, the bottom one is "change the way security center alerts me" in there, you get 3 options, choose the bottom one that says something "dont notify me about warnings"