So how is everyone equipped these days?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

Where do you do your gaming?

Nintendo Wii
14%
Playstation 3
6%
Xbox 360
15%
PC
16%
DS
13%
PSP
3%
Dreamcast (heh)
15%
sticking with previous generation
7%
mobile phone, iPod, etc.
5%
don't really game any more
5%

Total votes: 118
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So how is everyone equipped these days?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Subject. Feel free to elaborate in comments.

How are you feeling about this console generation? Where are your efforts directed, and what do you like/dislike?

Personally, I've got a Wii (which I use mostly for Smash Bros. and GameCube games), a PS3 (which I use mostly for PS2 games and Blu-Ray/DVDs, though Little Big Planet is pretty fun), and a DS. I don't really have games on anything else. The PS3 I like, partially because it's also a good set-top box, but its library hasn't really matured yet.

I was initially very excited about the Wii, but it's looking more and more like a lot of wasted potential. I almost wish I'd just stuck with my GameCube and saved the money.

My DS has gotten more than enough use to justify its existence, but hasn't seen much action for a while. What little gaming I have been doing has mostly been PS2 games.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: So how is everyone equipped these days?

Post by |darc| »

Wii: Hardly ever play, except for Wii Sports sometimes if I have guests over
PC: Used to play CS over the summer, haven't played anything in a while, will probably pick up GTA IV
DS: Never play, will probably play Mother 3 English when I get some time
Dreamcast: Hardly play
iPhone: Don't really game on it

In short, I don't really game much anymore...
It's thinking...
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

360 and Wii. I'm already bored of the Wii though after only having it for a few months. I thought there were more games I wanted to play, but all those games I've already beaten by now or were disappointing to the point that they're just not even worth playing. Oh, and there's nothing even announced that I'm slightly interested in. If I weren't a packrat I'd probably sell it for more 360 games, I need to catch up on 360 games that I've missed out on since I got the Wii.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Wii: Homebrew Chanel nes/snes emulator

Dreamcast : i havent play it in a while mostly i play nes emulator but wii is covering that......

Xbox360 : Around 2 hours online a day (rigth now is on M$ repair thnxs to my first RRoD) playing mostly Gears of war 2 or Call of duty 4 ......weekends is all about Rockband......

PC: Since i got the xb360 i forgot about games on my pc , except for the MAME with arcade joysticks......
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wii: Talk about sporadic. It seems to get a truckload of crap games and then that one particular game that keeps me playing for hours. So either I'm playing the hell out of it when that one killer game comes along, or I never touch it. And although it makes a nice emulation box, the updates are starting to make the whole thing more complicated, and I'm personally getting tired of fighting when my Xbox can do it more efficiently...just with a crappier controller.

360: My least used current-gen system. I think only 3 games have ever come along worth investing more than a couple of hours in. Looking at my shelf, Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skate are about all I have really played on the system. Granted those three games have taken up more than 200 hours of my time. Actually, my 360 is better suited for downloadable content, like Braid, Prince of Persia, Ikaruga, Rez...lots of good stuff, but nothing that I have invested tons of time in (primarily because all those games are pretty short). The new Xbox Experience is okay, but designed for Live players, and I just don't get into online gaming, so it's mostly useless to me.

PS3: Easily my most used console. Great for movies, improves my PS2 games on a HDTV, the best online store for downloading stuff, a nice web browser for surfing on my TV...pretty much everything but PS3 games. And it's not because it doesn't have any good games. It's because the PS3 gets the shaft when it comes to multi-console titles. Most of the time PS3 versions of games are hit with terrible framerates, blurry graphics, and hosts of technical problems that the 360 versions don't have to deal with. If developers could level the playing field more and make their games run awesome on both systems, I wouldn't even need my 360.

PSP: Crisis Core is the only PSP game I own. The rest of the library is...lacking, to say the least. But as a handheld emulator, the system kicks ass. And that's where the majority of my PSP use comes from. Despite that, however, my PSP is rarely used.

DS: Best current-gen system. It beats out all handhelds and consoles. Really, this device is the perfect gaming device. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I've used this system. There's just so much good stuff available for it, and that doesn't even include the GBA content, which BTW is great for playing my Mother 3 translation. Awesome, awesome system.

iPhone: Potentially awesome, but I absolutely hate surfing the App Store to find anything. And though I do have a couple of good games for it, the phone's touch surface is terrible for gaming. If I could use a stylus, I might like it, but having my finger block the screen trying to interact with a game is mostly distracting and annoying. Maybe later in it's life a good game will show up, but certainly not now.

