Debian NEEDED Help

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Debian NEEDED Help

Post by zickfun »

O.K. so i got the first CD of Debian 3.0r1 and i installed it and all from a magazine (aus. people if u can help me go buy a copy of APC and help me find what i did wrong please or burrow a copy) and i followed all the instructions and it was all fine and dandy until i booted up after installation...it brang me to something called apt-get or something after i configured the time and stuff. it was horrible the 'dselect' proggy but the mag told me to skip it anywayz and i used the other thing called 'tasksel' so i selected X windows, Desktop enviro., Debian JR. (don't laugh :(), dial up and chinese support. and then it brang me to this prompt and then i red inside the magazine that you needed an internet connection and OMFG! i had a Soft modem so crap i new my Debian adventure was over...but is there another way to do it I mean the the Mag came with another CD and said it contained like the most popular programs from apt-get so i presume it's got KDE, KDM and X but it didn't start up when the isntallation took me back to BASh and i typed in 'startx' (previously used mandrake so i guess it's the same thing-now lost otherwise i would be using that, lagged badly when i had my tnt2m64 and at the time WINE didn't work with warcraft 3), also i tried another distribuation i had somewhere under my bed called Lycoris LX and it sucked but at least it booted up into X and loaded KDE but konquerer was all screwed up and everytime I tried to go into a cd-rom drive it didn't work and the damn thing didn't even have binutils so i couldn't install the nvidia drivers for my gf4ti4200...

SOMEBODY HELP ME!
I will switch to Linux permanately if I get my modem to work and my gfx card to with Lycoris/Debian...tommorow i might be getting a copy of mandrake 9 again so i might install that but i would like to seriously try to get Debian up and running...

FINAL THING
is there a difference between mandrake 9 and 9.1?
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

BTW the buld for the lycoris setup is 61
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

also my modem in windows is a 'Generix Softk56' if that helps although it's manufactured my Netcomm...i doubt its a rockwell chip as well
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Is your modem an internal one, or an external one?

If it's external, you should be fine. All external modems are "real" modems - they perform all the functions that a modem should do.

If it's internal, you could have a problem. Most internal modems are software modems, also refered to as "WinModems". Basically, these are just a telephone interface. All of the modulation/demodulation is done using driver software. All of these modems are, of course, totally incompatable with each other, and require proprietary software. This software is, of course, available for Windows but nothing else. There are some Linux drivers for these modems, but they aren't for many chipsets.

After some simple Googling (remember, Google is your friend), it seems that your modem is a software modem, so it will need special drivers, if any exist at all for Linux.

The easiest way would probably be to buy an external modem. They're a little more expensive, but they work more reliably (even under Windows), they all work under Linux, and just about every OS that exists, and they don't place any extra load on your system.

http://www.linmodems.org/ has some information on software modems under Linux. You'll need to identify the chipset that the modem uses (the model number usually doesn't help too much). You can check the manual (it's a long shot, but try anyway) for this information, or you can try searching the 'net.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:V1 ... n&ie=UTF-8

http://www.linmodems.org/

thats all i really could come up with.. never figured out how to use my winmodem when I had dialup :(

EDIT: BlackAura posted the same time as me :P
It's thinking...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Eww... Lycoris.

I don't suppose you have access to any higher speed 'net access, do you? I'm on dial-up, but I've downloaded a copy of RedHat 8 off of my university's servers (at Uni, at a speed of about 3MB/s) and burned it to CDs up there. Unfortunately, Disc 1 got corrupted (slow hard drive, high-speed burner, lousy computer) so I need to do it again, but it's a good idea in principle.

Failing that, all we have to work with is a Windows system with dialup 'net access, a half-finished Debian installation, and a second disc with some packages on it...

I'll have to give this some thought, but it might be possible to rescue it. I've never actually used Debian though. I'll see if I can get hold of a copy of APC on Friday. I need some working install discs to play around with anyway.
WiseMonkey
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by WiseMonkey »

ugh why dose everyone insist on using that horrid red hat distro. anyway as for your modem, im willing to bet that its an hsf modem based on the softk56 name. and youre in luck cause thats a connexant chipset and lthey are some of the best supported winmodems around. http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/ the drivers can be found at that adress. if youre dead set on bebian(which is great) try getting a hold of the latest knoppix, and do a hard drive install, there are some links to tutorials on hot to do it at knoppix.net once you install it you basically have a debian testing system. anyway i wish you well with your linux endeavors and if you need any help i'll be around
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't actually use RedHat - I just needed a Linux system to install, so I could get everything set up right. It would have been deleted after a week or so, but I never even installed the thing.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

o.k. so i decided that debian would be WAY to hard for me to install (but if someone helps me install x then i will be eternally grateful/modem/video card/wine)...i just kept getting error's and stuff so i got a copy of mandrake 8 (formatted this machine back to windows until i get my 80gb tommorow maybe today) couldn't find 9. so i installed it and all was well but then when i tried to install my nvidia drivers (latest build) i did the 'sh nvidia-bla bla bla' and it said u needed binutils so i found it on the mandrake cd and when i went into console/bash not in x i thought i had it all and then it gave me some cheap error that i forgot and then it wouldn't compile also i tried upgrading the kernal and when i did make mrproper then make x it said wish command not found i g2g now somebody help me
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I've got a copy of APC, and I've been playing around with it using VMWare (that thing is so useful). I'll see if I can get it to install without a working 'net connection.

Sounds like you've not got any development tools on the Mandrake disc though. You'd be best off installing a complete toolchain (GCC, Binutils, all that stuff) even if you don't do any programming.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I can't get Debian to work properly under VMWare (graphics card problems), so I might need to test it on a real PC (with a GeForce 2).

However, I got pretty much everything to install, and it all seems to be fine.

First off, do not touch the extras disc (CD3). It seems to screw the rest of the installer up. When it asks you if you have any more CDs, say "no".

Use the tasksel, and select what you want. I recommend all of the user stuff, the C/C++ compiler, and anything else you might want. When you're done, press tab until "Finish" is hilighted in blue, and press enter. Do not press escape.

When if asks you if you want to use dselect, say "no". That should be the default if tasksel worked properly. If "yes" is the default, then it's screwed up.

After that, you should be able to follow all of the prompts.