my five year old and a DC

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bizzle »

navi wrote:Nice to see kids being raise around Video Games 8-)
I plan to raise mine the same way and teach them the importance of each system as well as the pitfalls that happened to them.
That's so pathetic. Ever think your kid might not want to be a video game dork?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Xylene wrote:
I plan to raise mine the same way and teach them the importance of each system as well as the pitfalls that happened to them.
To me it's like a parent wanting to teach a kid a certain music or movie genre they enjoy. I don't enjoy country music all that much, but my dad tells me all about his adventures back in the day and how he met some famous people and who was popular at the time at whatnot. It's not a matter of wanting your child to be a 'video game dork' as you put it, but more like passing on knowledge of your niche of pop culture to the next generation.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Xylene wrote:
Oh my goodness, it's a two lined comment. Chances are that it won't even happen, or to the extent that you make it out to be. This could equivocate to a small five minute lecture about why some systems sucked. :roll:

There's a million and one more mitigating factors in which this kid's going to be molded from. Just breathe.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

GratefulDead wrote:
Xylene wrote:
Oh my goodness, it's a two lined comment. Chances are that it won't even happen, or to the extent that you make it out to be. This could equivocate to a small five minute lecture about why some systems sucked. :roll:

There's a million and one more mitigating factors in which this kid's going to be molded from. Just breathe.
How about you just let the kid decide what video games he likes (as long as they are age appropriate) and let him play what he likes without putting your bias into it?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Xylene wrote:
GratefulDead wrote:
Xylene wrote:

How about you just let the kid decide what video games he likes (as long as they are age appropriate) and let him play what he likes without putting your bias into it?
I think it is quite a bit more pathetic that you are so against bias like that. I don't know about you, but I grew up listening to my parent's music in the car and at home, then when i learned better picked up on my own. Unless the kid is a braindead zombie, it won't matter.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Xylene wrote: How about you just let the kid decide what video games he likes (as long as they are age appropriate) and let him play what he likes without putting your bias into it?
Right back at you then. I hate racing games. I don't play them. I don't like most sports games either. There is my bias. First kind of game my kid gravitates to by his own choice are racing games (he saw them in the store; he certainly didn't see me playing them). I picked a couple of age appropriate ones for the xbox. His favorite is Daytona for the DC. He also likes college football. Boy, I've really influenced him with my bias. :roll:
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

abydos1000 wrote:
Xylene wrote: How about you just let the kid decide what video games he likes (as long as they are age appropriate) and let him play what he likes without putting your bias into it?
Right back at you then. I hate racing games. I don't play them. I don't like most sports games either. There is my bias. First kind of game my kid gravitates to by his own choice are racing games (he saw them in the store; he certainly didn't see me playing them). I picked a couple of age appropriate ones for the xbox. His favorite is Daytona for the DC. He also likes college football. Boy, I've really influenced him with my bias. :roll:
I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to navi and the other idiot who said he was going to "give his children a proper video game education starting with Tetris on the GB blah blah blah". I agreed with most of what you said. Learn how to read.
Xylene wrote:
and
cyberinsekt wrote:Very admirable. I have a plan in my head about giving my children a decent video game education - I am going to start them off with Tetris on the GB and Zelda on the SNES and then move them on to the Dreamcast.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Quotable Quzar wrote:
Xylene wrote:
GratefulDead wrote:
Xylene wrote:

I think it is quite a bit more pathetic that you are so against bias like that. I don't know about you, but I grew up listening to my parent's music in the car and at home, then when i learned better picked up on my own. Unless the kid is a braindead zombie, it won't matter.
I never said I was going to force Video Games on them. It would be entirely their decision, but how many times has alittle kid asked their parents if they could play a video game with them?

It has nothing to do with Dorking out your kid so to speak. If your dad was a wrestling buff or a gear head of course he'd try to take you to car shows or wrestling matches to spend time wtih you.

That's what it's about not infusing them with your loves and hates.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

What I'd like to know is if you actually beleive that 2 years or possibly more time down the road, that they'll actually sit their kids down and lecture them about video games. You have to also take into consideration that they'd be a todler that cannot speak fluently, so add a few more years onto that.

Of course not the brightest comment, especially if read out of context, but oh well.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

To Xylene: yes, in retrospect, I realized you were not referring to me, but I was reading a little too quickly yesterday. My mistake there.

I think I've pretty much said all I've wanted to say. This was meant to me an innocent post, but there are obviously strong opinions. Oh well, off to other things.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Yay for Dreamcast!

lol.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

O_o
You won't let your kid play Doom 3 or GTA even when hes 15 *smacks ya over and over again* :P j/k
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

It's a shame that what started out as a light hearted thread has turned a bit sour :(
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

My wife and I are huge videogame fanatics and I willl be making my video game library accessible to my son but I won't be forcing it on him. If he chooses to play them that will be awesome, and if he doesn't that's fine. It's his life. My wife has a very similar attitude, she will not put our sons hair in a mohawk because she doesn't want to force it on him or anything like that.

I believe what you do is very admirable. You are the first parent that I know of that follows the ratings.
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

I played Doom when I was like 4 or 5. I grew up fine. So did a whole generation of kids.
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Well getting a little more on topic, my little cousins love my dreamcast. Same with my friends and girlfriend. :)

I just pulled mine out of the box a couple weeks ago. Hmm, that doesn't sound right.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Xylene wrote:|darc|, are you sure you didn't mean to go off on cyberinsekt instead? He's the one who said the:
cyberinsekt wrote:Very admirable. I have a plan in my head about giving my children a decent video game education - I am going to start them off with Tetris on the GB and Zelda on the SNES and then move them on to the Dreamcast.
.. right before you said "GROW UP".
I may have quoted abydos, but it was a general shout to everyone in the thread.
Wanton Weasel wrote:
|darc| wrote:GROW UP.
You may know a lot of stuff, but you don't sh*t about raising children.

God forbid he as a father makes rules for his kid to follow. His kid is 5 YEARS OLD. I would think you of all people would discourage another dumb tv/video game zombie. He is teaching to be creative and active, mentally and physically. Instead just dumbing down and let tv/video games doing all the thinking for him.
When the HELL did I say anything about his parenting abilities? I don't have anything against you Weasel, but you really cluelessly jump into conversations often.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: reply to |darc|'s comments

Post by |darc| »

abydos1000 wrote:he isn?t playing GTA or Doom 3, but I wouldn?t let him play those if he was 10 or 12. 15? I don?t know. Probably not, but when kids get closer of age, you have to know your kid and make a judgment call on what they think they are ready for.
I'm not going to read this whole post because it's obvious I was misunderstood, but I just wanted to point out that I think this is a bit harsh. I don't personally think keeping kids away from violence is the correct way, nor do I think ignoring their gaming lifestyle is correct either. If you shelter your kid, he won't understand what violence is about, and if you ignore him he can take violence incorrectly and negatively. But if you watch how you expose him to violence, you can let him learn why it's bad. But that's just me... Personally I have been playing Wolfenstein 3D and Doom since I was 7 or 8, and I turned out okay...
It's thinking...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

|darc| wrote:When the HELL did I say anything about his parenting abilities?
I don't think that even you are stupid enough to believe that cop out. If you think you can tell him to grow up when he was talking about him dealing with his son, without it being interpreted as 'you're a parent and shouldn't be caring about things like that anymore', then I think it's you who has to grow up.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

He's just trolling, but this time it's not funny like it is/was in Current Events.
Very sexy hero, omg