PC: Completely wasted. Spore took up a good chuck of time, but for the amount of money I sunk in it to make it a killer gaming machine, I don't use it for gaming at all. I plan to give up PC gaming altogether.

Retro: Most of my retro gaming is really just novelty anymore. I'll break out a SNES or Dreamcast game and play it for an hour or two to bring back memories, then forget about it again.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Been ridiculously busy this semester trying to finish up school.

Wii: When I'm home I play. Still working on LoZ:TP and Guitar Hero III. Intend to play through Super Luigi Galaxy afterwards, and while I'm home I do Wii fit (mostly yoga and the games) and Wii Sports (to get my mother to do them, keep active and whatnot). Have Zack and Wiki and Spongebob waiting to start on, but want to finish Twilight Princess first

PC: Got Galactic Civilizations 2: Endless Universe a week before release through bizzaro and have put about 100 or so hours into that. Have a few others installed, mostly 4X games, then Total Overdose for my fun FPS fix (love that game).

DC: Try to poke in on devving at least once a week write a line or two, port a tiny game and I've managed to do so. As for games, I have the Wii set up in the living room, and a DC both in my room and basement typically for Bust-A-Move 4 and Super Puzzle Fighter IIX.

Other: SNES hooked up, rest is packed up due to having moved and not had time to unpack. 3 arcade machines set up in the basement though (Street Fighter II CE, Star Wars Episode I Arcade Racer, and Lethal Enforcers) as well as an Apple IIgs. They all see a fair share of use.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

So, in my case, here's what I have done lately:

Wii - Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Homebrew, Gamecube Games, and occasionally some Super Smash Bros. Brawl. That's about it on the Wii.

360 - Been playing Tales of Vesperia and a bit of the various Guitar Hero games. Every once in a great while I'll play some Halo 3.

DS - Been hooked on the Phoenix Wright games recently, plus its always fun to go back and play all the old Final Fantasy games on the GBA.

Dreamcast - Still writing code, and every once in a while I'll break out a game for the nostalgia of it.

Other than that, I have plenty of consoles hooked up in my dorm room, but most sit unused most of the time (Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, Saturn, Genesis/Sega CD/32X, PS1).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I am absolutely loving this generation of gaming. During the PS2/XBOX/GC generation I pretty much stopped gaming altogether. Despite owning 2 of the 3 consoles for 3-4 years, I can only think of 3 games I actually completed. I assumed with a full-time job on the way things would stay this way, and Ilaughed at myself when I dropped all that cash on a PS3.

The thing is though, I am gaming like crazy right now.Everyday I get a good 3-4 hours in at least, and I'm loving loads of stuff that's coming out. Everything I have looked forward to so far has met my expectations.

This was never the case with the previous generation. I think the problem for me was there were too many games back then trying to do what they're doing now on the PS3/360/ - but the technology wasn't there. Everything always fell short of what I wanted.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

For me:
360 - I havent really played it for months. I used to play it into the ground when Halo 3 came out.

PSP - I finally picked one up. At the moment, I only use it for playing Street Fighter Alpha 3, but I will have it hacked in about a week or 2.

DC - I was just playing a few rounds of MvC2 with some friends on Saturday. I think the GD-Rom is dying =/

Other - I still play my Gamecube every now and then. I was a very late adaptor and got one (for free for some DVDs) in May 2008. I have plenty of games that I could play on it before I even think of getting a Wii. I also plan to mod it/get sd media launcher. I use my Xbox for emulation still, and I need a fan for my PS2.
Last edited by Eviltaco64X on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Xbox360 - I've had it for about 8 months now and it maybe has had about 8 hours of play. I have a bunch of games for it, but I just can't get into anything for it.

PS2 - My only other system, and it gets used pretty much daily. I have a huge backlog of rpgs I want to beat. Persona 4 also comes out next week, so it will get a ton of play.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

360, though I mainly use it for media.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Wii (modded) - Rarely sees any play now that nothing new is out that I want.

