Best Zelda?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

Choose Wisely:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)
6%
Zelda 2: Link's Adventure (NES)
2%
Link to the Past (SNES)
25%
Link's Awakening (GB)
15%
Ocarina of Time (N64)
25%
Majora's Mask (N64)
No votes
Oracle of Seasons/Ages (GBC)
No votes
The Wind Waker (Cube)
13%
The Minish Cap (GBA)
No votes
Twilight Princess (Wii)
13%
Phantom Hourglass (DS)
No votes
I don't really like Zelda.
2%

Total votes: 48
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Zelda?

Post by MulletMan13 »

Minish Cap also had me not willing to play through it.

I stopped a few hours in when I got a new sword, and have no intentions of picking it up again.

Is it worth it to play through it?
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I thought Minish Cap was excellent. The second to last dungeon was annoying as hell, but most of that game was extremely fun to me. Plus I felt it had a better ending than other Zelda games. In fact, I've been contemplating starting Minish Cap again instead of continuing with Phantom Hourglass.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Did anything happen on Minish cap if you collected every statue from that one mini game?

Minish cap wasn't too bad of a game. Worth playing through IMO.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Veggita2099 wrote:Did anything happen on Minish cap if you collected every statue from that one mini game?

Minish cap wasn't too bad of a game. Worth playing through IMO.
I never found out. I got around 3/4 of them before the odds of getting new ones became too crazy.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Having thought about it, I'm going to have to say Twilight Princess, followed by Ocarina of Time.

The only reason that Wind Waker wasn't up there is because I never got more than a few hours into it. The first time I tried playing it, I got up to the first castle thing, where you have to avoid the pigs by crawling around in a barrel for an hour. I nearly got to the end of it, but got fed up. Months later, I tried again, but someone had deleted my save game. I got all the way back up to that same point, got fed up with it again, and gave up again.

Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time were really pretty similar. For the most part, Twilight Princess is just a larger, more refined version of Ocarina of Time, in much the same way that Link to the Past was a more refined version of Zelda 1.

So basically, Twilight Princess wins purely because it's newer, and benefits from the last ten years of game development. To me, it just feels like a better version of the same game.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

a link to the past (snes) is still one of my favorites.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

The Legend of Zelda the original and creative engine of the series is still the most enjoyable game of the series. I do dislike the new Zelda game. I thought they lost touch with the series. The story is too linear without the room to explore on your own. The snes version is very good which made the gbc version alright. I do like Minish Cap on the gba. That was different and a good play through. Majora's Mask and Ocrina's of Time are o.k. I would put them ahead of Twilight Princess. They are certainly more enjoyable. I would like to see the series return to the Legend of Zelda format. Not the graphics, but the open storyline where you can travel the world and discover the dungeons and equipment without the aid of linear thought plot and story lines to move you through the game. All you need is an opening plot line and when you reach the end boss. Use a closing story line. In between that. Use minimal story and plot dialogue. There is far two much fmv and talk in the newer Zelda games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I would like to see the series return to the Legend of Zelda format. Not the graphics, but the open storyline where you can travel the world and discover the dungeons and equipment without the aid of linear thought plot and story lines to move you through the game.
But that's what annoys me about the original Zelda (and other open games like Metroid). I take no pleasure in getting lost or backtracking. The fun parts are the dungeons and developing the story, so I want the game to lead me along to those.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

BoneyCork wrote:
I would like to see the series return to the Legend of Zelda format. Not the graphics, but the open storyline where you can travel the world and discover the dungeons and equipment without the aid of linear thought plot and story lines to move you through the game.
But that's what annoys me about the original Zelda (and other open games like Metroid). I take no pleasure in getting lost or backtracking. The fun parts are the dungeons and developing the story, so I want the game to lead me along to those.
I loved the open storyline because if you got lost -- you would run into a side-quest. Nowadays I don't have any need/want to do any of the out of way sidequests because I know exactly where I'm going. I also dislike getting lost, but when you're distracted by sidequests it makes it all worthwhile.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MulletMan13 wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I loved the open storyline because if you got lost -- you would run into a side-quest. Nowadays I don't have any need/want to do any of the out of way sidequests because I know exactly where I'm going. I also dislike getting lost, but when you're distracted by sidequests it makes it all worthwhile.
Agreed. I often get frustrated when I get lost and can't tell a side-quest from the main quest, but ultimately this makes it a better game.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

MulletMan13 wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
I didn't get distracted by sidequests in the original Zelda though. I just got lost on many occasions.
RMD
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RMD »

Wow i'm suprised as many people liked wind waker as me.