360 (modded) - I use this around the clock-- I have a ton of games that I'd love to play, and playing over Live is absolutely flawless. Probably gets a good hour per day or so. Easily has the best library of games out, the best downloadables, and good exclusives.

PS3 - I mainly use this as my 'media' device, and I have a couple of console-specific games for it. I don't really care for the controller too much compared to 360, and as mel said the PS3 gets screwed over for multi console games. I don't agree with his statement that this has the best store, the content here (other than EchoChrome) is somewhat limited, boring and not worth my time.

PC - I've never been a PC gamer, and I never will be. End of story. Just sold my Core 2 Quad / 8800 / 8gb ram computer because it was only being used as a media server. Fail.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Wii: Use it when family is around, more interested in emulation and homebrew on it
360: Bulk of my proper gaming happens on here, plenty of media use too
DS: havent touched it in a while

Don't use my PC for gaming, wouldn't buy a current-gen Sony machine as neither have any games worth having
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

MulletMan13 wrote:I don't agree with his statement that this has the best store, the content here (other than EchoChrome) is somewhat limited, boring and not worth my time.
Talking specifically about the Playstation Store, it's more functional than the 360's store. The organization of the PSN is much better and quicker to find what you want. I didn't like the 360's layout before, and I think it's worse with the new experience. Not to mention the PS3 is better suited for movie downloads with its bigger hard drive (at least in my case). Game content-wise, I could go either way. They share much of the same content anyway.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

melancholy wrote:
MulletMan13 wrote:I don't agree with his statement that this has the best store, the content here (other than EchoChrome) is somewhat limited, boring and not worth my time.
Talking specifically about the Playstation Store, it's more functional than the 360's store. The organization of the PSN is much better and quicker to find what you want. I didn't like the 360's layout before, and I think it's worse with the new experience. Not to mention the PS3 is better suited for movie downloads with its bigger hard drive (at least in my case). Game content-wise, I could go either way. They share much of the same content anyway.
You're right -- PSN is far better organized. I guess I never really looked into it content-wise, but as far as I could tell PSN only had about 51 XBLA-type games on it. And I also agree that with the NXE, it fails miserably.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

360. 24/7
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I've sold my GameCube shortly after Wii was released, so the newest machine I own would be Dreamcast.

Since I am not a big gamer, I am using it for 'doing stuff' mostly (DCEvolution projects, modding Beats of Rage, testing emulators), but I also enjoy playing some of the shmups, fighters and homebrews every once in a while.

During the 90s I collected dozens of systems, from A2600 to N64, but I never use any of them, and for playing NeoGeo I am perfectly happy with my Saturn and Neo4All/CD on Dreamcast, so I'll probably sell this stuff someday soon.

My fetish would be Mega Drive so I got all kinds of funky hardware variants. - The only non-SEGA machine I plan to keep would be my Super Famicom.
Insane homebrew collector.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

BoneyCork wrote:I am absolutely loving this generation of gaming. During the PS2/XBOX/GC generation I pretty much stopped gaming altogether. Despite owning 2 of the 3 consoles for 3-4 years, I can only think of 3 games I actually completed. I assumed with a full-time job on the way things would stay this way, and Ilaughed at myself when I dropped all that cash on a PS3.
I was actually thinking about this the other day. The last generation of console was more or less the black sheep of gaming. With the exception of a few titles, most of what was coming out felt like shovelware.

This generation reminds me of the Dreamcast's in the sense that there's a constant stream of great looking titles coming out that I'd like to play. On Dreamcast, there was Jet Grind Radio, Grandia 2, Shenmue, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, etc. Now it's games like BioShock, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Fallout 3... definitely a good time to be into gaming.

Anyway, right now I'm trying to finish up fall semester at school, but over winter break, I plan to spend the most gaming time with my 360.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DS: Best current-gen system. It beats out all handhelds and consoles. Really, this device is the perfect gaming device. I couldn't tell you the number of hours I've used this system. There's just so much good stuff available for it, and that doesn't even include the GBA content, which BTW is great for playing my Mother 3 translation. Awesome, awesome system.
Really interesting that you said this. I have owned a Nintendo handheld from every generation, but they were always just "for when I'm not at home" gaming machines. DS is the first handheld I've bought that gets really good use at home. I don't think it's really because of the hardware, but just a fantastic library of games coming out.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

How in the hell are there 78 votes?!